Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lump charcoal?

12346»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I was going to say that my charcoal can’t draw air through a door or restart, but it can walk on water.

And then I thought better of it. All lump threads end up the same way.  Someone gets butthurt and some smartass gets it sunk.  Not me this time!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Legume said:
    I was going to say that my charcoal can’t draw air through a door or restart, but it can walk on water.

And then I thought better of it. All lump threads end up the same way.  Someone gets butthurt and some smartass gets it sunk.  Not me this time!
    Maybe if I flag your post you can still be responsible?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Eoin said:
    Legume said:

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Legume said:
    Eoin said:
    Legume said:

Never flagged  post before. Thanks. =)
  • Maple Leaf and Basques Sugar Maple up here in Canada eh?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• I also use Maple Leaf lump with good results. I would like to try some Rockwood to compare. I’ll have to look around Port Huron next time I’m across the border. 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I only use two brands both have been really good for me. "Rockwood", and "Parker Brothers"
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    Maple Leaf and Basques Sugar Maple up here in Canada eh?
    I also use Maple Leaf lump with good results. I would like to try some Rockwood to compare. I’ll have to look around Port Huron next time I’m across the border. 
    That's good stuff.  In fact, I was emailing back and forth with my buddy Jean-Claude there just yesterday.
    surveyor said:
    I only use two brands both have been really good for me. "Rockwood", and "Parker Brothers"
    Also a good company!  I used to see them at keep in touch with them at HPBExpo every year, but I missed them last year.  Very nice folks.
  • All antics aside, I'm actually not a fan of Kroger as a company.

But, I honestly do use the lump they sell under their brand name, almost exclusively.  No idea who makes it, or what other brand names it's sold under.

Having never tried high-end charcoal, aside from BGE lump, I have no idea what the "best" is.

Having exercised all the budget options available from the big box stores, etc., sales at the hardware stores, etc., this one is my preference.

Why: Basically, it lights easily and stays lit, and isn't offensive in any way.

There are a couple brands that I've tried in the past from home depot and lowes that don't seem to have been properly kilned, as they imparted a taste akin to the smell of burned railroad ties to food (yummy).  Others were not so bad, but still seem to be somewhat prone to imparting bitterness to food if you're not careful.

If you're looking for the best, with the metric for goodness being some kind of positive effect on the food flavor, it's definitely not Kroger brand.  If you're looking for something that's neutral and simply burns well, and doesn't break the bank, it's worth a shot.  Add wood chips to bring the flavor in.

If a person is looking for high-end charcoal to add something to a flavor profile, I've heard nothing but good things about Rockwood, which has already been mentioned.