Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Beef

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited February 2019 in EggHead Forum

Pit beef is something I hadn’t tried before and when I scored a good deal on some eye of round, I added it to the menu.  It was a 4.5lb hunk of meat that I trimmed down to remove fat and silverskin. Leftover oxtail marinade was used in allowing the meat to marinate for a little over a day.  It was cooked sous vide for 24 hours at 131F, followed by an ice bath and overnight stint in the fridge.

The standard pit beef rub was applied and the meat was heated up to 100F on the Egg using
oak and cherry wood, with the Egg dialed in at 250F.

Once the meat hit 100F, I pulled it and cranked the temp up to 450F to get a good sear.

I figured I would end up with a medium-well temp cooking the meat this way and I was right.

A fluffy kaiser roll, lots of tiger sauce which was made the day before and a small pile of fries
made for a tasty dinner.

The pit beef was super tender.  In fact, I’d have preferred a bit more chew.  Next time I’ll try
cooking it indirect and then finish it by searing.  The tiger sauce was a new thing for me
and I’m glad I gave it a go.  The marinade added a good deal of flavor to the crust and some
seemed to permeate the interior, most likely due to the sous vide cook.

I couldn’t help but fix a sandwich akin to a cheesesteak.  Beef broth along with the liquid from
the sous vide cook was used to make some au jus.  This was added to the pit beef and onions to enhance their flavor and encourage browning.  A mozzarella cheese sauce was made to
drench the pit beef cheesesteak and a hoagie roll was split, coated in garlic butter and pan
toasted on a cast iron griddle.

It really hit the spot.  Deliciously good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments