Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why?.......Do we wrap our brisket in a towel and throw in a cooler

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    probably the only one to do this but i usually have a bean pot or two going for this type of cook, it will keep the cooler temp up most of a day. 8 to 10 hours if need be
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    It depends on the size of your cooler. The less empty space the better. 
    Not if you have a gasket on your cooler.   A towel has much more thermal mass than air so it's just another cold surface in the cooler to wick heat from the meat.

Sure, the towel acts as insulation to slow all that down (the heating of the inside of the cooler), but over time, it's worse than not having one at all.
    I run hot water in the cooler
    and the towels in the dryer 

heated up as much as possible
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    On the  counter to stop the cooking, foil, then back in the egg which holds heat for about 2 1/2 hours after shutting down. 
  • EggerPalmerATL
    Options
    I do it to keep the temp from dropping too much if the cook finished more than an hour before the party. If I’m within the hour, I wrap in a towel and leave it on the counter. If I’m within 30 min, I put it in the dish I’m serving in (whole) and drape a towel. I never pull/shred until the first guest has their plate in hand. 
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I’ve developed the perfect method. Once your probing tender drive the brisket to the community centre and place the brisket in the sauna steam room for three hours or longer if you like. 

Not only does it hold temp but the relative humidity makes for the juiciest brisket I’ve ever had.  To prevent complaints that the food tastes like old man a$$ chose your spot wisely 

who needs franklins fancy cvap machines when this simple hack works like a charm 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I wrap in foil, then put in a clean trash bag, then into the cooler.  No mess to clean up. So its FTtbC.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Bama_Man
    Options
    I pull mine at 195, slow and low at 235. The last two I have poured a cup of red wine over and  triple wrapped in heavy foil. Set in cooler till ready to slice. It really puts the moistness all the way through and the wine adds a nice touch. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I never use the towel.  My wife uses those dryer sheets when doing the laundry and I don’t want that smell on my food.  And im sure as hell not going to tell her how to do the laundry!!  :o:o
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Just use garage grade towels-works for me.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    I do it just so I can justify cooler purchases 
    Jacksonville FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    If you have a decent cooler, the towels don't do a damn thing except turn into horror shows and get you into marital trouble.

If you're divorced, or looking to get divorced, the "Hers" towels work pretty good. 

Phoenix 
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I figured the towels were there to absorb any condensation.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’s simply a rest. The big cut needs a big rest after the big cook.  It absolutely benefits the final product and for me that’s been in the 2-6 hour range. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Tato
    Tato Posts: 1
    Options
    Smoked a brisket for 12 hours at 225-260 unwrapped. I’m the last I have wrapped at the 150-160 stall. However, on this one unwrapped it stalled at 197-198 and then went down a degree and has been sitting there for about an hour. Should I wrap it let it rise to 205 or pull it FTC? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Tato The key to the finish-line is when you get the "probes like butter" in the thick part of the flat feel, independent of temperature.  So, if you don't have the feel then don't pull. 
    After that decision point, if the bark where you want it, then you can wrap in butcher paper-if pressed for time and you need to power thru then wrap in foil or if you want more bark creation let it run til you get the feel.  If the feel is still not present in the 208-209 *F range then I would pull it; give it 20 minutes or so of cooling rack rest (stop the carryover cooking) wrap in foil and FTC.  FWIW-
    Edit: always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not having read anything but the title, the answer is "because we are fvcking idiots".