Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else with a cookbook addiction?

Options
Seriously, I buy a cook book probably every week. My wife rolls her eyes every time an Amazon box shows up. Id love to cook most of the recipes but I hardly cook as many as I have books for!
Orlando, FL 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Not me.  I use this place as my cookbook.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Someday I’ll have to put up a shelving unit. The good recipes get copied into a book on the computer and the phone. Trying a new recipe tonight but it is on that thing inside.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    61 between us that I can count quickly on the main shelf. Probably a few lurkers knocking around as well. I consider that to be quite restrained.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I have a book addiction, including cook books. I think I've purchased five books in the last two weeks. I need more time to read them but it's tough to come by or otherwise prioritize. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    To be honest, I have a dozen or so cookbooks that were given as gifts that I was genuinely excited to read and try. But being in here gives me the best source I need to cook (not just on the Egg). I’m usually too lazy to follow a recipe exactly so I always tweak things the way I like them.

But the cookbooks do look nice in the pantry, so guests think I know what I’m doing. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    I feel ya!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Long before the Internet my wife was SO addicted! We quit counting at 400! She collected them from every region we ever vactioned. Also many of the books were the ones from women's groups which many times had some food gems buried in them! She also would buy series such as the 1979 - 1995 Southern Living annual collections. The publishers of Better Homes and Gardens loved my wife as she bought all of their series. Also people would give her cookbooks for Christmas and birthdays. Not sure they have any value per see but one that comes to mind is the best nicely bound and printed Vincent Price's "A Treasury of Great Recipes". She loaned out her first copy and it was never returned, so I surprised her with a replacement and that cost me $39 way back 45 years ago! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    My wife does at times, now she’s buying every cast iron book she can find and just bout a subscription to a cast iron magazine.     
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    Long before the Internet my wife was SO addicted! We quit counting at 400! She collected them from every region we ever vactioned. Also many of the books were the ones from women's groups which many times had some food gems buried in them! She also would buy series such as the 1979 - 1995 Southern Living annual collections. The publishers of Better Homes and Gardens loved my wife as she bought all of their series. Also people would give her cookbooks for Christmas and birthdays. Not sure they have any value per see but one that comes to mind is the best nicely bound and printed Vincent Price's "A Treasury of Great Recipes". She loaned out her first copy and it was never returned, so I surprised her with a replacement and that cost me $39 way back 45 years ago! 

I’d be interested in hearing about some of your wife’s cool.  Seriously 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Used to have that addiction. Never hurts to build up the knowledge base. Lots of great stuff has been written. In the end, if you cook more than you read, then it really gets good :) Enjoy the journey my friend. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mdames501
    Options
    I don’t really use a ton of cookbook recipes but more to learn techniques and flavors. I love ones that have a lot of story telling and pictures not just recipes. For Christmas I got my latest. “Coconuts and collards.” It’s a fantastic blend of southern cooking through a Puerto Rican point of view. It’s a good read and highly informative 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    RRP said:

I hear you. But I'd rather have you tell me what cook books you would be interested in.

I may be retired, but I'd rather have an idea of what ones you may be interested in. OK?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

I hear you. But I'd rather have you tell me what cook books you would be interested in.

I may be retired, but I'd rather have an idea of what ones you may be interested in. OK?

That should’ve said “wife’s cookbooks”.  I wasn’t trying to be disresptful.  I should’ve proofread.  Sorry.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I have an aunt who had a collection of around 3000. That is funny because she never cooked the last 20 years or so. She donated them to a university library recently and it took them two vans to haul them off.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Went on a bit of a binge a few years ago, and picked up about 6000 pages worth of books. That's slacked off, and I'm all but out of shelf space anyway.

Do have about 70K pages of recipes I've saved from the web, and 20+ historic books that have been digitized. Apicius, Fanny Farmer, Escoffier, etc.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'm very good at buying cookbooks.  It's the reading of said cookbooks where I seem to have difficulty.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    found this going through a pile of cookbooks someone gave us.  didn't make the cut.
    Options
    I've backed off a bit as I got older, and reading this thread tells me I'm not so bad off.  One of my first bucket list items when I retire is to count them, and if I get really ambitious, figure out how many recipes I haven't tried yet, and if I'll live long enough to hit them all.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm an addict! I read every one like a novel...there's often lots of narrative included to make it readable. For the last few years I've just gotten them from the library and scanned any recipes that appealed to me. The only books that I buy now are for the Instant Pot (usually at Costco).

I found this great tip for peeling garlic cloves in an old French country cooking book. Soak them in warm water for a few minutes. I cut off the stem tip and the peels come right off, no sticky fingers!
    Judy in San Diego
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I think I have two cookbooks that were given to me when I went to college in 1988. I haven't opened them in at least 10-15 years. At most, I might look online for an idea but then modify it to be more in line with my tastes. Most of the time, though, I'm really just looking for a cook time, or something pretty low level so that I know when something is done. Although at this point I know the temp for poultry (by heart) as well as what to set the probe for in a beef roast. Grilling done level is gauged by feel.
    I've written down my recipes for others to follow.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    My mom had the addiction.  She'd buy cookbooks and read them cover to cover.  She left her collection to me.  If fills a standing bookshelf. 
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • TimW
    TimW Posts: 12
    Options
    Waaay tooo many.  And I can't seem to stop.  Probably slowed down to one per month.  Also have the last 15 years of Cook's Illustrated.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    TimW said:
    Also have the last 15 years of Cook's Illustrated.
    Last 18 years, here.  I special-ordered their "Master Index" volume, a godsend but it's maybe 10 years old and I need to get an updated copy.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't buy cookbooks very often, but I've been buying them for decades, so I have a bunch, 130-some, including a bunch (18) of cocktail books.  Only 8 or 9 of them are specifically about BBQ and/or grilling.  A shelf or so (15-20, maybe?) are old (REALLY old) cookbooks of my dearly beloved grandmother.  Most of them aren't really good for much, especially these days, given how differently we eat, how different are the ingredients available to us, these days, but I enjoy pulling one out now and again and thinking of my grandmother poring over them.  She loved good food, just as I do.

AND I see that I have currently 2,319 recipes on my Paprika app, which is where I keep recipes from the internet, and also many from cookbooks that I have -- it's where I keep all recipes I actively cook, so I have them anywhere I am, like when traveling.  However, I see that only 347 of the recipes are in my Big Green Egg section.  I'm a little surprised it isn't more.  And no, I've only made a small fraction, I'm sure.  It's just so easy to hit a button and collect another recipe that I keep doing it.

Once upon a time, I had every issue of Gourmet magazine that I'd started subscribing to in the early 1970s!  It was a LOT.  And now that my beloved Gourmet was closed, it kills me that I wound up throwing most of them away.  We were moving from one state to another, and from a bigger house with a full basement to a smaller house with no basement, so a LOT of stuff had to go.  But I used to LOVE that magazine, and now I wish I'd saved them all.  Oh well.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I just ordered this one.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Here is the picture that didn’t get posted.