Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time deep fry turkey

Was planning on doing it for Thanksgiving, didn't happen so now I'm doing it for Christmas day. 

Got the fryer and turkey, 14# I believe. 

Can you guys help me with seasoning and/or injection? What's your fried turkey prep?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I tried Tony Cachere butter injection once and did not care for it. Tasted like theovie theater "butter topping". Blech!

You could try making a compound butter using whatever herbs you like,  then smear it under the skin. Air dry in the fridge overnight, then fry .

You may already be planning this, but put the packaged bird in the fry pot, and fill with water. When the bird is covered, remove it and mark the level of the water left in the pot to get an idea of how much oil you will need. 

Also, if the hose for your fryer isn't steel braided, consider wrapping it in foil.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Never done one, no idea but I would think something simple would be best 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    I found an injection recipe online that I I'm going to try.

Do you guys rub the turkey at all? Does it just get washed away in the oil?
  • Never done one here. Share your results...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I inject with an off the shelf creole butter sauce - not Tony C's.  I add some hot sauce and some Slap Ya Mama seasoning to it.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited December 2018
    I do these every year, about the only meat I think is better fried than cooked on the egg.   I brine for 12 hours, using 1/2 cup table salt per gallon of water.  I put turkey in trash bag with brine, put in small cooler, and surround with ice--keeps from diluting the brine.  Take out and rinse.  Make sure you take all pre packaged insides out of turkey, and the stupid little plastic thermometer too.   I use the Tony C injection that others did not like, and the Tony c rub on outside.  The best DIY fried turkey cooking site I have found is BriansBelly site:  http://briansbelly.com/featured-new/deep-fried-turkey/  His cooking times are very close, I end up going just a little shorter--thermapen in breast at about 150 or a hair over seems about right.  And don't cut the breast like you see in the movies.  Cut the whole breast off each side, and then slice it across the grain--stays moist and everyone gets some skin.   Youtube videos are out there on slicing it right
  • r8rs4lf
    I do these every year, about the only meat I think is better fried than cooked on the egg.   I brine for 12 hours, using 1/2 cup table salt per gallon of water.  I put turkey in trash bag with brine, put in small cooler, and surround with ice--keeps from diluting the brine.  Take out and rinse.  Make sure you take all pre packaged insides out of turkey, and the stupid little plastic thermometer too.   I use the Tony C injection that others did not like, and the Tony c rub on outside.  The best DIY fried turkey cooking site I have found is BriansBelly site:  http://briansbelly.com/featured-new/deep-fried-turkey/  His cooking times are very close, I end up going just a little shorter--thermapen in breast at about 150 or a hair over seems about right.  And don't cut the breast like you see in the movies.  Cut the whole breast off each side, and then slice it across the grain--stays moist and everyone gets some skin.   Youtube videos are out there on slicing it right

Can you tell me what the brine does?
  • Brining adds flavor and moisture retention for the dry white meats--chicken and turkey.  Best explained by Cooks Illustrated as follows:  We find that soaking turkeys (as well as chicken and even pork chops) in a saltwater solution before cooking best protects delicate white meat. Whether we are roasting a turkey or grilling chicken parts, we have consistently found that brining keeps the meat juicier. Brining also gives delicate (and sometimes mushy) poultry a meatier, firmer consistency and seasons the meat down to the bone. (We also find that brining adds moisture to pork and shrimp and improves their texture and flavor when grilled.)

To explain these sensory perceptions, we ran some tests. We started by weighing several 11-pound turkeys after they had been brined for 12 hours and found an average weight gain of almost ¾ pound. Even more impressive, we found that brined birds weighed 6 to 8 ounces more after roasting than a same-sized bird that had not been brined.

Our taste buds were right: Brined birds are juicier.

How does brining work? Brining promotes a change in the structure of the proteins in the muscle. The salt causes protein strands to become denatured, or unwound. This is the same process that occurs when proteins are exposed to heat, acid, or alcohol. When protein strands unwind, they get tangled up with one another, forming a matrix that traps water. Salt is commonly used to give processed meats a better texture. For example, hot dogs made without salt would be limp.

In most cases, we add sugar to the brine. Sugar has little if any effect on the texture of the meat, but it does add flavor and promotes better browning of the skin.

We usually list both kosher and regular table salt in recipes that call for brining. Because of the difference in the size of the crystals, cup for cup, table salt is about twice as concentrated as kosher salt.

