Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best firestarter?

Options
13»

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    When we machined magnesium at the shop we used to always collect the chips.  They are a lot of fun.

Our favorite thing was to fill a tuna can full, light it, then hit it with a hockey stick like a puck.  It looked like a shooting star on the ground.  When people were not expecting it, they sure got excited.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    I guess it makes sense to find a bunch of pyromaniacs on a BBQ forum...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I use Rutland firestarter cubes. Break one in half and light the coals in 2 spots. Let it go for a couple of minutes and then turn on the Stoker blower. The coals are ready to go pretty soon. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    People keep starting threads asking this same question.  I still say you can't beat a paper towel soaked with bacon fat (i.e. the paper towel you drained your bacon on).  It's totally free and works great.  That's what I've been doing for years.  Load up the fire box, dig a hole in the center, ideally all the way down to the fire grate.  Place folded up grease towel.  Arrange a couple longer pieces of lump over it, but not smothering it.  Light.  In 5-15min, you've got a nice fire.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    If the BGE is near an electric outlet — Looftlighter
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    edited January 2019
    Options
    If I counted right there  has only been 2 who say they use 91% rubbing alcohol. I use one Rultand or SureStart square and then before lighting it I squirt the alcohol around how large I want the resulting bed of coals to be. Alcohol is cheap and leaves no odor. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Small piece of C-4 and a match . Heated my C-rats real good .
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Looflighter as well