Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Bread using dough from a bread machine

Options
Has anyone had success with making French bread using dough from a bread machine?  I have read it's hard not to burn the bottom even with a diffuser and pizza stone.  I suspect there are tips and tricks so would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Do you mean baguettes?  I have been practicing a lot lately and getting reasonable results 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I would would look up "no knead bread" method which uses a dutch oven...  it translates really well to the egg and you get some smoke when the lid if removed. I leave baguettes to the professionals. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Do you have an air gap between the platesetter and pizza stone? If not, the stone will get too hot for bread, pizza, etc. Many guys raise the baking stone 3-4" above the platesetter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoffrock
    Options
    I have the conveggtor under the metal grill and was planning on setting the pizza stone on the grill so assume this works as a spacer.

That is a good looking baguette!!

I'll try the "no knead dough" as I also saw something about this in another recipe post (non-Egghead).

Thanks for the advice.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hoffrock said:
    Has anyone had success with making French bread using dough from a bread machine?  I have read it's hard not to burn the bottom even with a diffuser and pizza stone.  I suspect there are tips and tricks so would appreciate any advice.
    You may have read this, but it not the norm.  Only tip is to make sure the stone is air gapped from the diffuser.  Placement higher than the felt line is usually a good idea.  No knead bread is good, but there is no reason not to use any bread dough in the egg.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I just made this for my neighbor. 20% whole wheat with oats, caraway, fennel and sunflower seeds

the more I make bread I’m finding subtle little things make quite a difference

That's a splendid looking loaf sir. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Just made these,  I’m starting to get better results

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    As a baker by trade, I’ll tell you this. True French Bread has zero fat (butter/shortening) and zero sugar in it. That’s how it gets the great exterior crust with a fluffy interior. Baking bread on a stone via your egg can be tough due to uneven heat on the surface. Think of it a lot like doing a pizza. Some doughs scorch, others do not. Best bet is to preheat the stone to temp. Let it sit in there as long as you can before adding your loaves. Close the dome ASAP so you don’t lose your heat. Good luck! 

I bake NOLA style French Bread, crispy crust, very light and fluffy interior. We bake in gas fired convection carousels. I’ve taken dough home and baked on the egg. Turns out great, gotta watch the scorching though, my doughs have fat and sugar in them
  • GlennM
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    As a baker by trade, I’ll tell you this. True French Bread has zero fat (butter/shortening) and zero sugar in it. That’s how it gets the great exterior crust with a fluffy interior. Baking bread on a stone via your egg can be tough due to uneven heat on the surface. Think of it a lot like doing a pizza. Some doughs scorch, others do not. Best bet is to preheat the stone to temp. Let it sit in there as long as you can before adding your loaves. Close the dome ASAP so you don’t lose your heat. Good luck! 

I bake NOLA style French Bread, crispy crust, very light and fluffy interior. We bake in gas fired convection carousels. I’ve taken dough home and baked on the egg. Turns out great, gotta watch the scorching though, my doughs have fat and sugar in them
    These are just flour, water, salt and yeast. No sugar or oil. I find the way you handle the dough and the timing makes a big difference   Lots to learn yet!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    GlennM said:
    ColbyLang said:

These are just flour, water, salt and yeast. No sugar or oil. I find the way you handle the dough and the timing makes a big difference   Lots to learn yet!
    Baking is a science. What worked today, may not work tomorrow based on minor variations to your water temp, oven temp, etc. humidity has a huge factor in baking. I love making bread when it’s less that 50% humidity outside. Above that and the crust of the bread doesn’t “finish off” as well.

my other recommendation is to bake on parchment paper, or at least start it on parchment instead of flouting your stone. Raw flour scorches very easy 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Most baking is very technical. Bread making combines all the technical aspects of baking with biology lab.  Growing your yeast and bacteria and keeping them happy can sometimes be as much art as science.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• EllaJones
    Options
    Utilizing bread machines for making bread is always the best option and I always prefer the top bread machines to make bread at home.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Too bad Ella didn't start her own thread. We could use another burner.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    GlennM said:
    ColbyLang said:
     I love making bread when it’s less that 50% humidity outside.
    I love doing anything when it's less than 50% humidity outside...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas