Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do BBQ joints...

Options
...make their turkey so stinking good?!? I live in Texas and we have a bbq place on every street corner it seems. And I can say with almost absolute certainty that the smoked turkey at all of these places is always so good. Moist. Flavorful. Tender. I have tried replicating it time and time again on the egg to no avail. Anyone have any insider tips to help me achieve this glorious feat?

Comments

• TexasisBestest
    TexasisBestest Posts: 122
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1. Spatchcock it. Will help it cook more evenly
    2. Use an internal probe and PULL IT at 160-165 internal but trust the probe. Don't overcook.
    3. Don't try to oversmoke it. A little smoke goes a long way.
    4. Smoke at 275/finish at 300 to crisp skin. Smoking at too low a temp gives you chewy skin.
    My egg genius shows 2.5ish hours at 275 did the trick for a decent sized turkey.

My second turkey came out juicy but flavorful. I used a bit of meat church Holy Cow because well, Texas puts black pepper on everything. And I didn't brine or marinade, the egg is GREAT at moisture retention.

Good luck!

Dallas Texas.
    2 x XLBGE 1 x LBGE.
    Tech:  EggGenius and Thermoworks Smoke w Gateway
    Lump: Rockwood/Fogo
    Wood: Cherry, Apple, PostOak, Pecan
    Meat: Costco, Deep Cuts
    Rubs: Meat Church, HardcoreCarnivore, John Henry's
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    The trick to good turkey is butter.  Yes that’s right good old fashioned butter.  I use almost 1lb of butter under the skin and injected into the breast of the turkey.  The other thing I’ve found with poultry in general is you need to cook it hot enough.   What I mean is my chicken and turkey are much better when I’m cooking at 325 vs 225.    The truth is for whole birds I like 350-375.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    This ^^^^ my bil cooked one on his keg for Christmas dinner, 375 and stuffed tons of butter under the skin and it was juicy, Smokey, awesome 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Okay. I’ll give it a try. Thanks. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    secret tip:  don't over cook.  don't carve hot
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Brine it before smoking, will insure a moist delicious bird also take off at 155 and wrap in foil for 30 minutes carry over cooking will bring to 165

LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have tried the Aaron Franklin turkey breast posted here.  Remove skin, smoke, finish iwrapped in foifoikl and butter. It was pretty darn good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    From Cook's
    DIFFERENT PULL AND DONENESS TEMPERATURES
    * White Meat Pull the white meat at 157°F (69°C), so it will come to a final resting temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
    * Dark Meat The higher temperature range of 175-180°F (79-82°C) allows the connective tissues to dissolve, and turn the tough meat into tender and silky meat. The legs and thighs are smaller than the breasts, and will not experience as much carryover cooking (food retains heat and continues to cook even after being removed from the source of heat). Temperatures 5-10°F (2-5°C) above 175°F (79°C) will not harm the dark meat.

Rest both 10 mins.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    rholt said:
    I have tried replicating it time and time again on the egg to no avail. 

Well there's your problem. They aren't using eggs. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • volminimax
    Options
    I did what I call my first "successful" Turkey on Sunday. Breast only. I cut out the back bone. Seasoned with Meat Church Gospel. I used 8 tbs of butter. 4 tablespoons under the skin, the rest injected into the breast. I also used the Joetisserie. Came out really well.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I saw one of those "Texas Tims" cookers at the local Quick Shop.  He was firing it up with 5 bags of charcoal briquettes, and had some hickory splits on the trailer.  And a bunch of chickens and turkeys still wrapped in bags.  Don't think he was planning to do anything special (no rubs or spices), but they were going to get a LOT of smoke with that setup.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    First was turkey leg stock roasted for the the gravy. Worth the the effort to puddle in Mrs. 500’s mashed taters. Then I ordered 12# organic from Whole Foods. Dry brined with kosher salt, lemon zest, and crushed rosemary, sage, thyme, and day leaves. Dry brined for 18 hours. Indirect at 350* with a handful of cherry and pecan. Smoke roasted for 2 hours 40 minutes. Rested for 20 minutes. Done this way there was very little drippings in the pan. First time dry brining. Will do again. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @500 that’s a very nice looking bird. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited February 2019
    Options
    We teach a poultry class and make this as one of the items on the menu. TX bbq joints use boneless, skinless turkey breast. They brine it (either liquid brine or just a few hours in salt). Rinse, add black pepper (there will be plenty of salt from the brine) and smoke it over post oak. The ones down here dredge it in warmed butter before service. You can use any rub you like but it's just salt (in the form of brine) and pepper down here. Careful using a salty rub after a brine.

Just remember: Brine, pepper, smoke, butter and you'll be pretty close
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have tried the Aaron Franklin turkey breast posted here.  Remove skin, smoke, finish iwrapped in foifoikl and butter. It was pretty darn good. 
    This! I did it the same way, and when I cut into it, it was so moist you could hear the squishing. Just followed the instructions in the book exactly. Copied from the book:  https://houseandhome.com/recipe/bbq-turkey-breast-recipe/
    One thing I would change would be to use an aluminum pan instead of just foil. I still have a scar where the hot melted butter spilled onto my hand, through by glove. Or at least get some better gloves... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice peeps. I’ll post if I ever strike turkey success!!!
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    We teach a poultry class and make this as one of the items on the menu. TX bbq joints use boneless, skinless turkey breast. They brine it (either liquid brine or just a few hours in salt). Rinse, add black pepper (there will be plenty of salt from the brine) and smoke it over post oak. The ones down here dredge it in warmed butter before service. You can use any rub you like but it's just salt (in the form of brine) and pepper down here. Careful using a salty rub after a brine.

Just remember: Brine, pepper, smoke, butter and you'll be pretty close
    This - plus a foil wrap till service.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @500 that’s a very nice looking bird. 
    Thanks.  That was the Thanksgiving bird.  Getting the salt and seasonings up under the skin made it, I think.  It was moist and tasted like turkey.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Over the years I've been TDY many, many times to TX, and schooled in Wichita Falls for many months, and have hit as many BBQ joints as possible, but I've never ordered any turkey (I'm a brisket guy).  

I have sinned, apparently.  Road Trip!!!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Over the years I've been TDY many, many times to TX, and schooled in Wichita Falls for many months, and have hit as many BBQ joints as possible, but I've never ordered any turkey (I'm a brisket guy).  

Honestly, turkey, sausage, and ribs are usually the best thing at most bbq joints down here. There are still less than 10 that do great brisket every day. Maybe less than 5. I avoid brisket at any place I don’t know. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Botch said:

Honestly, turkey, sausage, and ribs are usually the best thing at most bbq joints down here. There are still less than 10 that do great brisket every day. Maybe less than 5. I avoid brisket at any place I don’t know. 
    I haven't been to TX since getting my Egg (prolly longer), I do remember the sausages were quite good too (Germans!)  Never had any memorable ribs that I can think of.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Botch said:

Who are your 5. I've had Snows but haven't been to Texas in a while.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Botch said:

Who are your 5. I've had Snows but haven't been to Texas in a while.
    Still never had snows. On the list but they are 2 hours from me and serve from 8am until 1 or 2 Saturday only. 
    As as far as who I think are the dependable ones for brisket (these are all in Austin- I know there are some good ones in other parts of the state but I don’t venture out much for bbq):
    franklin 
    mickelthwait
    valentina’s 
    terry blacks
    honerable mentions (better than most but not great every time) : Stiles Switch, LA Barbecue
    the best bbq experience in TX is still Salt Lick in Driftwood. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies, sorry if my answer is redundant.    

But Franklin's recipe uses a sh!t ton of butter
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA