Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why?.......Do we wrap our brisket in a towel and throw in a cooler

Options
Telling my wife that I do this because that is the way everyone does it isn't working any more. And to tell the truth other than keeping it warm I'm not sure why I do this.

So whAt is th epoint? I know the meat will still cook some.and rise.I'm IT.  It does it make it more tender?Moistier? Better flavor? I'm just looking for an explanation as to whywhy?
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    This is about resting steaks, but the same science applies.  Also, bigger piece of meat = longer rest.  I also find a slow carry over cook makes it easier to ease into the sweet spot.

NOLA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    It allows the meat to stay at a more stable temp for a longer period of time rather than quickly cooling off. This will allow you to have a "Buffer" between the time you take it off and the time you are eating. If you want to get technical it also allows for some of the moisture lost to be reabsorbed by the meat thus leaving a juicer end product..

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i believe its still breaking down the collagen as the internals back down to about 175 degrees.  briskets also dry out incredibly fast if sliced open right off the grill, incredibly fast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2019
    Options
    In my opinion, you don't need to FTC unless you need to hold the brisket for an extended time, i.e. the brisket is finished and dinner is not for another 4-5 hours. If you are ready to eat and the brisket is done, you can just let it rest on the counter for 20-30 minutes. To be more precise, I think you could let it rest until it drops to 170 degrees or so. I think the rest is important, but FTC is only required for an extended hold. 

FWIW I usually just use my oven to hold. I only FTC if the oven is in use for other purposes or I am transporting the meat. I would rather not have to wash the towels and cooler if I don't need to. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't for no reason.  I cook it until it is done.  Then it's just a matter of when do I want to eat. 

I *ALWAYS* put it out on a cooling rack and let it cool fast so it stops cooking.  Then if I am ready to eat, I will try to cool it down below 140 to cut or if eating later, will store in a cooler, cambro, oven, etc.
    Options
    All of the best briskets I have ever done came out of a cooler after at least two hours of rest... The ones that just rest without the cooler weren't as good.... Not sure if it was the cows, the wood, the weather or what... but I stick with what works best for me.... As for the reason, we'll need to consult with someone that has a degree in brisketology... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Slippy said:
    All of the best briskets I have ever done came out of a cooler after at least two hours of rest... The ones that just rest without the cooler weren't as good.... Not sure if it was the cows, the wood, the weather or what... but I stick with what works best for me.... As for the reason, we'll need to consult with someone that has a degree in brisketology... 
    Coincidence, probably.  Or you're under cooking them and the cooler finishes the job.
    That's the stuff I am looking for.

I read somewhere that Franklin doesn't slice his brisket until it comes down to around 140.

Anyway I've got 3 hunks of brisket in the FTC stage and will eat in another hour or two.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Coincidence, probably.  Or you're under cooking them and the cooler finishes the job.
    I have intentionally pulled at 195, put directly into the cooler and made a two hour drive, and it worked beautifully.... But normally I rest for 30 minutes or so before FTC.. Coincidence, maybe, but I will stick with the process that has gotten me the best results.... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Forget all the BS written above. ^^^ It's simply for more drinking time. That's what I tell my wife anyways.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    I have intentionally pulled at 195, put directly into the cooler and made a two hour drive, and it worked beautifully.... But normally I rest for 30 minutes or so before FTC.. Coincidence, maybe, but I will stick with the process that has gotten me the best results.... 
    So that makes sense.  You are cooking to a temperature that's typically under-done in most briskets.

Forget temperature - it's a terrible indicator of when something is done that's cooked low and slow to break down collagen.  You should be monitoring tenderness.  Stab that brisket with a thermapen or skewer and when it slides through like it's going through butter in *ALL* areas, it's done.  That temp might be 190 for a wagyu  or 208 for a choice, the meat drives the cook, not the temp.  In your case you're probably finishing the cook in the cooler. 

I use temperature to tell me when I'm in the ballpark to checking tenderness.
    Slippy said:
    Slippy said:
    So that makes sense.  You are cooking to a temperature that's typically under-done in most briskets.

Forget temperature - it's a terrible indicator of when something done that's cooked low and slow to break down collagen.  You should be monitoring tenderness.  Stab that brisket with a thermapen or skewer and when it slides through like it's going through butter in *ALL* areas, it's done.  That temp might be 190 for a wagyu  or 208 for a choice, the meat drives the cook, not the temp.  In your case you're probably finishing the cook in the cooler. 

I use temperature to tell me when I'm in the ballpark to checking tenderness.
    That's what I did. I started probing at 190 and pulled the point off at 193. The flat was on a higher rack and it didn't probe right until it hit 203. 

This is the first time I have cooked a brisket and used probing instead of IT to know when to pull it.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's like mashed potatoes... once they cool down they're never the same.  You can keep mashed potatoes hot for hours with no degradation in quality.  Once they've cooled and you have to reheat, well, eat something else. 

With that principle in mind, if your oven has a warm setting ( < 170F ) you can just stick it in the oven until you're ready to eat; that's what restaurants do with warming drawers which are just glorified low-temp ovens. The idea is to keep the meat warm but not so warm you prolong cooking. The cooler is just an easy way to do it... although I find the oven easier. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    ^^^
     I wrapped this brisket in foil and then a towel and put it in the oven.

The only issue my family had was that it was a little dry but still good. I went start to finish with a water tray but I did not wrap. Next time I'll see about wrapping at around 165.
    MiniMax 04/17

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I use newspapers instead of the towel, and then throw away the greasy papers. Cooler is still clean.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Once mashed potatoes get cool, just make knoedel!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    That is when the magic happens. The time in the FTC allows the juices to redistribute into the meat. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    @""Semolina Pilchard"
    Semolina finally touched on it.  It's all about redistribution of juices.  I Cook fat cap down and FTC with the fat cap up.  The evidence is in the foil at the endnof the FTC.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That is when the magic happens. The time in the FTC allows the juices to redistribute into the meat. 
    That's what happens when the meat cools down.  The FTC just makes it take longer.
    Options
    What is this FTC

• SonVolt
    Options
    You throw your finished BBQ in a cooler, pack it full of towels, then close the lid. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you have a decent cooler, the towels don't do a damn thing except turn into horror shows and get you into marital trouble.
    Options
    It depends on the size of your cooler. The less empty space the better. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    It depends on how long you’re trying to hold the brisket.  If you have two hours until you eat, no need for towels, etc.  it’s just a way to slow down the cooling vs sitting on the counter.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    It depends on the size of your cooler. The less empty space the better. 
    Not if you have a gasket on your cooler.   A towel has much more thermal mass than air so it's just another cold surface in the cooler to wick heat from the meat.

Sure, the towel acts as insulation to slow all that down (the heating of the inside of the cooler), but over time, it's worse than not having one at all.
    Options
    That's why I stick my cooler in the oven. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my towel or the dogs towel,  just kidding, theres just the one towel.  wonder how many over the years went out and bought a towel for this method
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    Options
    I've never tried it b/c my steam table pans don't fit in my cooler. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Wrapping in foil and some paper to absorb the leaking spooge is all ya need.  The foil acts as a radiant barrier, like those emergency blankets to keep you warm.  Reflect the radiant heat back into the meat.