Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - a "tool" to have near the kitchen

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Today I was carving our Christmas Egret's Ham and I was using a brand new chef's knife that was a Christmas present from my s-i-l. It wasn't has heavy as my other knives with which I am very comfortable. Wouldn't you know it - I got a nasty cut on my finger. Though I was bleeding badly I wanted to act like it was nothing but it sure was! I went right to my knife drawer for this little wound kit. While it still took some time to stop bleeding and getting bandages on followed by a rubber finger cot it saved me a trip to one of the First Care units.

I highly recommend having one of these inexpensive kits handy!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• My wife also keeps something handy around to stop the bleeding but she takes one everywhere with her in her purse.
  • RRP said:
    Today I was carving our Christmas Egret's Ham and I was using a brand new chef's knife that was a Christmas present from my s-i-l. It wasn't has heavy as my other knives with which I am very comfortable. Wouldn't you know it - I got a nasty cut on my finger. Though I was bleeding badly I wanted to act like it was nothing but it sure was! I went right to my knife drawer for this little wound kit. While it still took some time to stop bleeding and getting bandages on followed by a rubber finger cot it saved me a trip to one of the First Care units.

Hmmm, didn't know this existed. Can you pick this up at CVS or Walgreens?

Thanks
    Greg
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:

Hmmm, didn't know this existed. Can you pick this up at CVS or Walgreens?

Thanks
    Greg
    Yes - I bought 3 of them at Walgreens. I forget the price but they were cheap - but not $.25 LOL!

I have one in our kitchen knife drawer, one in my fishing tackle box and one in my workshop...though for a wound in my workshop I might need a 5 gallon bucket!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    consider this for deeper cuts
    consider this for deeper cuts
    I already have my Rutland belt on hand for those...

• I lopped the tip of my thumb off a few years ago and it bled like a stuck pig (I posted about it on here). Could not get it to stop and my SIL, who is a nurse told me to go get some of this before going to the ER. It worked but holy moly it hurt when I poured that into the wound. I have not felt pain like that as an adult in many, many years, and remember I ripped my bicep tendon clean off last summer. Not even close in the pain department. It went away quickly and it stopped the bleeding after hours of trying so it was well worth it. I keep it in my kit but I am in no hurry to pour that over a wound again.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited December 2018
    These cuts can happen so fast and go deep - especially with the Shuns and other fancy knives we carry on this forum.  I've started cutting everything with a knife glove with a food-safe glove over it.

Amazon has these gloves and they're very inexpensive.

NoCry Cut Resistant Gloves with Grip Dots - High Performance Level 5 Protection Grade. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPTE2H0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HyUiCb4T8ECN8

I have slipped several times and had a knife hit my fingers while wearing these and thankfully I've been spared.  I highly recommend them.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702

I have been using this glove under a prep glove ever since I sliced my finger.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    ^^^^^
    Is there an echo in here??   =)  Great minds think alike!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I know this goes against general advice and practice, but I prefer to keep my knives les than razor sharp. As in sharp enough to cut a tomato, but not sharp enough to perform surgery.

I feel like I have more control this way, and on the odd occasion that the blade slips a bit, I'm not bleeding everywhere and wondering where the closest ER is. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I know this goes against general advice and practice, but I prefer to keep my knives les than razor sharp. As in sharp enough to cut a tomato, but not sharp enough to perform surgery.

I feel like I have more control this way, and on the odd occasion that the blade slips a bit, I'm not bleeding everywhere and wondering where the closest ER is. 
     I feel the opposite, for me when the knife is a bit dull it rolls off a tomato or I have to force it through a cut which makes it more dangerous. Plus if you cut yourself you will never feel it!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I remember a time when I was a little girl.....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:

Agree agree agree.  I think the old wisdom that a sharp knife is safer than a dull one only extends to the point that a dull knife makes you change or force how you cut.  I keep my knives sharp, I have little interest in scalpel sharp.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I only cut myself with scary sharp knives.  Just that little incidental contact....
    No offense meant to any posters here tonight, but the WoundSeal powder I recommended is a real blood saver! I never use one for a minor nick that a bandage would cover.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    We visited some friends in Oregon. The mother was cutting veggies and sliced her finger open. Bleeding quite a bit and refused to go to the ER. She wanted to wrap it up and ignore it. It was bleeding too much for that.

They didn't have much it the way of medical supplies. I finally talked her into cleaning the wound with alcohol and then super gluing it shut. No rubbing alcohol so had to use vodka or something similar. Used some ice to contract the vessels. Took a couple of hands to pinch it shut and glued. It worked to close the wound and stop the bleeding. She agreed if there was any sign of trouble she would go to the doctor. Talked to them later and she never had any problems.

I always have superglue in the tackle box when I go fishing. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.