Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - The Consumer Reports hate begins in 3, 2, 1...

Options
13»

Comments

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I'm kinda fond of how basic the BGE design is... curious how all the bells 'n whistles of the KJ will hold up over time. 
    I am sure they will have their issues, but it’s not like our bands/hinges or felt are bullet proof 

one thing I don’t like about KJ based on a friends unit is the multi piece firebox. Maybe a good idea on paper but it was apparently a PITA to assemble and the ring that holds it all together failed quickly rendering his KJ a paperweight until warranty could resolve. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I'm kinda fond of how basic the BGE design is... curious how all the bells 'n whistles of the KJ will hold up over time. 
    What "bells and whistles" do you think will prove to be fragile?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I don't know, that's why I was being intentionally vague. It may be bullet proof... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    DFW said:

I've been waiting to see a good pic of that nest - looks really good.  

I'm a little concerned about the guys working in R&D at BGE.  Someone should go check on them.  Nobody's heard from them for years.

Phoenix 
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    What exactly is the hyperbolic insert??
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • HeavyG
    Options
    What exactly is the hyperbolic insert??

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Lit said:
    The fact that cleaning a grill is even part of the ranking system says all you need to know about that report.
    I don’t think so at all. I have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old and anything that makes life easier is a plus to me. 
    Uber Eats makes life really easy.
    So does my Weber summit with push button gas assisted start and a drop down ash basket you just squeeze the handle. I haven’t had to stir the lump or shake an ash basket or reach through the bottom vent to scrape out ash and never will again. 
    But does it cook the food and deliver it to your door?  You said you wanted easier. 

I understand your point. My time with the BGE is my relaxing time, I enjoy the process, the stir and scrape takes less time than ordering a pizza on the phone, I just pour a beer and enjoy.  As always with Weber products is the rusting issues, I've never owned one that did rust out in a couple years, my BGE is going on 10, and still running strong.  It does have a hairline crack in the base, but I already have a replacement ready to go.

• HeavyG
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    Lit said:
    lwrehm said:
    Lit said:
    The fact that cleaning a grill is even part of the ranking system says all you need to know about that report.
    I don’t think so at all. I have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old and anything that makes life easier is a plus to me. 
    Uber Eats makes life really easy.
    So does my Weber summit with push button gas assisted start and a drop down ash basket you just squeeze the handle. I haven’t had to stir the lump or shake an ash basket or reach through the bottom vent to scrape out ash and never will again. 
    But does it cook the food and deliver it to your door?  You said you wanted easier. 

I understand your point. My time with the BGE is my relaxing time, I enjoy the process, the stir and scrape takes less time than ordering a pizza on the phone, I just pour a beer and enjoy.  As always with Weber products is the rusting issues, I've never owned one that did rust out in a couple years, my BGE is going on 10, and still running strong.  It does have a hairline crack in the base, but I already have a replacement ready to go.

My 10+ year old Weber Smokey Mountain has almost zero rust - just a tiny bit of rust along the edge of one of the segments. My 10+ year old Weber Kettle only has a couple spots of rust on the dome where it chipped when it dropped on my exposed aggregate patio. I always meant to clean those up and repaint them to keep the rust from spreading but that was at least 5 years ago and I never bothered to do that. The rust hasn't spread and I think it gives the grill "character" so I'll just leave them be.
    I had a Weber Genesis 2000 gasser for 20+ years that the main parts were fine the whole time I had it.
    I'm sure some folks may treat them as more or less disposable but with reasonable care and attention there's no reason a Weber shouldn't last a couple decades easily.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I think it's time for Weber to release a limited edition fully Stainless kettle. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I think it's time for Weber to release a limited edition fully Stainless kettle. 
    That would actually be pretty awesome.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    I would pay whatever Weber asked. That would be cool. 
  • blasting
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Me too, but careful about uttering those words out loud.  I think someone said that about the Summit, and Weber went ahead and priced it at $2299

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options

@SonVolt @HeavyG @cookingdude555

Was just on the phone with Weber - incredible customer service as usual.

Anyway - since I had him on the phone, I asked the guy if he had ever heard any talk of a SS kettle.  Sadly, he said he had never heard talk of this.

Phoenix 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    blasting said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Me too, but careful about uttering those words out loud.  I think someone said that about the Summit, and Weber went ahead and priced it at $2299

I think it’s $1999. I would pay it if I had room. I’m kind of locked in the egg eco system so that’s fine for now. One day tho maybe. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    blasting said:

Anyway - since I had him on the phone, I asked the guy if he had ever heard any talk of a SS kettle.  Sadly, he said he had never heard talk of this.

Would be cool if that were a possibility!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    blasting said:

He has now...   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    Something I do to all my Weber's is replace the stock hardware with stainless. Definitely adds to longevity and peace of mind.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain