Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Gasket(s)

I am replacing the gasket on my Large BGE.  I am looking for the best high heat gasket. I do a lot of low-n-slow clooks (ribs, briskets and butts). 

But,  also I do a lot of searing and is why I keep burning up the gaskets.

I have head of people using the new wire mesh fiberglass Kamando Joe gaskets on the BGE's?  You guys have any opinions on that?

Theses guys seem to talk a good game on this gasket. https://bbqgaskets.com/kits-by-brand/big-green-egg/lavalockr-xtr78-for-big-green-egg-1000f-lifetime-replacement-warranty.html Anyone have any experience with this one? 

I'd appreciate comments and recommendations for the best high heat gaskets.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Rutland. Nothing better. If interested contact @RRP
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    ColtsFan said:
    Rutland. Nothing better. If interested contact @RRP
    Agree
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cmon man! @RRP
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    @dyal_sc has a contact for Rutland gaskets  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I have 3 BGE's (two Larges and one XL). I had Rutlands on a Large and an XL. Both bases cracked. I am not saying the cause was the Rutland Gastket.

I keep my eggs outside. Because I live in FL and it is a very moist climate and rains a lot, the Rutlands gasket would absorb moisture and be wet or damp a lot. I do wonder if that was the cause or partial cause of the cracked bases.

I had one egg that cracked totally replaced by the mother ship, the other just the base. Both have had factory gaskets that I have fried to a crisp but the the base of the eggs have not cracked. The 3rd egg, a large, has had the original felt and some sort of Nomax (I think, I frankly cant remember) when i replaced it. 

I am at the point of having to replace the gaskets on all of them. I am cautious of the Rutlands due to the above experiance.

The new wire mesh fiberglass Kamando Joe gaskets hold a lot of intrigue for me and i was hoping someone on here has had experience as to fit for the BGE and if they work as advertised.
  • ColtsFan
    Ceramics crack. The gasket has diddly squat to do with it. 

• I am not a gasket expert but it has nothing to do with cracked bases 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Magicman_007
    Magicman_007 Posts: 65
    edited February 2019
    I do understand the gasket did not cause the bases to crack.

But does it make me a total moron to think that because the gasket was always wet or damp, the added moisture had some contributory factor to the bases cracking? 

The one large egg that BGE replaced, the base was not cracked yet and the dome started hissing one time,  as if steam was escaping, and then a "pop." A small chunk of the outside enamel literally popped off. I think it was moisture escaping. 

After the base cracked, BGE replaced the entire egg. 

While I could be real wrong, it was another reason I thought moisture was part of the problem.  

Regardless, I am not trying to start an argument or issue w/ the Rutlands. I may end up there. 

I was hoping to find out more about other high heat gasket recommendations before I made a final decision. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If you want a gasket please only use RRP! Ron is the guy. 
    But gaskets are not mandatory.  Have 5 Eggs and only one still has gasket on it and it will not be replaced. 
    IMO the #1 thing a gasket will do is aid in the closing of the Egg. 
    Most of my Eggs are many years old and just do not see the need. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I just replaced my XL GASKET I got from @RRP
    very easy to do, my original BGE gasket only lasted 4 months. I found it was not glued evenly around the egg. 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2019
    Check with a guy on here named Wes Johnson. He has an extra one laying around somewhere. I think he loves it and I’m sure he will recommend it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Check with a guy on here named Wes Johnson. He has an extra one laying around somewhere. I think he loves it and I’m sure he will recommend it.
    OUCH!
  • I’m with @Mickey on this one.  Both my larges & mini have no gaskets.  Replaced them once then why bother?  

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

But does it make me a total moron to think that because the gasket was always wet or damp, the added moisture had some contributory factor to the bases cracking? 

The Rutland is made of fiber glass - so there is no way it absorbed water -  but I guess you can call me a moron.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    RRP said:

The Rutland is made of fiber glass - so there is no way it absorbed water -  but I guess you can call me a moron.
    You have to have 10+ years on the old forum and then the new (this) forum to call Ron a moron! Kids.........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I would def not call Ron a moron, but to say there is no way a Rutlands gasket does not absorb water is not factually accurate.

I did an experiment:

1)      Measured about 6 inches of a Rutlands gasket

2)      Ran water over it for 5 seconds

3)      Let drip dry for a few seconds

4)      Used fingers to squeeze out the water into a cup

5)      A smidge more than 3/4 oz of water was squeezed out (lets call it ¾ oz for fun). (that was the amount when I did it the first time into a measuring cup before the video using the other end of gasket)

The gasket was far from dry at this point. I could have re-squeezed and got out more water.

If 6 inches will hold about 3/4 oz (please keep in mind this was only 5 seconds of water exposure), then one may draw the conclusion that the gasket will hold about 1.5 oz per foot. If a gasket is a total of 7 feet (84 inches) then it can hold about 10.5oz of water (a little over a cup).

One could argue that a flat gasket will hold more water than a vertical gasket as gravity will not as be pulling the water to the end /bottom of the gasket.  But I think that may be past the point of if it is possible for the gasket to absorb water or not. It most assuredly can… and will.

If this was on an egg flat, I think it is fair to say it will absorb water if it were outside and being hit with rain given that rain usually lasts longer than 5 seconds. Would the entire gasket have exposure to the rain? No!

But, I can say that my gasket was saturated with water many times when I opened my egg when I was using the Rutland gasket. The charcoal and ash in the egg was damp many times. Did the gasket cause the dampness? Don’t know.

Could it be contributory to an egg cracking? Well beyond my pay grade.  

Here is a link to the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pceqr3kdp5ho6of/www.kizoa.com_20190210_155344.mp4?dl=0

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited February 2019
    bgebrent said:
    Gaskets are over rated.
    As is water!!  :):):)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • I’ve been gasket-less for over 10 years.  2 large eggs.  Come to the dark side.  They all float down here. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @Magicman_007   Please redo your experiment after the gasket has set in Permatex.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I may be a little old fashioned but I had good luck with the Gold Standard. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MNW1TE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • At the risk of beating this horse to a pulp. I wrote Rutlands and asked the following:

I have a use for the gasket in an outdoor application. I live in a very rainy climate?

I was told, because the gasket is made from fiberglass, there is no way for it to absorb water. So, my questions are:

It is possible for the the Rutland Gasket to adsorb water?

Will it not hold water?

Thanks in advance.

Here is their reply:

Yes, the Rutland Products Gasketing will absorb water and so is not recommended for use outdoors.

Regards,

Will Hall
    Account Manager

phone: 1-800-544-1307 x 301

fax: 1-802-775-5262

Facebook iconTwitter iconYoutbue iconLinkedIn iconInstagram icon

RUTLAND LOGO_JPEG

www.rutland.com

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    A little OCD??
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    I believe due to surface tension you can achieve a certain amount of clinging to the fibers rather than actual absorption. Either way I don't think that caused the eggs to crack. Where are they located in regard to your home? 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • I used to have a fiberglass boat...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    I used to have a fiberglass boat...
     Did it absorb water and sink?
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ColtsFan
    My house has fiberglass shingles

• I used to have a fiberglass boat...
     Did it absorb water and sink?
    Nope, kept water out and the beer cans in
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I think someone's cheese has slid off their cracker. It's a gasket BroTatoChip....
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • frazzdaddy
    I once snagged what I though was a log when fishing. Turned out to be an old Ugly stick someone lost.  
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.