Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Drunk Drivers

Friday my nieces husband dropped her and my grandnephew( in the picture) off at the preschool that she manages. He then continued to his place of employment at a decorative ironworks. Then a drunk driver, without insurance, rammed his 4 door pickup into the back end of their new one month old Prius Prime. It was my nieces favorite color and the first new vehicle for either of them. More  important 20 minutes earlier that little boy had been in the back seat. His father got by with a concussion and two days of vertigo. Drunk all you want to but don't drive afterwards.

Comments

• I lost my oldest brother when he was 17.  He was riding his bike home from work and the lady that hit him thought she hit a tree branch...Don't drink and drive.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    Gcg, Thank goodness there were no injuries worse than a concussion.
    XL BGE and L BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    As above, could have been much worse.  But dang, if I read it right, this is the beginning of the work day.  Serious alcohol issues or coming off shift work?  Regardless, no excuses especially with all the other options out there. 
    Some will never learn.  And others will pay the price. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • It is a 24 hour world with three shifts . But given the location and the lack of insurance he likely was unemployed. The time would have been shortly after 6 am.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm glad to hear that's the extent of his injuries. Looking at that damage, he is very lucky. Good on Toyota for designing those cars with energy dispersion like that. 
  • I work in an operating room and saw a 12 year old lose his life last week as a result of a drunk driver .....at 7am. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • I'm assuming the scumbag drunk driver didn't just drive off afterwards right? The car can be replaced the kiddo cant. Hopefully the idiot goes to jail for a bit to gain a dose of reality.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• He started to run off but the truck wouldn’t go.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I was an EMS helicopter pilot for 10 yrs.  When people asked me what I did for a living, I said "Saved the lives of the drunk, stoned, and stupid."  Seriously.....80-90% of scene responses we did were alcohol or drug related.  Even the motorcycle accidents were rarely the rider getting struck or run off the road by a car--most were loss of control because the rider was drunk and speeding.  I can't remember how many times were out at a scene at 2AM landing in the middle of an intersection surrounded by powerlines, trees, and light poles to pick up the injured drunk driver (because the person(s) they hit was already dead.)  I don't miss that job nor the nightmares that went with it.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    On Super Bowl Sunday I worked a DUI checkpoint. Over the course of 10 hours, there were 22 DUI arrests and three felony child endangerment arrests. This checkpoint was well announced in the local media and well announced on the road prior to the checkpoint. 
    Kinda makes one wonder how many of these idiots are always on the road. 
    Unfortunately we can't catch enough of them to deter the behavior. 
    Las Vegas, NV

Straight to firing squad then as far as I'm concerned.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

I would rather that he be jailed. While jailed he be dropped of at a job every day and picked up every evening. His income to be forfeited to pay for his jail costs and the damage that he has done. Why should he get the easy way out?
    I would rather that he be jailed. While jailed he be dropped of at a job every day and picked up every evening. His income to be forfeited to pay for his jail costs and the damage that he has done. Why should he get the easy way out?
    I’m ok with that mostly. Except I don’t want some scumbag drunk driver making decisions at any job more complex than elevator button pusher. If they are dumb enough to drink and drive I don’t really want them working somewhere that they could and most likely would make another bonehead move.

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    On Super Bowl Sunday I worked a DUI checkpoint. Over the course of 10 hours, there were 22 DUI arrests and three felony child endangerment arrests. This checkpoint was well announced in the local media and well announced on the road prior to the checkpoint. 
    Easiest arrest you can make.  I used to take the newbies out for one hour at the start of a night shift - always bagged one, any day of the week.  
    We always ran our Christmas campaign from mid-November, bagged one at 0800 on the first day during the last year I had an ops command role.   

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • stlcharcoal
    I always have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of those.  Since they're announced, there are social media and targeted tweets dedicated to informing, plenty of people know to avoid them.  So unless the dept is paying a bunch of overtime, that means the force from that area is being concentrated in one area, leaving the other areas unpatrolled or under patrolled.

For me it comes down to the hypocrisy in my town.  There are two areas where the bars are and the DUI checkpoint they set up is not on the exit from those bars (it's within viewing distance from one nightlife area, which means everybody that leaves those 3-4 bars makes a left rather than a right and goes around them.)  They'll nab 1-2 drivers, but I know damn well DOZENS were leaving the bars in town.  If they were really serious about, they'd set up those checkpoints on both sides of where people leave those bars.  But that's not going to happen because the bar owners and their tax money would never let that happen.  It seems more like a show of force around here--I don't like being delayed in that line and stopped without any reasonable articulable suspicion.  They know exactly where plenty of drunks are.....go set up over there and stop blocking a state highway.

