Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Shut Egg

Hi Everyone.  This is my third winter with my XL Egg, and for some reason this winter, my egg becomes frozen shut when the temperature gets to ~20 degrees.  Has this happened to anyone?  Any tips on preventing?  Any tips on getting it opened once it’s frozen shut?
Thanks!
XL Egg hatched November 2016

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Are you leaving the vent open when not in use? Moisture can’t escape and it might help ...

light a small fire in the ash area through the vent to get the egg open — shouldn’t take long. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Do you cover your egg? That can help keep moisture off of the gasket. To thaw, keep some starter cubes on hand. When frozen, drop a lit one through the top vent. This usually works pretty quickly.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    When not In use and that cold,  I would close it with some rags or tinfoil or something between the two halves. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • ColtsFan said:
    Golf tees between the dome and base work great at creating a small gap to prevent this
    I do keep the vent open when not in use, doesn't seem to help, and I do keep it covered.  Thanks for the tips on starting the fire.  The golf tee idea is genius.  Thank you.
    XL Egg hatched November 2016
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2019
    Don’t have time for that?  About one cup of lighter fluid in the bottom with a rolled up newspaper fuse will create the necessary heat to solve your problem.   The dome will release the ice and as an added bonus elevate itself naturally .... kinda like the spring loaded system KJ uses but with even less effort 

Good luck and post pictures  :o;)

ok kidding kidding aside don’t make a bomb. A small fire works great. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    NJEgger said:
    ... Any tips on preventing?  .....
    Thanks!
    Move to FL!!!   B)=)    Never have that problem down here.  Is it Friday yet?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    When you replace your gasket, use a fiberglass or woven ceramic one......they don't absorb water like felt does.  Plus they're only on the bottom so the water doesn't stick to the bare ceramic very well.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    When you replace your gasket, use a fiberglass or woven ceramic one......they don't absorb water like felt does.  Plus they're only on the bottom so the water doesn't stick to the bare ceramic very well.
    I used to think that. Not true though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Wipe the gaskets with olive oil. Just a light film will do. Mine never freezes shut any more. 
    Michiana, South of the border.