Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket direct from the freezer to the Egg...

Options
The_Stache
The_Stache Posts: 1,153
edited January 2019 in Beef
Inspired by @GoldenQ and being generally lazy and not really wanting to plan ahead, I decided to attempt cooking a brisket.  Of course, the brisket was in the freezer!  Anyway...

The plan, set up the egg for 250 at the grate loaded with Rockwood, Oak chunks and a few chunks of Mesquite.  Brisket salted only (spousal unit's inability to handle spicy spices including pepper).  Hammered in the meat temp probe and onto the grill indirect.

I'll continue to cook this way for about 1.5 hours and then raise grate temp to 310 and hold until internal temp reaches ~160. 

Lastly will finish foiled and adding a little home made chicken broth in the oven @325-350 until internal temp reaches 203-206 (probing like butter).

Final resting will be in the oven while over it cools off.

Looking for repeatability....  I'll keep you posted!

Kirkland, TN
2 LBGE, 1 MM

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    “Hammered in the meat temp probe”. LOL. Taking out some aggression today Rick?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    “Hammered in the meat temp probe”. LOL. Taking out some aggression today Rick?
    Lol ditto... made me giggle at the mental picture 
  • The_Stache
    Options
    The result was 

...  perfect for chili!  Flavor was great but meat was tough!

Don’t do this!!!! 

Lesson learned... defrost and do proper prep!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What was the grade of meat?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am confused here (not an unusual state).  "Meat was tough" but your scenario plan was to pull when it probed tender???   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    What was the grade of meat?
    choice
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am confused here (not an unusual state).  "Meat was tough" but your scenario plan was to pull when it probed tender???   
    @lousubcap ... I thought I was the only one confused as a normal state!!!

Nope, no plan to pull...  Planned to slice and eat.  Other briskets I've done all probed very tender. 

Looking for Texas quality cook....

I still think the issue was starting with frozen brisket...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @The_Stache my confusion continues as I used the term "pull" to reflect the end-game condition as noted in the below from your initial post:  
    "Lastly will finish foiled and adding a little home made chicken broth in the oven @325-350until internal temp reaches 203-206 (probing like butter)."
    So I gather that it didn't probe tender??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    @lousubcap .... Precisely!!  Didn't probe tender.  I probed from 190-207....
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. At least you can make chili now

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    At least you have Chili.  Thanks for posting - we now know not to smoke frozen brisket.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    If I had to guess, I’d say that your brisket’s state when hitting the grill likely wasn’t the factor contributing to its lack of end tenderness. I’ve cooked many items from frozen - though I haven’t done this with brisket - and I’ve never discerned any difference as opposed to thawing before cooking. In the end, isn’t cooking from frozen just a faster way to have it come up (and then rise through) room temp?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^^what he said.

some of my best cooks were from frozen.  It has to thaw sometime and the inside of the meat doesn't know what's going on outside.  If you cook low and slow it shouldn't make a difference.   Turbo, that's a different story.
    Options
    Carey, I think that is exactly the issue!  I may try this again but keep the cook as a low and slow the entire way!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM