Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best firestarter?

Comments

• RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Paper towel and oil, never fails
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • If you pan fry bacon and drain on a paper towel, those will work.  I keep some
    next to my BGE in case the dome freezes and then light & stuff in the bottom vent.  HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • I prefer the simplicity of the rolled up (and twisted) paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. Light the dry end and your good to go. Works like a the starter cubes. If you want hotter sooner get one of the gadgets, which I'm sure I'd enjoy using and no doubt works well, but it's just one more piece of specialized equipment to clutter things up.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    FYI - you can still get MAPP if you look.   :):) found this canister in the back of my shed this summer.  Obviously it’s old as hell, so I’m a bit  unsure if I should use it.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Looks fine from way the hell over here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    edited January 2019
    RiverBBQ said:
    Paper towel and oil, never fails
    They do fail in cold weather, and I've tried @StillH2OEgger's suggestion and the towel roll burned up fine, but didn't light the lump (I posted about this in a thread called "I'm through with paper towels" or something like that).  I've gone back to the paraffin squares, at least until next spring.
    I've wanted to try the alcohol method, but haven't been able to find anything stronger than 70%, which (iirc) doesn't work.  

And @marysvilleegger, I throw out bacon-grease-soaked paper towels every damn morning!  Will give that a try next Spring.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Rutland firestarters.  Buy a big box at Ace and I'm good for several months.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Don't forget the trusty chimney starter, I use it for most cooks unless I'm doing a low n slow, then I use 3 starter cubes in a triangular pattern. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited January 2019
    Benzomatic TS8000 with propane bottle to ignite each spot in about 10-15 sec, then stoke the fire with an old hairdryer.
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Normally I use a handheld torch.   Yesterday the igniter button was frozen and I went old school with the Rutland squares.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I just push and turn the ignite button
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Wagner Heat Gun

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Buy a Blackstone.  Use Blackstone, and save oiled paper towels in coffee can.

If I want a hot fire I'll use a torch or chimney.  For some reason I've been using the chimney more lately, even though I've got two torches 8 feet away.

Phoenix 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Rutland firestarters.  On weekdays when I'm in a hurry I just light 4 of them.  They're cheap and dependable.

@Botch, with regard to the cold weather comments, I did find once when I was camping in 22F that the between the cold temp and my shivering hands, I couldn't light the Rutland.  But I also had a paper towel soaked in bacon grease handy and that lit right up.  Because I was so cold, I added a couple of Rutland squares to the process to accelerate things.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    How do the Rutland fire starters compare to the BGE branded ones? Same shiz but cheaper? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SonVolt said:
    How do the Rutland fire starters compare to the BGE branded ones? Same shiz but cheaper? 
    yes

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I just got my egg over the summer so I've been "that guy" that's buying all the over-priced OEM stuff. Time to start shopping at Ace... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Yes! Talk about a blast from the past. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Paper towel bacon was drained on.  It's free, works, and is recycling :)
    I cook bacon pretty often, so I keep a ziplock of these in the fridge to keep them from going nasty.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    oil and napkin

or soak wood chips in water over night, place in lump, add a golfball sized piece of sodium, step back and wait.  this should answer the next question, to soak the chips or not
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    oil and napkin

or soak wood chips in water over night, place in lump, add a golfball sized piece of sodium, step back and wait.  this should answer the next question, to soak the chips or not
    2Na + 2H2O => 2NaOH + H2

The sodium hydroxide is corrosive to the glaze (egg is porous).  So not the best way.

I have some stories about sodium "experiments" from years ago.  Suffice it to say, it can get away from you quick.
  • May be heresy, but I use these Strike-a-Fire things.  Break into 3 pieces, strike the match tip piece and use it to light the other 2 pieces, then spread them appropriately.  If going low and slow I break in half and leave both in the middle.  They seem to always be in the grocery store so it's easy for me to grab and keep in stock.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    oil and napkin

2Na + 2H2O => 2NaOH + H2

The sodium hydroxide is corrosive to the glaze (egg is porous).  So not the best way.

I have some stories about sodium "experiments" from years ago.  Suffice it to say, it can get away from you quick.
    i have some stuff that i dont know what it is but a tbls of metal filings will turn a 5 gallon bucket of water into steam in a flash second. knocked me across the shop and 30 foot up the ceiling was on fire.  lit my big vertical saw on fire as well. then the customer says i needed some other type of extinguisher.  what a flash back.  could be zirconium, it settles to the bottom under water but just a tiny amount floats on the top, hit it with a match if you got the balls

tantalum is another good one, i built an accumulator to replace an older unit, delivered it and the building exploded that weekend. walked on pins and needles for a week before finding my accumulator was still in the wharehouse. wasnt good, a highly trained chemical firefighter group was flown  in and for some reason thought the fire hose would put it out, some did not make it

nothing in the warranty against sodium in an egg =) 

fukahwee maine

• Drew Barrymore

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    oil and napkin

2Na + 2H2O => 2NaOH + H2

i have some stuff that i dont know what it is but a tbls of metal filings will turn a 5 gallon bucket of water into steam in a flash second. knocked me across the shop and 30 foot up the ceiling was on fire.  lit my big vertical saw on fire as well. then the customer says i needed some other type of extinguisher.  what a flash back.  could be zirconium, it settles to the bottom under water but just a tiny amount floats on the top, hit it with a match if you got the balls

tantalum is another good one, i built an accumulator to replace an older unit, delivered it and the building exploded that weekend. walked on pins and needles for a week before finding my accumulator was still in the wharehouse. wasnt good, a highly trained chemical firefighter group was flown  in and for some reason thought the fire hose would put it out, some did not make it

All the alkali metals are highly reactive with water and oxygen.  You store them in mineral oil or diesel.  My advice is to avoid.  They hit water, explode and scatter everywhere.  You could have a chunk on the floor that sets a mop on fire a month later.
    oil and napkin

2Na + 2H2O => 2NaOH + H2

All the alkali metals are highly reactive with water and oxygen.  You store them in mineral oil or diesel.  My advice is to avoid.  They hit water, explode and scatter everywhere.  You could have a chunk on the floor that sets a mop on fire a month later.
    so you're saying, dont take a smoke break in a room full of tantalum powder while drinking a coke ;) pretty sure thats how that fire originally started. i will add to that, dont give a hs kid zirconium =)  pretty safe til its turned into filings.  sodium story....substitute teacher asks class what we were doing the day before, tell him we were about to watch sodium catch on fire in just water.  he goes and gets the sodium out of the back room, fills sink, tosses in a giant chunk of sodium, it lights up and starts violently dancing in sink, boom, its thru the ceiling banging off everything......DONT SAY A WORD says the sub =)

it does get everywhere, that saw caught fire more than once after we were done cutting the plate.
    fukahwee maine

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    I make a hole in my lump towards the rear about the size of a grapefruit.  I use a chimney starter with a two pieces of newspaper and let that get red hot before dumping the lump from the chimney starter into the hole that I created.  If it is going to be a long cook I then dump lump over the hot stuff and let it come to temp and burn off that nastiness.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    “People” used to toss magnesium into the firepits on the beach in Newport Beach and walk away when I was in school.  Fun to watch the beach patrol try to put that out as it lights up the whole beach.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    fishlessman said:

Fish, I wanna party with you!  :triumph:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure