Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lump charcoal?

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    all 3
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    RRP said:
    SonVolt said: koo
    I used dried up cattle dung. 
    to eat or cook with? I'm cornfused
    You need some of this fine product, perhaps...
    The one you have at the time you need it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Rockwood but if on a budget royal oak does just fine.  if 10$ makes little difference then get the rockwood 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

• Any plans to introduce Rockwood into Canada, particularly southern Ontario?
    Sure, soon as we can find a big enough customer and/or one that afford the freight.  We have the bag proofs ready with the required French lingo, but I'm not going to print 40,000 of them until we have a solid deal with somebody.  Spread the word, S'il vous plaît.
    I’m in Ottawa, Ontario. So it sounds like it’s settled then - I’ll take a dozen bags and @OshawaDave will take the balance.

=) 
  • Rockwood is awesome for using with other flavored woods as it has such a lite smoke taste all by itself.

Royal oak has a stronger but decent flavor to it's smoke.  

Imo
  • The OP joined the forum a mere months ago but is already plotting to destroy it with his divisive and explosive question. And not even on a Friday.

;););)

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I'll throw in my two cents, as that's what each opinion on this subject is worth. (I don't say that to throw sh!t, I say it because I think geographic location and altitude have a lot to do with how lump burns)(also, most of my philosophies are based in complete and total BS).

I digress. I use two brands. Rockwood for L&S and anything else indirect. Royal Oak in the 15lbs. red bag from HD for hot cooks, grilling and when I use a vessel (like a Dutch Oven for chili) because it's readily available here and saves the RW as it's not. 

Hope that helps. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Someone repost this in 24 hours...

jason alexander popcorn GIF by Cheezburger
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669

Any plans to introduce Rockwood into Canada, particularly southern Ontario?
    Sure, soon as we can find a big enough customer and/or one that afford the freight.  We have the bag proofs ready with the required French lingo, but I'm not going to print 40,000 of them until we have a solid deal with somebody.  Spread the word, S'il vous plaît.
    I’m in Ottawa, Ontario. So it sounds like it’s settled then - I’ll take a dozen bags and @OshawaDave will take the balance.

=) 
    I’d take a few as well :)  bbqing.com and bbqquebec.com might be potential customers.  I think BBQ Quebec has a distribution agreement with BMR hardware stores.  @stlcharcoal your french translations better be good 😂

After many trials, Rockwood, hands down!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

• Any plans to introduce Rockwood into Canada, particularly southern Ontario?

No interest from Lowes, Home Depot or Costco?

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Costco would be awesome

edited January 2019
    Am I the only sucker still using BGE brand lump? I got my car's oil changed at the dealer this morning too. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    It took me many years to learn that you "get what you pay for".  It holds true in most all cases.  Volkswagen vs Cadillac, Ruths Chris vs Longhorn, Ruths Chris vs Reverse Sear on the BGE, etc.

Over and out.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Grove, why cause burns good, its local, available year round from many outlets, and the price is good.
  • SonVolt
    Ruths Chris vs Reverse Sear on the BGE, etc.

I'll  take the 1,700F over-head broiler for $500, Alex. 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    SonVolt said:

$500.....yep that's about what it costs for dinner for 2 there if you each get asparagus and a baked potato!  Hahahaha.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt said:

$500.....yep that's about what it costs for dinner for 2 there if you each get asparagus and a baked potato!  Hahahaha.

They're finally starting to release those broilers for the home! Once the price drops some I'm snagging one. 
  • SonVolt

Other way around......I have no interest in them.  All the big boxes have contacted us and it's a huge waste of time to even engage.  It's a non-starter when they start telling me what they pay for charcoal from Mexico and South America, the ridiculous margin and damage policies they require, and all the other BS.  They're buying charcoal for less than we can even produce it--and that should tell you something since the companies producing it, the distributors, and freight companies moving it thousands of miles, are all still making money.  Must be nice to be to pay pennies for clear cut wood & labor, then pump as much particulate into the atmosphere as you want.  EPA+DNR+OSHA+IRS+ETC = $$$$$$

Where would I find your charcoal in the North Alabama area?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited January 2019
    Slippy said:
    Rockwood. Hardly any smoke, great price.
    Where do you get your Rockwood around here? I want to try it. Been using Fogo since they have it at BBQ Galore... 
    Check with your local Ace Hardware stores, if they don't stock it, they can special order it out of their distribution center.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    SonVolt said:

Other way around......I have no interest in them.  All the big boxes have contacted us and it's a huge waste of time to even engage.  It's a non-starter when they start telling me what they pay for charcoal from Mexico and South America, the ridiculous margin and damage policies they require, and all the other BS.  They're buying charcoal for less than we can even produce it--and that should tell you something since the companies producing it, the distributors, and freight companies moving it thousands of miles, are all still making money.  Must be nice to be to pay pennies for clear cut wood & labor, then pump as much particulate into the atmosphere as you want.  EPA+DNR+OSHA+IRS+ETC = $$$$$$

Where would I find your charcoal in the North Alabama area?

Ace 
    We do not have many dealers in that area.  Here's the locator:  http://rockwood.online

Some Ace Hardwares not on our locator, might have it on the shelf though.  If not, they can have it in a few days out of the Loxley warehouse using SKU# 8400772.  Their website will show if you're local store has it:  https://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ace-hardware/

We're just starting to hit True Values in that area, just ask them to order SKU# 249526.

Last resort, order it online from us and you'll have it in 2-days:  http://rockwood.store

Last Last Last resort.....Amazon or eBay.  Still comes direct from us, but you're paying 10-15% more to cover all the fees we have to pay through them
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

They're finally starting to release those broilers for the home! Once the price drops some I'm snagging one. 
    Know anyone in the commercial cooking business?
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited January 2019
    Hiker said:
    OMG. I had no idea there was such variety and passion for lump.  Thanks for the thread.  I will search for more data.  I live in Southern California.
    I’m in Orange County, ACE is where I get Rockwood lump but I usually have to order it to the one closest to me.  If I’m in a pinch I’ll go to Barbecues Galore and pick up some Fogo.  You should have one of those or both near you in most of So Cal.  

Welcome to the fun..  
  • SonVolt
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Not exactly. I was talking about the Otto Wylde and equivalents. 
  • Tspud1
    SonVolt said:
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Not exactly. I was talking about the Otto Wylde and equivalents. 
    That's a infrared burner and many steakhouses use them.
  • SonVolt
    Yep. 
  • Tspud1
    SonVolt said:
    Yep. 
    One I make
  • SonVolt
    Tspud1 said:
    SonVolt said:
    Yep. 
    One I make

Wait, you make salamanders?