Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Few things you have or wish you had for your BGE Table

Hope everyone had a great Holiday. For Christmas my family purchased a gift card to a friend of mines business that makes custom furniture for me to finally get a custom BGE table.  Was hoping to ask the forum to see if anyone has any “must haves”
or things that they wish they added or did to their table that they realized after it was built.  I am sure I will get a bunch of interesting answers, but looking for some help. Thanks!  I will post the photos of the table once it is completed.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    My family surprised me with an XL (giving my L to my daughter and her new hubby as a wedding gift after I refinish the table) and it came with a nice cedar table.  No bells and whistles.  I prefer a lot of counter top space.  I like the looks of cabinetry but it really depends on where you plan on storing it.  I'd prefer more shelf space to store coal/wood/tools.  Granite counter tops are nice, casters are a must...
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • I prefer a good amount of counter space on each side of the Egg. I also would like an electrical strip for plugging in the FlameBoss or any other tool that needs power.

Recently sold my LBGE so I'm busy trying to figure out how/what to build for my MMX. This may prove to be a great thread for my build too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Depending on the layout, and if it will be stored permanently on the deck/patio, a corner table is nice as when you are at the egg, as it isn't a very far reach. I would recommend looking into alternatives to a wooden top. Poured concrete, granite, stainless. Wooden tops get beat up over time with grease, hot platesetters, etc.   
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2018
    If you have a wood top, I would put a metal radiant barrier in lining the egg-hole.

I didn't do this on mine and that area is the only place with damage after 6 years.

I figure I need to repair it, put a new coat on the top.  So I picked up some stainless steel bar stock.  I'm going to bend it to fit inside the hole with a small space behind it.  Hopefully that will cut down on the amount of heat.
    edited December 2018
    I have hooks for an ash tool and dust pan for when I clean out the bottom.  Also some handles are screwed on for me to hang a pair (or pairs) of tongs.  Plus a bottle opener for when I need a refreshing beverage.

Also, if you do have a wood top definitely look into getting something that can hold something hot.  My in-laws got a remaindered piece of granite that is a little over 2x2 that they paid like $10 for.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Paper towel holder. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    after 19 years i have not gotten to the table for it, but i did get the beer opener for the table so im half way there =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Paper towel holder. 
    Good addition, unless your table gets wet.
    mag strip someplace even if its flat on the table to hold the sharp knives.  small cutting board for limes =)
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Paper towel holder. 
    I bring the roll outside already when cooking. Just wish I had a place to mount it for easy access. I have a table top holder....but not happy with it. I have a grannet top and I wipe it down (paper towel and granit cleaner) whenever I remove the cover. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    big HDPE cutting board,  you can get them cut to anysize you want. pretty much indestructible for out door use. have some holes cut in it for hanging on the side or back when not in use. i toss mine in the lake for a day after fish cleaning and just tie it to the shore
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    mag strip someplace even if its flat on the table to hold the sharp knives.  small cutting board for limes =)
    That's a good idea.  I have about 25 of those I collected from Harbor Freight when they had them as a free coupon.
    Paper towel holder. 
    I bring the roll outside already when cooking. Just wish I had a place to mount it for easy access. I have a table top holder....but not happy with it. I have a grannet top and I wipe it down (paper towel and granit cleaner) whenever I remove the cover. 
    suction cups on something like this?

• One thing I have on my table that I love is the side burner from my old gas grill. I use it for frying fish, cooking bacon, etc. I even used it to make coffee when the power went out. I also have an umbrella mounted in the middle but the post does get in the way. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The best table accessory in my opinion is a 12-18” towel bar like you use in a bathroom. It can be used for countless things. I like hanging my tongs on it while cooking. No fiddling with the closer tab and keeps everything clean and sanitary. 
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I will share pictures once my table is complete! 

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • Hooks and a towel bar are good options. 

