Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer jerky

Options
Back strap. Marinaded 48 hours in Asian BBQ. Turned out sweet and tangy. Used my Excalibur dehydrator...right under the beer thirty bottle opener.
Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@BobDanger that looks great.  I'm looking at getting into dehydrating (mostly for jerky).

How do you like the Excalibur?  Others look nicer, but the Excalibur has consistently the best reviews, so I'm leaning that way.  A lot of the other ones I've looked at fail to get up to their "advertised" temps.

Phoenix 
  • BobDanger
    Options
    blasting said:

@BobDanger that looks great.  I'm looking at getting into dehydrating (mostly for jerky).

How do you like the Excalibur?  Others look nicer, but the Excalibur has consistently the best reviews, so I'm leaning that way.  A lot of the other ones I've looked at fail to get up to their "advertised" temps.

I have one of the smaller ones (5) tray and keep it in my gazebo with all my other BBQ stuff. I ve had it for 4+ years and have used the heck out of it. I mostly make jerky but have done fruit and veggies.

Its lived outside but covered and still ticking...if I used it more I would probably get one of the cabellas...but no complaints...it works great.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I make all my jerky on the Traeger. Got a batch going in the marinade tonight.

Yours looks great. I never used blackstrap for jerky. I always use the hind quarters.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That plate would be empty by tomorrow morning around here. Looks outstanding 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Back Strap...Jerky, talk about living large.
    Looks fantastic.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BobDanger
    Options
    One of the few bennies of life on the eastern shore. Blue crab, fish and deer...I keep my freezer stocked with fish I catch an 2 deer every winter.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    blasting said:loo

@blasting I have the 80 liter Commercial Cabalas that had negative reviews of " not reaching temp" couple things I discovered , none of the others had temp read outs , so you never even know where those are, and it really depends on how much you load the dehydrator combined with ambient temperatures .....remember it's a dehydrator not an oven...the not coming to temp is a non issue, no dehydrator I have seen goes above 160 as the FDA wants you to bring the meat to temp in an over Prior or Post dehydrate ....Its a " Safety Sham" ....i simply dehydrate 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    One of the few bennies of life on the eastern shore. Blue crab, fish and deer...I keep my freezer stocked with fish I catch an 2 deer every winter.
    Love it up there. You’re right, deer are in no short supply in that area. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Nice looking jerky btw!
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    BobDanger said:
    Love it up there. You’re right, deer are in no short supply in that area. 
    Cept 2 legged dear...not many of those.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    blasting said:loo

@blasting I have the 80 liter Commercial Cabalas that had negative reviews of " not reaching temp" couple things I discovered , none of the others had temp read outs , so you never even know where those are, and it really depends on how much you load the dehydrator combined with ambient temperatures .....remember it's a dehydrator not an oven...the not coming to temp is a non issue, no dehydrator I have seen goes above 160 as the FDA wants you to bring the meat to temp in an over Prior or Post dehydrate ....Its a " Safety Sham" ....i simply dehydrate 

Thank you @lkapigian , I appreciate the info.  When I started looking around, I landed on the exact unit you describe as my first pick.  It's a beast of a unit, and looks good (unlike most others).  You've alleviated my concerns over some of the heating my heating concerns, but I'm not sold I want to spent that much on a dehydrator. 

I'm inclined to get a basic workhorse dehydrator - I'm saving pennies to follow your lead on grinder choice.

Phoenix 
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    That looks great!  I just made my first batch of elk jerky on my traeger. Ill have to try the Asian BBQ
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    That's the best cut in the world to make jerky but I have a hard time doing it since I love it to grill or make deer poppers. That's the kings cut for sure.