Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size?

Hi gang...been awhile since I've been on here...and as long as I've been around you'd think I'd have this one figured out. XL or Large & small? Thanx 
3rd Large Eggs =)
20 inch Yoder Offset
16 & 20 inch Horizon Offsets

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Depends on your cooking needs and style of cooking. 
  • Ok...most of the time...2-3 people main + sides...on occasion...6-7 main & sides. 
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    I have both started with the XL. Very useful if you cook for a group. Works really well for Pizza too. Lg is best when it's just the fam.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • I have both started with the XL. Very useful if you cook for a group. Works really well for Pizza too. Lg is best when it's just the fam.
    So...you think I'd be better off with the large & the small or mini max?
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Let's start with your sig
    do you already have 3 large, a yoder, and 2 horizons
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Yes. I say buy all three
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• My last Large went to our son...I still have a Horizon 20 inch and a PK left. Looking to figure out if I should go back to a large & Small for a backup? Or just the XL only?
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    matters.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Matters
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Egger said:
    matters.
    goddamnit
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    TN_Egger said:
    matters.
    goddamnit
    John you sure are hostile this morning 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    no worries jic - it doesn't matter.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Actually girth for the win  ;)
    And back to the original question- I have the L and S BGE combo.  If you want to run a cook at two different temperatures then having two (or more) rigs is the only way to do that at the same time.  However, if you don't think you would need that then the XL makes sense.  Search function here will yield numerous threads on this subject.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    I have a XL, Large, and minimax.....used to have a medium at home too.

I use the large 95% of the time and I am usually feeding 6.  I really only use the XL only if I need to grill a bunch of stuff like zucchini or corn.  MiniMax is for the kids.

If I had it to do over, I'd have two larges side by side.  That way you can share all the accessories between the two and they cook the exact same.  I've never had anything I couldn't squeeze into the large either.
  • g8golfer said:
    TN_Egger said:
    matters.
    goddamnit
    Swearing...does not impress
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
  • frazzdaddy
    neumsky1 said:
    I have both started with the XL. Very useful if you cook for a group. Works really well for Pizza too. Lg is best when it's just the fam.
    So...you think I'd be better off with the large & the small or mini max?
    Me personally , I would do the large and well, I just did. Haven't even fired it up yet.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    My son had this questioin less than a month ago. I told him XL and don't look back. He thanks me all the time for my input. IMO it is not about how much you cook at once it is how many diferent things on one grill you can cook. The large with out a second tier can't do what an XL can on the grill.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I have a XL, Large, and minimax.....used to have a medium at home too.

I use the large 95% of the time and I am usually feeding 6.  I really only use the XL only if I need to grill a bunch of stuff like zucchini or corn.  MiniMax is for the kids.

If I had it to do over, I'd have two larges side by side.  That way you can share all the accessories between the two and they cook the exact same.  I've never had anything I couldn't squeeze into the large either.
    How much more fuel do you use on the XL compared to the Large? Is it double?
    3rd Large Eggs =)
    20 inch Yoder Offset
  • g8golfer said:
    TN_Egger said:
    matters.
    goddamnit
    I’m suffering from bouncing boob withdrawal.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'd go with a Large.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I really liked my XL and Small combo when I had it. I ended up selling the XL for a stick burner. I found my XL being neglected for majority of my cooks between the wife and I. I do miss it at times for the extra space. Large carries majority of my cooks when it comes to my eggs now a days. 

I'd say go XL if you pair it with the small egg. If going with only one egg I'd go Large.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • XL. don’t worry about fuel consumption. We have two hybrids in our house, one gets a little better mileage than the other because it is smaller. But the bigger hybrid still gets amazing fuel economy. The large and XL are both hybrids in the world of charcoal consumption. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    XL and Mini Max.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    neumsky1 said:
    I have a XL, Large, and minimax.....used to have a medium at home too.

How much more fuel do you use on the XL compared to the Large? Is it double?
    More.....I won't say twice as much, maybe 50% more?  You go through it quicker on a hot and fast, than a low and slow.  It's not just about the grid diameter, it's total volume.  But charcoal usage is the least of my worries.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Just added a Large KJ for the reasons lousubcap touched on above.  Ability to have two cooks going at different temps.  I have brisket and ribs on the XL and appetizers going on the large.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • frazzdaddy
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Just added a Large KJ for the reasons lousubcap touched on above.  Ability to have two cooks going at different temps.  I have brisket and ribs on the XL and appetizers going on the large.  
    This....
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I added a small to my large many years ago and I'm glad I did.  I found that sometimes during a long L&S cook, I wanted to cook some hamburgers, or chicken or something.  I like having multiple units for different temps.  You can't go wrong with the L or XL.  But for me, it is important to have two cookers.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • I have a large and cook for a family of 4 with no issues at all.
    St.Augustine, Florida
    1 Large BGE
  • Sold my large and love the XL.  I cook the potatoes, veggies, beans, and various sides on the rear half, so the front gets the main meal.  If I do shrimp skewers as appetizers, it’s almost too small.  I want an XXL!