Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT — bah!! Any recs for a squirrel PROOF bird feeder? —OT

Greetings friends,

Im tired of picking our unscrewed squirrel proof feeder up off the ground and losing piles of seed. We have three feeders. All three have been defeated. 

A neighbor has one that they say works pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?k=brome+squirrel+buster+plus+squirrel+proof+bird+feeder&sprefix=brome+sq&crid=1MN013Y6TI8O2

The Brome line seems to confound her squirrel robbing pretty well. 

Im minutes away from commissioning @nolaegghead to make me one out of pecky cypress... but thought I’d ask here before getting too deep into that man cave.. :)

many help greatly appreciated

8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668

my brittany gaurds the feeder, down to just one grey and one red

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

I feed birds black oil sunflower seeds year around and used to fight both squirrels and coons. I finally found the perfect set up that works well. This feeder claims to be squirrel proof but it wasn't until I added the second cone on top. The squirrels would climb up the tree - go across the metal brace and as they try to get around the cone they would slide off and oftentimes could grab ahold of the basin when falling. BUT with the second cone on top they never have been able to!

Then the coons learned to hang on the brace and lift the chain and dropping it which would cause a lot of sunflower seed to fall out. Then they would go down and eat the spillage off the ground. So to stop that I anchored the bottom to a brick on the ground which they could not lift.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Put it on a pole with a slinky underneath over the pole. When the squirrel gets to the slinky it slides right back down to the ground. 

All the squirrels at my house are named Mr. Pizza. Actually, all squirrels my son sees are Mr. Pizza

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Been using this for over 10 years, works great. Keeps the raccoons out also
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodlink-Absolute-Squirrel-Resistant-7533/dp/B001G17E7Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1MN013Y6TI8O2&keywords=brome+squirrel+buster+plus+squirrel+proof+bird+feeder&qid=1548098294&sprefix=brome+sq&sr=8-15

Also have a tube feeder covered with heavy wire that works well, but the raccoons knock it to the ground now and then.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've got a Brome and a Droll Yankee tube feeder with the metal cage. They both work well at keeping the squirrels at bay.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Second the slinky
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    We use a pole from Wild Birds Unlimitted with a raccoon baffle on it.  It’s not close to any overhanging tree.  The squirrels are all over the yard, in the trees, and on the ground under the feeders but we have never had one in a feeder.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • It’s worth looking at squirrel catapult videos on YouTube 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Easy. Locate it on a pole with a squirrel baffle or hang it with a squirrel baffle above, and in each case locate it where the varmints can’t jump from an adjacent branch or fence. I’ve been feeding my birdie buddies for 30+ years and the only seed the squirrels get is the stuff I put on the ground for them. Hey, they gotta eat too. It keeps the hawk population robust as well. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • I took an old patio umbrella, removed the canvas and cut the fingers down. Drilled some holes, installed hooks and now I've got a pole bird feeder that can accommodate up to 8 feeders at once. I used a rebar to provide extra stability when putting it in the ground - which allows me to move it when the seed mess gets to be too much. Also use the baffle on the pole and haven't had a single problem - except the fat pigeons making a huge mess. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Brome squirrel buster gets my vote. We have 2, one for seeds and one for meal worms. We had the Yankee Flipper which is very entertaining, but once the battery dies, it's a feeding frenzy for all...

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    This is not a reliable solution.  
    I bet you he will will wear out a hot biscuit!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Teefus said:
    Easy. Locate it on a pole with a squirrel baffle or hang it with a squirrel baffle above, and in each case locate it where the varmints can’t jump from an adjacent branch or fence. I’ve been feeding my birdie buddies for 30+ years and the only seed the squirrels get is the stuff I put on the ground for them. Hey, they gotta eat too. It keeps the hawk population robust as well. 
    Do this.  
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    You can make a baffle to hang over the feeder pretty easily with chimney flashing and a rivet gun. I’ll send a pic tomorrow. It’s dark and cold and I’m tuckered.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    I have a Brome “Squirrel Buster Classic” hanging from a tree branch. Squirrels have not been able to figure it out.

...but a chipmunk wasn’t heavy enough to trip the squirrel-proofing mechanism and this guy had a lazy pig out. I didn’t mind. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just feed the damn squirrels,  you squirrel haters.
    Some of these are really cracking me up...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

It’s ok to feed the squirrels, bring em in a little closer.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I have a friend who has bird feeders outside his house, as do I, and he got a catapult. Said it only discouraged them.

I had a squirrel a couple years ago that was truly amazing. Could jump 5 ' straight up. 8' from the fence to the pole where I had the feeder. Was a tightrope walker. Could jump over plates along a rope to get to a feeder in the middle of a 20' line. Learned to let go, and as it was falling, grab the feeder just long enough to pull it sideways, and spill seed.

Finally stopped it by putting nails on the end of the pole it had to jump to from the fence. Then put metal stove pipe flashing on the pole that was too big around  to grab, and impossible to claw up.

Took it about a week to learn it couldn't get to the feeder. Ended up having up to 80 birds a day. And then the hawk came... At least the sparrows never knew what hit them.
  • fishlessman
    gdenby said:
    I have a friend who has bird feeders outside his house, as do I, and he got a catapult. Said it only discouraged them.

I had a squirrel a couple years ago that was truly amazing. Could jump 5 ' straight up. 8' from the fence to the pole where I had the feeder. Was a tightrope walker. Could jump over plates along a rope to get to a feeder in the middle of a 20' line. Learned to let go, and as it was falling, grab the feeder just long enough to pull it sideways, and spill seed.

Finally stopped it by putting nails on the end of the pole it had to jump to from the fence. Then put metal stove pipe flashing on the pole that was too big around  to grab, and impossible to claw up.

Took it about a week to learn it couldn't get to the feeder. Ended up having up to 80 birds a day. And then the hawk came... At least the sparrows never knew what hit them.
    we had a coopers hawk that took care of the feeder, was a bloody mess out there one year. has not been back since.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    squirrels dont touch the thistle feeder.  now how do you stop a black bear other than to stop feeding come spring, they just destroy the feeder
    fukahwee maine

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Woodchunk said:
    Been using this for over 10 years, works great. Keeps the raccoons out also
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodlink-Absolute-Squirrel-Resistant-7533/dp/B001G17E7Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1MN013Y6TI8O2&keywords=brome+squirrel+buster+plus+squirrel+proof+bird+feeder&qid=1548098294&sprefix=brome+sq&sr=8-15

Also have a tube feeder covered with heavy wire that works well, but the raccoons knock it to the ground now and then.
    Have had the same feeder (as above) for >10 years and no squirrels... now hawks... that's a different story!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    This is not a reliable solution.  
    If you can disguise your squirrels to look like cats... this may indeed be a solution!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    squirrels dont touch the thistle feeder.  now how do you stop a black bear other than to stop feeding come spring, they just destroy the feeder
    Electric, if given in enough quantity, can stop all living things Fish.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    Sea2Ski said:
    Electric, if given in enough quantity, can stop all living things Fish.
    seems extreme for a couple bears

Image result for electric fence kill birds

fukahwee maine

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Regarding feeder height...any bird feeder 4 foot and under is called a cat feeder! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    You need a bigger catapult.  Look up "Monte Python Cow Catapult".

"Run Away!"   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure