Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I’ve joined the ranks of the overpriced coolers

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Wife found a “deal” while ordering a few more food containers today.  She purchased a 110 RTIC for me in olive green. It was $200. Have to admit I’m excited 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Score!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Nice score. Better find a place you like it and bolt it down! Those dudes get stupid heavy. 

I got a cart for my 75 for Christmas. I may actually use it more than twice a year now :rofl:

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ryantt
    Now ow I have to hope it fits in my VW golf.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    It don’t hurt for too long. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I got the 20.  For what I paid for it, what it holds and how freaking heavy it is, I’d expect it to be bomb proof and keep ice for days in the direct hot sun. It was.  I used it on the back of my kayak on a 30 mile river trip last August.  It was 95 degrees and we had zero shade for eight hours.  There was some melting, but we opened it multiple times throughout the day.  However, that last beer I pulled out after we got back was as cold as can be. 

You’ll need a much bigger boat for the 110.  But, you won’t regret that purchase!  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• ryantt
    SaltySam said:
    I got the 20.  For what I paid for it, what it holds and how freaking heavy it is, I’d expect it to be bomb proof and keep ice for days in the direct hot sun. It was.  I used it on the back of my kayak on a 30 mile river trip last August.  It was 95 degrees and we had zero shade for eight hours.  There was some melting, but we opened it multiple times throughout the day.  However, that last beer I pulled out after we got back was as cold as can be. 

You’ll need a much bigger boat for the 110.  But, you won’t regret that purchase!  
    The 110 is going to be used for bbq comps, and also to transport BBQ for Norah to sell this summer on Friday nights.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I have been looking for one of the limited release Yeti Tundra 35. I was dealing with a few family issues when it came out....now can’t find on on any of the resale outlets. Bottom line.....get what you want when they are available. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    It just occurred to me that, for the price of a phancy kooler, you can buy A LOT of cases of European brew (which doesn't need to be ice-cold).  Just a thought.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,126
    Botch said:
    It just occurred to me that, for the price of a phancy kooler, you can buy A LOT of cases of European brew (which doesn't need to be ice-cold).  Just a thought.  
    Says the man who buys $12k camera glass...  ;)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have the 20, 45 and 65.  The 45 and 65 are heavy as phuck when loaded up.  Make sure you have some strong help with you during transporting.  I'd definitely look into a cart setup for transport.  It'll hold ice for as long as you'll need, but don't underestimate the weight of it at all.  You'll notice how heavy it is empty!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I want a 20.   Want it NOT need it. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2019
    Tell Norah to hit the gym. Fully-loaded coolers are hernia heaven for anyone, let alone someone with an erector-set lumbar spine (herniated disk heaven?). I have a Pelican 45 and it’s a beast unloaded, let alone carrying ice and imbibables/food.
  • ryantt
    thetrim said:
    They were $85 last night 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    dont think ive taken my 45 out of the truck more than a couple times, use it every week but either unload it from the truck into the fridge or take out what i need and put it in the 20.  the 20 is a great second cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Great coolers but I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew with the 110.
    Jacksonville FL
  • ryantt
    @Dobie I would have probably chosen the 65 but I didn’t know about it until after the fact.  I’m never going to tell her that, it was a nice gift 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I bought the special 4 wheel drive hauler for mine =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    ryantt said:
    Wife found a “deal” while ordering a few more food containers today.  She purchased a 110 RTIC for me in olive green. It was $200. Have to admit I’m excited 
    Mind letting us know where your wife found that deal?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ryantt
    @CTMike she was on face book and an add popped up for clearance on RTIC,  so she went to their site and ordered it. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    ryantt said:
    @Dobie I would have probably chosen the 65 but I didn’t know about it until after the fact.  I’m never going to tell her that, it was a nice gift 
    The 110 will come in handy for long weekend trips. I'm usually looking for more room with my 65 in those scenarios. 

Look into the divider for the cooler. That way you can use only half of the cooler for smaller loads. The wire basket is almost a must with the cooler. They are super handy keeping things from getting wet but stay cold throughout 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    ryantt said:
    @CTMike she was on face book and an add popped up for clearance on RTIC,  so she went to their site and ordered it. 
    Thanks, I went to the clearance page and all sold out. Oh well 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ryantt
    @WeberWho thanks for the info, I’ll get those ordered shortly.  

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Good timing for this post, just got a yeti hopper flip 18 gifted to me - needless to say I’m quite excited. 

Congrats on the addition to your / Norah’s arsenal! :). Hope you’ve been feeling better!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • My only complaint is they are crazy heavy. I built this rolling cart for mine, and it sees use on weekend cookouts.  Rolls from shop to patio easily, and holds ice & beer for up to 4 days.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    We have an RTIC 65, for Costco purchases. Kind big for the back of an Outback but works well in the back of my pickup. Chained down, of course. Unfortunately I need to gas up every three days and Costco is close to being on the way home....
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • ryantt
    edited January 2019
    It’s here!!!! So excited to get it out and take a peek. Just need the boss to get home to get it out for me.  She brought in in the house before running off to the store.. 

• thetrim said:
    Love, love, love my Yeti Roadie 20. You NEED a 20! Perfect size for a short road trip or a day at the beach. 
  • My only complaint is they are crazy heavy. I built this rolling cart for mine, and it sees use on weekend cookouts.  Rolls from shop to patio easily, and holds ice & beer for up to 4 days.
    Love that colour. My 45 is the blue, which I also love. 

Now I need to get me a pink one!