Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday: Is "barbeque" a noun or a verb?

Options
The title says it all. Which is it a noun or a verb.

I think it is a noun and the product of our endeavors. Some people think its the act of cooking so thus a verb.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    up here its red hotdogs and hamburgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I think it’s a lifestyle.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Here in SC. BBQ is Pulled Pork, hash and rice and slaw, Mac and Cheese etc. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    All of the above.  And as a noun it means 1) the vessel you cook on, 2) the food you cook, and 3) the gathering associated with the process.  

I barbequed barbeque on the barbeque for the barbeque. (although the proper spelling is barbecue)

I believe that in South Africa the same is true of the word braai.

You can braai some braai on the braai at the braai this Saturday.  Although @johnmitchell may want to weigh in on this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Yes.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Both.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    In NC it's a zip code.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Here BBQ means pulled pork only. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Ward's BBQ Hash!!!! Hell yea! Sumter SC. I need to get back there and buy me a few quarts.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Both
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    In the rest of the world it is Brisket and baked beans.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Here it is usually in reference to the process of cooking something - low and slow using smoke and fire. If something is cooked that way it is then barbecued. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SonVolt
    edited January 2019
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

I rarely see baked beans served with brisket. Pintos/Cowboy/Charro yes, but not baked beans. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    JRWhitee said:

I rarely see baked beans served with brisket. Pintos/Cowboy/Charro yes, but not baked beans. 
    Baked, Cowboy, Charro call them what ever you want they are still beans...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    A lot of places here the great state, serve barbecue beans as a side. 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    All of the above.  And as a noun it means 1) the vessel you cook on, 2) the food you cook, and 3) the gathering associated with the process.  

I barbequed barbeque on the barbeque for the barbeque. (although the proper spelling is barbecue)

I believe that in South Africa the same is true of the word braai.

You can braai some braai on the braai at the braai this Saturday.  Although @johnmitchell may want to weigh in on this.

Well done sir!

Reminds me of "had had"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_while_John_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_had_a_better_effect_on_the_teacher
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

So, Q is barbecue, ‘cue is barbecue, and even BBQ is barbecue, but barbeque is fauxque.
  • SonVolt
    edited January 2019
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SonVolt said:
    JRWhitee said:

Baked, Cowboy, Charro call them what ever you want they are still beans...

Well, yeah... but I was talking specifically about baked beans.  Just in my experience I don't typically see baked beans with brisket.  But... I only ever see baked beans here in Pork Butt-land...  
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options

BBQ Beans
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I have never eaten at Killen's BBQ so my statement stands  B)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    It's a sandwich
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    up here, it could be a bean sandwich
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Originally a verb.  Now a noun.  from wiki:

Linguists have suggested the word barbacoa migrated from the Caribbean and into other languages and cultures; it moved from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then Portuguese, French, and English. According to the OED, the first recorded use of the word in English was a verb in 1661, in Edmund Hickeringill's Jamaica Viewed: "Some are slain, And their flesh forthwith Barbacu'd and eat".[2] The word barbecue was published in English in 1672 as a verb from the writings of John Lederer, following his travels in the North American southeast in 1669-70.[5] The first known use of the word as a noun was in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier. In his New Voyage Round the World, Dampier wrote, " ... and lay there all night, upon our Borbecu's, or frames of Sticks, raised about 3 foot from the Ground".[6]

Samuel Johnson's 1756 dictionary gave the following definitions:[7]

• "To Barbecue – a term for dressing a whole hog" (attestation to Pope)
    • "Barbecue – a hog dressed whole"

While the standard modern English spelling of the word is barbecue, variations including barbeque and truncations such as bar-b-q or BBQ may also be found.[8] The spelling barbeque is given in Merriam-Webster and the Oxford Dictionaries as a variant.[9][10] In the southeastern United States, the word barbecue is used predominantly as a noun referring to roast pork, while in the southwestern states cuts of beef are often cooked.[11][page needed]

Options
    up here, it could be a bean sandwich
    Nobody I know of outside of Maine knows what a bean sandwich is. Beans in Maine always accompany red hotdogs. Putting any kind of BBQ sauce in Beans will probably get you shot. As a side note, Baked Beans in Maine are often an entree and served with biscuits. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Nola going all HeavyG  =) 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    it's a combo of both words . . . norb  =)
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I am going to BBQ tomorrow (verb), and we will be eating BBQ (noun) on Sunday!
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Noun only, and it’s made from pork. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I’m gonna barbecue the barbecue chicken in the barbecue. You missed adjective.