Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks...8^(

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
A dear sweet relative of ours gave us a mixed set of beef etc from Omaha Steak for Christmas. The thought was wonderful...BUT how do we thank her in a kind way, BUT not to offend her so that she doesn't repeat that next Christmas? Talk about a rip off! I have to wonder how that company can stay in business! I mean I can buy better beef cuts from Kroger!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I also got package from them as a gift. Not good at all.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I thank you all, I have always thought of trying them. 

I go the other route and try SRF.

• maybe a gift card trade in site?
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Is the dear sweet relative's name Wes Johnson?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I tried them once myself and again like you as a gift.
    small portions but I thought the quality was pretty good. Nice flavor and texture. But high price per ounce. I probably won’t order them again but I would have no problem saying thank you as a gift
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I wouldn't say anything and just hope they go a different route next time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You thank them for the gift. There are many who are Hungary. Donate it to a food bank if you don’t want to consume them yourself. 
    Good on you for that kinda thinking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • You thank them for the gift. There are many who are Hungary. Donate it to a food bank if you don’t want to consume them yourself. 
    https://www.elelmiszerbank.hu/?Lang=en
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thank them. Cook. Enjoy. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If you didn't like it, I would tell them. Truth hurts, but it is what it is. Write a note, use a passive aggressive tone. I'm sure it will be well received. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I would just hope they don't check the bbq forum you're so active in and see this....
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    DMW said:
    If you didn't like it, I would tell them. Truth hurts, but it is what it is. Write a note, use a passive aggressive tone. I'm sure it will be well received. 
    Nah, skip the passive aggressive, I’d go with sarcasm.  Something like:

Thanks.  I’m sure the package of catalog steaks you sent will really up my steak game.

You have to include the pic.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Legume said:
    DMW said:
    Nah, skip the passive aggressive, I’d go with sarcasm.  Something like:

Thanks.  I’m sure the package of catalog steaks you sent will really up my steak game.

You have to include the pic.
    Kills me every time
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    As an Omaha resident, I can vouch that they USED auto be awesome.  As of late, their packages tend to include a lot more hamburgers and hot dogs, as well as other side dishes and heat & eat entrees.  Their sirloins and strips are unimpressive.  The best meats I’ve found have been from the grocery store. 

As as far as how to handle the gift giving graciously...I got nothing.  Sorry buddy!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Turn them on to SRF or Allen Bros. and thank them for the nice gift.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Just remember. You are thanking them for thinking of you and including you in the celebration. The steaks don’t come with a rope. Gifts, at least to me do not come with conditions, guilt, or expectations. Grill them, grind them, or toss them. They want to feel good that they gave you a gift you can enjoy and chose one knowing you like to cook. I would let them sit in blissful ignorance. If you get more next year, by then you’ll know what to do.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Invite them over, cook what they gave you. This way you’re getting rid of it and they might even realize how bad it is. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Turn them on to SRF or Allen Bros. and thank them for the nice gift.
    The difference in price between SRF / AB and the Omaha stuff is considerable. Apples and oranges sonto speak. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    you can also regift them to Wes Johnson!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Ron, if this was a christmas present, both you and your relative should've been completely flooded with advertising; snail mail, emails, and daily phone calls.  I couldn't believe how overboard they went, and they wouldn't take me off their calling list when I asked, repeatedly.
    I finally sent them a register lettered with a copy to my attorneys (Dewey, Skrewem & Howe, AAL).  The advertising stopped.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     The quality of Omaha Steaks has not been good in years. But it is not horrible. For free(gift) or one of their deeply discounted package deals, it is a route to many cheaper meals. And they stay in the freezer as long as you wish since they ar vac packed. I think it is nice when someone thinks of my hobby of cooking when selecting a gift. I just say thank you, very much!

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2019
    What a blessing to have friends send you a gift. One less meal you have to buy for yourself and with the tools and knowledge you've accumulated I'm sure you can just about make shoe leather taste like filet mignon. Give them a kringle from www.ohdanishbakery.com  They'll love you till the day you die. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • =) They used to be decent enough that I cubed their steaks, marinated, and used for kabobs on the egg.  The quality has dropped off in the past couple of years. Might be good in the pressure cooker with some mushroom soup?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Like mentioned earlier, regift it to someone else. I remember the day when I would have loved to get those mediocre steak boxes. Life is all about perspective. Lots of people with lots of different perspectives. Just find someone who doesn’t have any idea what a 45 day dry aged ribeye even is and they will love you for it.  
  • Wow, I think that is a pretty nice gift... Amazing today how unappreciated some folks are.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited January 2019
    We received from a family member an Omaha gift pack of a large spiral sliced ham, small boneless turkey breast, and 4 thin filets,  The ham was very good and came close to Honey Baked.  I pan seared the filets since they were so thin and I didn't want to overcook.  Meat had an almost mushy texture and very little flavor.  I drowned mine in worcestershire.  Turkey breast is still in freezer.  

We told the giver thank you and how good the ham was.  Just didn't mention the steaks.  I have never and never will express disappointment to the giver of a gift.  I'm appreciative of their gesture.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit