Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Jambalaya: Just Wow

Options
Got a new toy, a cast iron dutch oven, for Christmas and thought I'd give it a go with homemade from scratchJambalaya. I'm definitely a culinary novice to say the least so it was challenging and interesting. 

I tried to follow this Donald Link recipe as close as I could: 

https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/old-school-chicken-and-sausage-jambalaya

Spatched a chicken and cooked in the egg in cast iron pan so I could save the fat/juices. 

Made chicken stock with the bones and veggies, it took about an hour/hour and a half. Diced everything up.

After the stock was ready I put the pot on the egg and started de-glazing and reducing. Over and over and over again. Just trying to get those flavors in the bottom of the pan. This was my first time with these methods and it was just fascinating to watch it come together.  

In hindsight, had the pot been a little hotter, it probably would have taken less time, but overall it worked very well. 

After at least an hour and a half of de-glazing and reducing, I finally added the rice, covered the oven and let simmer for 40 minutes. When it was finished it was excellent. I'll warn you this recipe is spicy, but everyone at my house loved it.

Then I made some cornbread on the egg to pair it with, I love that combination. 

My LGE worked hard from 2pm until 8pm on relatively high heat all day with no complaints. Just a great cooker. 

And then I got to eat this while watching Texas take down Georgia. 

Hook'em!
LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX

Comments

• BigGreenBean
    Options
    Looks great.  Some novice...
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yeah, if I ever make jambalaya that good, I'm going to consider myself an expert.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bravo all around! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That. Looks. Phenomenal!! :clap:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Awesome and successful undertaking!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Way to branch out and then nail it.  Congrats on the gift and the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Eggcellent looking cook!
    Thanks for the link to the recipe
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That looks great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    POW—For a “noob” to cooking you sure fooled me. Anyone who is tackling anything with James Beard in the title gets a heal clicking salute💂🏻‍♂️, especially with a new device they aren’t necessarily used to. Way to get it it done. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Nice. I'm going to try this.

Mountain View, CA
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    I cook pot roast all the time, I'm too lazy to put the plate setter down so I put the lump in the back and the dutch oven on the opposite side and it works just as well.   Just trying to save you the extra effort,,, With the pot roast I sear it (in that case in the back over the coals) the transfer in the D. O.  in the front to finish... That is a great cook !!!!!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I’d

Hit

That
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    I cook pot roast all the time, I'm too lazy to put the plate setter down so I put the lump in the back and the dutch oven on the opposite side and it works just as well.   Just trying to save you the extra effort,,, With the pot roast I sear it (in that case in the back over the coals) the transfer in the D. O.  in the front to finish... That is a great cook !!!!!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot next time!
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    That is a beautiful  pot of goodness.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmourati
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Question: I bought 3 raw cajun sausages from the butcher. It's in casings, in link form, but not smoked. Did you choose a par-cooked smoked sausage and just slice it up into half moons? Did that have the desired sticking to the bottom of the pot effect?

I'm thinking of smoking one of the sausages along with the chicken and using the other two raw to form the base for cooking the vegetables.
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Question: I bought 3 raw cajun sausages from the butcher. It's in casings, in link form, but not smoked. Did you choose a par-cooked smoked sausage and just slice it up into half moons? Did that have the desired sticking to the bottom of the pot effect?

I'm thinking of smoking one of the sausages along with the chicken and using the other two raw to form the base for cooking the vegetables.
    not that any jambalaya rules are chiseled in stone, but if you use raw sausage to caramelize and deglaze, it will break up and you'll have a "dirty rice" mixture consistancy vs distinct sausage chunks.  Probably would be delicious either way.
    Options
    Ya, that's what I was thinking @nolaegghead . Thanks for the local insights. I'm starting soon.
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This Jambalaya recipe is amazing. Like OP, I'm also a newbie. I managed it without too much trouble. It did take most of the day. I smoked the sausage first, then the chicken, then made the chicken stock, then started in on the recipe.

Here are some photos.

Thanks for sharing!

Here's a slightly more complete recipe. The original never says when to re-add the sausage.

https://leitesculinaria.com/77092/recipes-chicken-and-sausage-jambalaya.html
    Mountain View, CA
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bravo
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    That looks amazing! 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Excellent looking Jambalaya!!! Well done! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • dmourati
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Made this again tonight for a dinner party. What I learned the second go around is that cooking the sausage a bit more doesn't hurt it and you can easily store and reheat jambalaya for a couple of days. This recipe is killer.

Garnish with some reserved scallions (the green part) and some sea salt.

Served with some andouille sausage packed ABTs, some cornbread, some Abita Amber and Purple Haze and a side of Zydeco music.
    Mountain View, CA