Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Cap?

13»

Comments

• I'm planning on adding another XL in the spring, I'v seen the design on the new cap... thanks but no. I'm old school, I'm sure the smokeware cap is awesome but I have learned to control the temp via the daisy wheel (bottom vent wide open) within + or - 10 degrees. This is the first BGE type book I bought and it covers the settings of the daisy wheel..... Hell, I'll be asking one of you sell me your daisy wheel or swap the new design for your old, and I'll pay for shipping..

Thanks for looking!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    I’m sure it was an accident, but my new XL came with the DFMT, ceramic cap, and the new rEggulator.  So, I have a new DFMT that I likely will never use, as I also have a Smokeware chimney cap.  Hit me up if you decide want you want to trade metal tops later on, @BGEChicago
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The rust color of my daisy wheels compliment the green nicely. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    They smoke better I am sure  =)
    KK are better smokers than a BGE to about the same degree that a BGE is a better smoker than a Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    HeavyG said:
    KK are better smokers than a BGE to about the same degree that a BGE is a better smoker than a Weber Kettle or Smokey Mountain.
    How so? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Old school.....and how we roll in Missouri

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:
    How so? 
    I guess I should have said "...to about the same degree (essentially zero) that...".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• @stlcharcoal has it pretty much right on track with that can vent!  I even built one out of a 5” piece of aluminum substation bus tubing, 12” long.  The draft was unreal and got my XL up to 600 in minutes. 

I run my cooks with the bottom vent barely cracked open for <400 degree temps, so my Smokeware cap is mostly on there for the “cool” factor!

Sold my daisy wheel and ceramic cap on eBay for $65.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Smobot for the new rEGGulator?
    canuckland
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have the regular dfmt too and I have no problems in the rain. This new lid is a solution looking for a problem. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Also, smobot all the way 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• For all of you smokeware cap owners that converted to the rEggulator have you had any issues getting the base of the smokeware cap off? I’m thinking mine is glued on after all of the cooks I’ve done with it. 
  • I'm planning on adding another XL in the spring, I'v seen the design on the new cap... thanks but no. I'm old school, I'm sure the smokeware cap is awesome but I have learned to control the temp via the daisy wheel (bottom vent wide open) within + or - 10 degrees. This is the first BGE type book I bought and it covers the settings of the daisy wheel..... Hell, I'll be asking one of you sell me your daisy wheel or swap the new design for your old, and I'll pay for shipping..

Thanks for looking!
    @bgechicago, I would be happy to take you up on that trade deal.  I even have a brand new daisy wheel that I have never used that came with the XL I bought last spring.
  • I have the regular dfmt too and I have no problems in the rain. This new lid is a solution looking for a problem. 
    I dont see it this way.  Its not trying to solve something that is broken, but it is a definite improvement.  For people that have the dfmt (I have like 4-5 of them), and it works, there is no need to replace it.  But having a vent that also can stay on permanently instead of the green cap, its an improvement.  And it also doesn't lose its settings when you move the lid.  Did the old BGE hinge (going way back, the scissor style one that you had to lock, no springs) do the job?  Yes, but the new band with springs allowed the dome to be lifted easier, and stay up with less effort.  It was an improvement.  It did not mean everyone had to replace their old gear.  And in this situation, BGE does not charge more for it over the dfmt (i would wager a new dfmt is close to, if not identical in price to the reggulator), and its even included with new eggs.  This new part represents progress, and it works really well.  I dont usually back BGE like this, but I have to say after buying one a month ago to learn more about it, it really is better.
  • For all of you smokeware cap owners that converted to the rEggulator have you had any issues getting the base of the smokeware cap off? I’m thinking mine is glued on after all of the cooks I’ve done with it. 
    No.  Have you tried while it is hot?  (obviously with welding gloves or some protection).