Sounds like the one you had was effective though.  I liked what the Sheriff used to do out in the country.....the put up a sign on I-44 near a tight turn that said "DRUG CHECKPOINT 1/4 mi AHEAD.  Be prepared to STOP.  Dogs in USE"  People would panic and get off at the exit right there and then run the stop sign when they got on the outer road.  Up behind a bunch trees there was an unmarked SUV watching and recording it all, then they'd radio to the marked cars a half mile down the road to pull them over.  They nailed so many people with just 3-4 guys on that task force.
  • They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    Unannounced....fine.  But how is it legal to stop someone who turns around (so long as they do not commit a traffic violation in doing so?)  Its just like an officer claiming they have the right to search your car if you refuse a search.....plenty of case law says refusing to surrender your rights is not RAS nor grounds for a warrant.  

The local guys told me the same thing.....if we see anybody get off at the Shell station prior to the checkpoint, we just pull them over anyway.  Not legal.

There used to be "safety checks" over in IL.....East St. Louis specifically.  They would set up checkpoints and check peoples licenses, insurance, and registration.   If you were white or have out of state plates, they'd wave you right through.  But otherwise you'd be stopped.  They issued a ton of tickets since it was a poor neighborhood and people didnt know their rights.  Never saw a single one of those in the nicer areas in the 24 yrs I lived in IL. 
  • I am just glad that nobody was killed, and very thankful the little one was not in the back at the time.

My mother was struck in her car at 1pm at a stoplight by a guy driving a truck who blew a 0.35 on the breathalyzer.   He also did not have insurance.  She walked away with a mild concussion but had some after effects.   The Volvo stationwagon she was in looked a lot like that Prius - totally pancaked.

I would just advise your neice’s husband to be mindful during his recovery.  That kind of an impact is pretty rough.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Also to get an attorney 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• I imagine that their insurance company will take him to court and maybe they can piggyback on the case. I also imagine that he hasn’t got a pot to pi$$ in.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    Still do it now. Not just RPD but every dept. in every town, Cary, Fuquay, Rolesville, Morrisville ect. Made a big dent in the Darwin candidate idiot contingent.  
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • They were unannounced in Raleigh, they snagged anyone turning around etc. They also had a bus on site with a magistrate.
    Unannounced....fine.  But how is it legal to stop someone who turns around (so long as they do not commit a traffic violation in doing so?)  Its just like an officer claiming they have the right to search your car if you refuse a search.....plenty of case law says refusing to surrender your rights is not RAS nor grounds for a warrant.  

The local guys told me the same thing.....if we see anybody get off at the Shell station prior to the checkpoint, we just pull them over anyway.  Not legal.

There used to be "safety checks" over in IL.....East St. Louis specifically.  They would set up checkpoints and check peoples licenses, insurance, and registration.   If you were white or have out of state plates, they'd wave you right through.  But otherwise you'd be stopped.  They issued a ton of tickets since it was a poor neighborhood and people didnt know their rights.  Never saw a single one of those in the nicer areas in the 24 yrs I lived in IL. 
    I did not agree with it. They also did random driver license checks at all hours anywhere, blocked the road and stopped every car. Whatever they found was fair game, they were after illegals, they would set up at 6am at the entrance to a immigrant heavy apartment complex. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Wow so happy to hear everyone made it out relatively ok.  I agree if you drink don't drive.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mississippi didn't require *any* vehicle insurance for a long time.  I don't know when they started, it was long after I moved to NOLA....guess this fits the narrative that not requiring everyone to have insurance with vehicles is bad, but with health insurance its a violation of our liberty.  Society pays one way or another.
  • Mississippi  has required liability insurance for many years. It is a $1200.00 fine not to have it. I would like them to take it one step further: no liability insurance means no license tag and the insurance company to notify law enforcement if the insurance lapses.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Scary for sure, glad nobody was seriously injured.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I'm happy to hear everyone survived.

I propose a new traffic law for drunks and texters - all the innocents involved get 3 free shots on scene with responding officers ASP baton.

I'm so tired of hearing about innocent lives being affected by the ignorant.  Your grandnephew next to the car is quite an image.

Phoenix 
  • blasting said:

I'm happy to hear everyone survived.

I propose a new traffic law for drunks and texters - all the innocents involved get 3 free shots on scene with responding officers ASP baton.

I'm so tired of hearing about innocent lives being affected by the ignorant.  Your grandnephew next to the car is quite an image.

Yes he is their one and only ever.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    stlcharcoal said:
    I liked what the Sheriff used to do out in the country.....the put up a sign on I-44 near a tight turn that said "DRUG CHECKPOINT 1/4 mi AHEAD.  Be prepared to STOP.  Dogs in USE"  People would panic and get off at the exit right there and then run the stop sign when they got on the outer road.  Up behind a bunch trees there was an unmarked SUV watching and recording it all, then they'd radio to the marked cars a half mile down the road to pull them over.  They nailed so many people with just 3-4 guys on that task force.
    I really like that!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    We used to gig often at a club south of Albuquirky, in the middle of a single highway (no cross streets).  Often the cops would set up roadblocks on both sides of the club, and word got back to the crowd quickly (this was before cellphones).  I hated those nights; the crowd would hang out in the parking lot and inevitably fights would start to break out, occasionally with firearms.  Couldn't wait to get loaded and out of there, we were mostly sober in the band.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.