Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I’m not a tech guy so looking for some help

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
as you k ow Norah Grace loves to cook bbq and many other things.   She wants to start an instagram account which I’m ok with.  It will be done under my name with the uploads just being cooking pictures.  For those of you who use Instagram and other tech media things, is it safe and easy to do.  We put one post on but then I got nervous because I do not want people being able to take her image.  Any feedback would be great.  Thank you all in adavance.  

the_buckeye_bbq    Is the name if anyone needs to look at it to tell me if it is protected.   One of these days I’m going to have to get with the times. 
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It’s not protected:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ryantt
    Options
    Ok is it possible to make it protected?   @JohnInCarolina

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You want to set the account up to be private, where the only people who can see the pics are those you choose to allow to follow you.  At least, that is my recommendation.

Our daughter has an IG account but we set it up so that the account name is very generic and not tied to her name.  Then her privacy settings are as I’ve described, above.
  • ryantt
    Options
    Ok I will do the same.   I appreciate the info, as I said I’m not a tech guy.   I’m what my wife and family call “old” 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Ok is it possible to make it protected?   @JohnInCarolina
    Yes.  See here:

https://help.instagram.com/448523408565555

• ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina.  Appreciate the help

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ryantt said:
    ... I do not want people being able to take her image...

I don't use Instagram, so I can't comment on that, but anyone who can see the image can also save a copy of it.  It might not be super easy, depending on how the site tries to stop them, but it's definitely do-able.  An easy, non-tech way of doing it is simply to make a screen capture (save the entire screen as an image), and then edit it so it just has the image you want.  A less easy way is to follow the HTML to locate the source of the image and then download it directly, which is more tech-y, but still pretty easy.

The general rule of the Internet really is this:  If you don't want the whole world to be reading it or looking at it forever and ever, don't post it!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina.  Appreciate the help
    No worries at all, happy to help.  I’ll take the screen grab I posted above down as well.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina that’s the same photo I posted on here so no worries.  

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    You might want to make a watermark as well to protect your/her images from being taken and used by others. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Somewhat of a tangent to this, but I am continually astonished by the number of people with Facebook accounts whose privacy settings are set somewhere close to zero.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited December 2018
    Options

I agree with @JohnInCarolina that not using her real name is about the best you can do to provide some protection.
    However, when you state "... I do not want people being able to take her image." do keep in mind that whenever someone posts a pix that can be viewed by others on their phone/tablet/pc, whoever is viewing it can copy/paste/forward that image to anyone else regardless of whatever privacy protections you may have set up. Nothing you can do about that.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ryantt
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina When my wife setup Facebook for me she made it as private as possible.  She set it up because the kids in my youth group were always wanting to communicate over it.  So in the last 12mos ive been tossed into the technology age.   

Funny thing is the only reason I have a smart phone is because of work.   I needed to be able to have my email and a few other things available at my finger tips.  

• ryantt
    Options
    @HeavyG this is true.  I just do not want people taking and using it without permission.  I just don’t understand how the  Interweb works.  Like I said my family all tell me I’m “old” and that works for me.  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ryantt said:
    ... I do not want people being able to take her image...

An easy, non-tech way of doing it is simply to make a screen capture (save the entire screen as an image), and then edit it so it just has the image you want.

Windows, since Windows 7 at least, has a snip tool that lets you capture any part of the screen you want so you don't have to edit.
    NOLA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Not all images are copyable but there is nothing that can prevent one from taking a screenshot of your pic. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can overlay a watermark across the full image. It ruins the picture, though.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    Maybe Raichlen will start stealing her pics... 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It is not clear from your post whether your concern lies in the possible copying of images of your daughter or simply images of her cooks. 

Regardless of the website, don’t post anything that you wouldn’t be comfortable having made publicly-available on the internet. 

I have a lot of experience with respect to data breaches. 
  • ryantt
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations we want to control who can see it and who can access the photos.  I’m not worried about someone using a picture we’ve posted, I just do not want want everyone to have access to comment or chat with her.  If that makes sense.  I just hear horror stories of pervs getting ahold of kids and contacting them and doing God knows what.   Maybe I’ve watched to much of the to catch a predator but it’s a real concern.   

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I feel like the answer is unfortunately: "you can't have it both ways." If you are super concerned about retaining control of your images I would stay off social media. It's part of the bargain these days. I say this as a photographer who had an image stolen from his Flickr feed and used in a Toyota advertising campaign without permission. It did net me $5000 in settlement but only after a group of affected photographers enlisted a copyright attorney. Just my $0.02.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @GrateEggspectations we want to control who can see it and who can access the photos.  I’m not worried about someone using a picture we’ve posted, I just do not want want everyone to have access to comment or chat with her.  If that makes sense.  I just hear horror stories of pervs getting ahold of kids and contacting them and doing God knows what.   Maybe I’ve watched to much of the to catch a predator but it’s a real concern.   
    I do not know how old your daughter is, but if the ability for others to communicate with your daughter is your concern, then I would simply ensure you maintain control of any accounts (i.e., do not provide her with the credentials). You could always use this an an opportunity to teach her responsible use of social media. This being said, assume that anything and everything you do with the account will end up being publicly-available, despite your privacy settings. It is amazing how many big, we’ll-established companies have confoundingly-bad IT security practices. 

As a a father of a young girl myself, I can fully appreciate your concern. Let’s teach them the awesome and devastating power of the internet at an early age. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I do not know how old your daughter is, but if the ability for others to communicate with your daughter is your concern, then I would simply ensure you maintain control of any accounts (i.e., do not provide her with the credentials). You could always use this an an opportunity to teach her responsible use of social media. This being said, assume that anything and everything you do with the account will end up being publicly-available, despite your privacy settings. It is amazing how many big, we’ll-established companies have confoundingly-bad IT security practices. 

As a a father of a young girl myself, I can fully appreciate your concern. Let’s teach them the awesome and devastating power of the internet at an early age. 
    Couldn’t agree more. Social Media is not going away and you are going to need to be on top of your game as she gets older. This is a great opportunity for you to give her a little opportunity to get her feet wet while learning how all this works yourself. You guys could learn together and that will benefit you both as she grows and pushes for more online freedom. I can tell you from a father of 19 and 23 year old boys, you cannot stop it so you had better get on board and learn to maintain a healthy realatiosnhip to it for both of you. I cannot think of a better or safer way to do it than with food pics and recipes. Very little personal information shared and any strange communication will stick out like a sore thumb. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ryantt
    Options

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    While you’re at it, in the account creation process, do not input real birthdays (if these are in fact requested) and also ensure that you are not reusing passwords across properties. Otherwise, a breach could mean subsequent access to all of your accounts.