• So you will see pre-packaged brine powder for turkeys in the grocery store.  I have never used those.  I have tried a homemade flavored brine before--adding spice, etc per a recipe.  I did not find it really added anything.  I just use saltwater now.  The brine time and salt concentration I gave you is from Cookillustrated.   Don't go saltier or longer timewise, it will screw up your turkey if you do.    And when you inject after brining, try not to puncture the skin unless absolutely necessary (like on the legs).  Go in from the ends under the skin on main bird.  Also, I did not mention earlier.    After brining, rinse well with regular water and pat dry.   I then inject and put in fridge uncovered for an hour or two to air dry before cooking, let the injection soak into the meat, and then take out of fridge one hour before cooking.  
  • Oil at 350*.  Make sure completely thawed and seasoned/injected.  Use hot mit/welding gloves.  Turn off fire when lowering bird into pot.  Light fire again.  Cook 3.5 min/#.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    I inject one side if bird with a Creole butter and other side with something else. You get 2 different tastes out of same cook. What if some don't like Creole flavor. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Oil at 350*.  Make sure completely thawed and seasoned/injected.  Use hot mit/welding gloves.  Turn off fire when lowering bird into pot.  Light fire again.  Cook 3.5 min/#.
    I start higher than 350 because oil temp will drop when putting bird in. It takes some time to recover back to 350.  Have you ever noticed the bird will float to top and roll over when done? 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    1) Make sure the bird is dry
    2) Make sure the bird is dry
    3) It only take minutes to overcook, like two. 
  • I agree with increasing temp right before starting.   About 370 to 375 seems good as putting in turkey drags temp down fast
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Another safety tip : make sure you know how much oil to put in the pot - enough to cover the turkey but not enough to cause an overflow.  If not sure, premeasure with water and mark the pot with permanent marker - my pot has marks for 12, 14 and 16 pounders.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Here are some good how to videos...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXESqkUf2IU
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Here is a recipe given to me by a Cajun friend about 30 years ago.  This produces an awesome skin!!! Probably cooked a hundred turkeys using this exact method.  Good luck.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • r8rs4lf
    Am I checking meat for finished temp?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    2 ounces of garlic juice?  That must take some doing.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Botch said:
    2 ounces of garlic juice?  That must take some doing.  
    It’s store bought - you don’t actually juice a garlic.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited December 2018
    I don't know about that one method that fries at 300 degrees.   Brian's belly site says this on low temp:  "Also, try not to let the temperature drop well below 330º or your bird may start to soak up the oil."    I try to stay right there at 350 range--and go up to about 370/375 right before putting turkey in as it really drags it down hard once you put turkey in.  It will go down to 320 to 330 range once you add the turkey, so you have to jack up the heat back to 350 and then back heat back down when at 350.  I use the Thermoworks dot digital thermometer with built in alarm and long probe to monitor oil temp. And do all this well away from your house--obviously.  ANd make sure turkey is completely thawed and dried off. 
  • r8rs4lf said:
    Am I checking meat for finished temp?
    Yes.  I use the times per pound on Brian Belly site as a guide and then check the temp starting about 5 minutes before time should be up.  I try for about 150 to 155 in center of breast on Thermapen.    His chart on cooking times is pretty good.  You obviously will get some carry over cooking with 350 degree oil.   I am frying two today (one for my sister to take with her to other side of her family)  I will post some pics when done.  
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I have a good buddy who sells cooking oils to restaurant chains.  He says 350 is the optimal frying temp. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Cajun Injector products have always been the winner at our house.  Injector with their Creole Butter and coat with their Cajun Shake and you can't go wrong.

Tip 1.) Always use a fresh not frozen turkey.
          2.) If you put the turkey in the pot and cover with water and then remove the turkey to find where to fill up with oil, keep the oil 1"-2" below where your water line was.  The oil will expand and raise up in the pot as it heats.
          3.) Heat your oil to at least 375 before inserting the turkey because the heat will really come down once the turkey is inserted.
          4.) Take your time and slowly lower the turkey down in to the oil.  Any moisture in that bird is going to splatter and pop, just take your time.

Good luck and happy eating.
  • Injection time.   This won’t hurt a bit.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I laffed when I first saw this, but don't remember if it was posted here or not:

https://www.khq.com/news/can-you-prank-your-mom-the-pound-turkey-challenge/article_04f4def5-6ed5-5351-ae7b-da5a63aaba50.html

Have a Merry Xmas, folks!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• One down and one in the pot.