Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: any telephone tinkers here? :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited February 2019 in Off Topic
For personal reasons my wife and I still prefer land lines. We now have 2 base phones which have 5 wireless satellites. I want to keep one satellite in my work shop. Since I frequently might have some equipment or electrical tool running I'd like to convert that phone from ringing to instead triggering a flashing red light somehow.  I'm sure that some such equipment is available for the hearing impaired, but since this is wireless I doubt that equipment would work.  

Anybody have an idea how to do that?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You would need a phone jack in that room to activate the light going on/flashing. Then just turn off ringer on wireless handset.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    You would need a phone jack in that room to activate the light going on/flashing. Then just turn off ringer on wireless handset.

That's what I was thinking as well, but the nearest wire to a jack is 35 feet away.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd be surprised if there aren't already wireless phone sets on the market that have some sort of "light trigger" for the hearing impaired.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd check out what tech exists for the hearing impaired.

Your post got me thinking... it's been 17 years since I had a landline.  I googled it, and you are not alone Ron.  As of last year, 40% of households still have a landline.  

Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you're running a table saw, you'll be concentrating on that and probably won't see the light anyway. Just let 'em leave a message and call back. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    If you're running a table saw, you'll be concentrating on that and probably won't see the light anyway. Just let 'em leave a message and call back. 
    I agree Michael, but the way my shop is set up I would have my back to the phone while using my most dangerous stationary tools of table saw, radial arm saw, chop saw and lathe. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    blasting said:

Your post got me thinking... it's been 17 years since I had a landline.  I googled it, and you are not alone Ron.  As of last year, 40% of households still have a landline.  

Still have a landline. Still get the newspaper delivered everyday.
    Not all the dinosaurs have died just yet. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wish I could afford a satellite phone!
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

Still have a landline. Still get the newspaper delivered everyday.
    Not all the dinosaurs have died just yet. :)

Landline gone ~3 years ago when I gave that number to teen #2
    Just got rid of 'delivered' paper, still get it on my iPad app
    Getting close to saying goodbye to Cable- testing Direct TV Now and You Tube TV.  They both have + and - for us.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ...and Ron has FIVE of them!!!
    Options
    My coworker always says, "How would I find my cell phone if I didn't have a landline?" 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When I first read the title my hunch was that you was wanting to know how to make a fish shocker out of an old 5 bar phone. Atlas, I was mistaken.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    I agree Michael, but the way my shop is set up I would have my back to the phone while using my most dangerous stationary tools of table saw, radial arm saw, chop saw and lathe. 
    So the light would only be usable a small amount of time?  I also have a woodworking past and in our cabinet shop no one was allowed to carry their phone. Too many dangerous tools that need full concentration.  I vote skip it.  Even if you don’t directly see the light you will surely notice some kinda flash.  All it take is a quick lapse and an appendage is gone.  IMHO 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • HogFather
    Options
    What you do is ya buy these and then you drill a bunch on holes along the top of your handset. Wire them in a series and snip the wire going to the speaker to power them. When the phone rings it lights up.

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • RRP
    Options
    OK OK OK - no phone so no light advice needed! 
    Thanks for the responses anyway!
    Topic closed!!!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
     Just get a 750’ cord and walk around your house with the phone.  Problem solved.   Thank me lagern.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Hook it up to a bell
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Rube Goldberg 
    Options
    My only landline and yes it works....check the number 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Ron said this topic is CLOSED!!   =)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HogFather
    Options
    I told him how to fix it! What else does he want
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I've got a VOIP phone which is connected to my Wifi, but is also plugged into my house's "land line" system, with old-style phones in the basement and bedroom, and a "cordless" phone next to my easy chair.
    Don't know if that counts as a "land line", or hybrid, or what.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• thetrim
    Options
    I bet Ron owns a flip phone.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nope
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Yes, two of them to be exact! Both are in our two regular drivers in case of calling out for some road emergency.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I bet he owns the phone company =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    Options
    I still Ron runs lines like a Fahkin bossssss!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I still Ron runs lines like a Fahkin bossssss!
    huh?