Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why I Only Use RockWood Lump

Options

Edwardsville, IL (Near St. Louis, MO)
Large Big Green Egg & Weber Genesis II 

Comments

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I picked up three bags this past week at local Ace stores around Sarasota. Here is a 25% off coupon to save you around $6 a bag.  https://cdn-tp3.mozu.com/24645-m1/cms/files/d664c2b0-7e00-43ec-b7d2-8c2dc98dfb7d
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Because the sales folks at my local ACE are so aggressive and obnoxious, I stopped during business there.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Because the sales folks at my local ACE are so aggressive and obnoxious, I stopped during business there.  
    Sorry to hear that.  We're lucky here--our local Ace is a great group of people.  Tiny store, but if they don't have it, they'll tell you exactly where to get what you need.  Every store is different though in ownership and employees.  I'll take it any day over the big box places though.

We also ship to SunSouth in Auburn, AL (the John Deere dealer.)
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Sometimes I like to wander around a hardware store and just look, or inventory what they have... it can get annoying when someone asks you what you need every 30 seconds.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    It’s also annoying when you are clearly struggling for time and can’t find what you are looking for at HD... and some one in a orange apron rushes by the isle without making eye contact or looks away a soon as you try to flag them down.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2019
    Options

I agree with @alaskanasssasin with his take on HD. Most of the employees are so busy gossipping with each other, and oblivious to the customers that strugge to find what they came there to buy. I usually pull up the product on my phone to find the isle and bay number, and then can find it on my own.

On the other hand, my Westlake ACE employees are nice and eager to help when I walk in the door.  They have a nice BBQ department, so I usually head straight to it to get my Rockwood or smoking woods, rubs, sauces, etc.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s the only stuff many of us buy, largely due to the ratio of quality to price.  The owner is a pretty good guy too, or so I’ve been told...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    edited February 2019
    Options

The downside is that they are usually half carbonized, smoke like snoop on his birthday and produce ash the way Cazzy produces children.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Sometimes I like to wander around a hardware store and just look, or inventory what they have... it can get annoying when someone asks you what you need every 30 seconds.
    Reminds me of myself some 60 years ago on the first day of working in my aunt and uncle's independent hardware store. Intially after completing some menial jobs the store got busy so my uncle nodded for me to greet a customer as he came in. In my nervousness I walked right up to him and blurted out "what do you want?"
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @RRP its a good thing you have narrowed your product line down to one item, that should take the guess work out of it =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    RRP said:
    Reminds me of myself some 60 years ago on the first day of working in my aunt and uncle's independent hardware store. Intially after completing some menial jobs the store got busy so my uncle nodded for me to greet a customer as he came in. In my nervousness I walked right up to him and blurted out "what do you want?"

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Went to Lowe's for the first time in a long time this morning. It's a longer drive but I walked away impressed. I even saw some Akorn grills for sale inside including one marked down as being defective.

By comparison, Home Depot seems way more disorganized and stocks lower quality goods as far as I could tell.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

The downside is that they are usually half carbonized, smoke like snoop on his birthday and produce ash the way Cazzy produces children.

Yeah...I thought that was a pretty solid string of words as well.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Yeah...I thought that was a pretty solid string of words as well.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you are judging the quality of your lump by the size of the chunks then you are getting screwed!  Lazarri Mesquite lump at RD is like 14 cents a pound and  they have full logs in there. The downside is that they are usually half carbonized, smoke like snoop on his birthday and produce ash the way Cazzy produces children.

All kidding aside, large chunks don't mean squat when it comes to quality of the lump- I would personally break that chunk in your hand down with a hammer before burning it. Dust is bad but small pieces of lump are not an indicator of poor quality (just as large chunks are not an indicator of good quality).

I'm 100% RW too FWIW but the size of the lump has nothing to do with it. If i got a whole bag filled with golf ball sized lump I would be a happy guy.
    I'm tired of this forum BS... WTF can't I like AND agree with a post?!?!?!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jonathon needs to make some MAGA hats that simply read ROCKWOOD. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Judson
    Judson Posts: 19
    Options
    Legume said:
    There’s always some guy saying size doesn’t matter and trying to convince everyone else.
    hahahahahha
    Aspiring amateur griller/smoker

Chicago
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    There’s always some guy saying size doesn’t matter and trying to convince everyone else.
    8 inches

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker that’s to funny. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    smoke like snoop on his birthday and produce ash the way Cazzy produces children. 
     You won the internet. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's