Also, just my two cents, but I would build it on the bigger side. It is amazing how many accessories you will need to store or set down, and the additional surface area will also allow you to perform meal prep, use it as a buffet table and add a table top Egg (Mini or MiniMax) when the time comes.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    make sure you have ample counter space, and figure out how you want to store accessories and plan to add more especially if you are hanging out here, your going to be adding more.  make sure you get an air gap under the egg via a table nest or something, dont just sit it on a paver and i would make the table top something easy to clean.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    A roof over mine
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Roof

Storage

Hooks for accessories

Space  

Cutting board

Paper towel holder/storage

Handles if you want to move it 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • I like the flexibility of using nests with a side table. I have a large on the right, then a four foot stainless table with a 22” blackstone stored on the lower shelf, then 2 XLs, then another four foot stainless table with a mini and a mini max on top. Lots of shelf storage and the ability to reconfigure as needed when you add or subtract eggs. This isn’t for everyone as some people really like putting their egg inside a wooden structure, because wood things are cool, and I get it completely. I will probably invest in the BGE modular tables. They give me the flexibility I am used to where the egg is not part of the larger table structure, but they can be attached to each other if desired. 

Congrats on the awesome gift and im excited to see what you choose for your situation. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2019
    One thing I have on my table that I love is the side burner from my old gas grill.

I also have an umbrella mounted in the middle but the post does get in the way. 
    I havent gotten rid of Gasser for that reason and have looked up portable burners actually.

Love the Umbrella Idea

If I ever make one it has to sit 100% in the elements 24/7 so I cant imagine its going to last long.  I have been considering making one out of Wire Shelving with Wheels to move it around but not sure if sealed wood or that would hold up better.  Something like this

Also considering just buying the new modular set up from BGE, that is basically just what I want.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    built in fridge
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    This was my solution for needing more counter space with my table - a drop leaf board using metal hinges with 130 pound strength.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I wish my challenger cart had a hook on the left side edge to hold the grid while I'm loading/cleaning the lump or firebox. I end up just leading the grid against the cart a lot and that isn't great.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    after 19 years i have not gotten to the table for it, but i did get the beer opener for the table so im half way there =)
    I must be 3/4's the way there then; I have plans drawn, wood bought, and two beer openers (in case the first one wore out), and all this in only 6 years!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    I hope to be building my table before too far into spring. All depends on which friend gives me a hand (they have the tools that I don't have to do this). I'm giving serious thought to making the table large enough to house a second egg. Right now I have the medium, and am giving lots of thought into getting a large as well. Mostly for doing whole turkeys above 14#. In a way, that could be a far way off. Since I'm able to get 12-14# birds pretty easily. It's just like Tuco in there (TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!) when it's a hair over 14#.
    I'm looking to alter some of the plans I found (here) for the table to include a bit more storage for things like an ash bucket and maybe water proof charcoal storage.
    Will see when it gets made. ;)
    I'm also starting to use the egg more and more even for grilling tasks. 'm looking to replace the propane grill come spring and am not sure if I'll get a smaller gas grill to take it's place, or just use the BGE more. Right now it's a coin toss.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited January 2019
    I wired up my table for power. Has a plug inside, a waterproof plug on the side, and light switches inside for the LED lights under the lip. 
    I also like that I made the large storage area a full extension drawer rather than a cabinet. I can pull the drawer all the way out and easily reach everything inside.
    I wish I had put better wheels on it. The original ones deformed from the summer heat and the weight and need to be replaced. Wish I had hooks or magnet bar on the edge for utensils. I can still add those.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Diesel_Hokie
    Diesel_Hokie Posts: 22
    edited January 2019
    I made my own table based on some plans I found on line...  I think this was my primary source:

The final dimensions of the top were 27" deep by 57" wide.

I then bought a relatively inexpensive cover (only $28) off of Amazon that I thought might work.  By coincidence, it BARELY fits but over the course of a season it shrinks just enough that I end up tearing it.  Of course, I just buy another cover from Amazon but when I build my next table I'm going to make it an inch shorter (56" wide) or, if I do something completely different, at least consider what covers are readily available.

Sorry - I don't have a good photo with the cover on it...  but here's a shot from my most recent smoking / brew day: