Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lump charcoal?

Which is best and why?  Do you have a favorite or does it change by what you are grilling?
Got a GoFundMe acct my 1st BGE Large

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is almost as bad as discussing politics :smiley:  Buy  whatever lump is readily available where you live. 

Rockwood is great stuff, but it's somewhat pricey. Skip the BGE brand lump, since it's basically Royal Oak.  

See what is available, and try a bag of each to figure out what you like .You may love a brand that doesn't cost >$1/lb. Or not.

In the end, what works for you, is the best lump charcoal. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    I like Royal Oak from Home Depot.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I had good luck with Royal Oak (red bag, made in USA) for several bags, but their quality went south on me last year. Lots of stinky smoke. I've been using Rockwood ever since and it's all I'll ever use now.

Search the forum for threads on lump. You might find a couple  ;)
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Big Rockwood supporter here. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Yup-politics, religion and lump discussions.  All  hot button topics here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Just search on lump to see the passion and volume of discussions on the subject. I use Royal Oak as my workhorse lump and then Rockwood for "special occassions" as it's pretty pricey. Honestly though, I've had great cooks on Kroger brand lump. The only one I've heard people be adamant about staying away from is Cowboy brand I believe so I've never tried it.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    We prefer ROCKWOOD for a few reasons. 
    1: less Smokey than other brands
    2: extremely consistent  
    3:  owned by an egghead who goes above and beyond for his customers.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use whatever is cheap with the exception of the mesquite lump from Sam's Club, it's terrible for low and slows but fine for direct grilling.
    I’ve kinda gown to like the Doller General brand. I empty the bag throw out the old shingles, nails, rocks, bug spray can pieces and beer bottle glass. It’s not too bad after the initial burn smell...
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited January 2019
    Rockwood. Hardly any smoke, great price.
    Where do you get your Rockwood around here? I want to try it. Been using Fogo since they have it at BBQ Galore... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I've been stuck on Royal Oak from HD, since I can usually find it cheap. I used to buy it from walmart but they stopped carrying it. I need to pick up a bag of Rockwood next time I stop by ace hardware, last time I checked local they wanted $27 a bag... but that was a while ago.
    LBGE
    AL
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    I buy Rockwood at ACE Hardware. It sells for $27.99 but there are monthly discount coupons for club members. (Membership is free.)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Not sure where you live but there are many brands around the US. Here is a site which has a wealth of lump information.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • My local Ace has matched the internet pricing for Rockwood in the past. I just asked and they said yes.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    for the most part i just buy cheap and affordable and its usually the hated cowboy lump.  have tried most of them and found its just more about lighting it and waiting for it to start burning clean (some take longer to burn clean)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hiker
    Hiker Posts: 13
    OMG. I had no idea there was such variety and passion for lump.  Thanks for the thread.  I will search for more data.  I live in Southern California.
    Got a GoFundMe acct my 1st BGE Large
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2019
    Slippy said:
    Where do you get your Rockwood around here? I want to try it. Been using Fogo since they have it at BBQ Galore... 

At the Ace next to Deep Cuts. It's usually around $22.99-$24.99 and I get monthly $5 off coupons so I pay around $20

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited January 2019
    Slippy said:

That reminds me @stlcharcoal See if you can get in touch with BBQ's Galore in Rockwall, Texas. I went in there praising you guys the other day and the store manager wants to talk to you about becoming a vendor.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    I still have a shed full of Wicked Good. Last I looked it was in short supply because of the trade crap that going on. The only lump I've ever used in fact.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019
    Slippy said:

That reminds me @stlcharcoal See if you can get in touch with BBQ's Galore in Rockwall, Texas. I went in there praising you guys the other day and the store manager wants to talk to you about becoming a vendor.
    Yeah that would be great to get in there.....I've heard of them before.  Thanks for birddogging for us (that's how 90% of our dealers have come to us, as we do very little marketing.)
    Slippy said:

Right now, it should be on all the shelves of the Ace Hardwares around you.  Or if you get on the other side of town, there's BBQ Outfitters, Ceramic Grill Store, and Charred that all carry it.  If you get it from Ace, make sure you sign up for the rewards program to get the monthly coupons!!  Last resort, you can order from us directly on the website, but it's better/cheaper for you (and us) if you buy local.  
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Hiker said:
    OMG. I had no idea there was such variety and passion for lump.  Thanks for the thread.  I will search for more data.  I live in Southern California.

Do you know any other Green Eggers in the area? You might be able to get a pallet of Rockwood and share a supply.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    Sundown said:
    I still have a shed full of Wicked Good. Last I looked it was in short supply because of the trade crap that going on. The only lump I've ever used in fact.
    heres hoping it is the old comp blend in the shed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Slippy said:

Yeah that would be great to get in there.....I've heard of them before.  Thanks for birddogging for us (that's how 90% of our dealers have come to us, as we do very little marketing.)
    Slippy said:

Right now, it should be on all the shelves of the Ace Hardwares around you.  Or if you get on the other side of town, there's BBQ Outfitters, Ceramic Grill Store, and Charred that all carry it.  If you get it from Ace, make sure you sign up for the rewards program to get the monthly coupons!!  Last resort, you can order from us directly on the website, but it's better/cheaper for you (and us) if you buy local.  

Any plans to introduce Rockwood into Canada, particularly southern Ontario?

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Rockwood for the past few months and tried all the others before.  Rockwood is my choice going forward.  Royal Oak is a close second but there was some bad mixes in some of their bags.  Cowboy...never again.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2019

Any plans to introduce Rockwood into Canada, particularly southern Ontario?
    Sure, soon as we can find a big enough customer and/or one that afford the freight.  We have the bag proofs ready with the required French lingo, but I'm not going to print 40,000 of them until we have a solid deal with somebody.  Spread the word, S'il vous plaît.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I used dried up cattle dung. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SonVolt said:
    I used dried up cattle dung. 
    to eat or cook with? I'm cornfused
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.