Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner Troubles

Options
New Large BGE owner here in AZ. I'm having a very difficult time with the egg. A couple of things so far:

1. I can not seem to get a good fire going without a ton of smoke. Neighbor even called the fire dept on me once after I smoked out the neighborhood! I used BGE starters and BGE charcoal and once the starters go out, smoke just billows out of the egg. Bottom vent and top are wide open.

2. If I do manage to get a fire going, the egg warms up VERY slowly and maxes out at 400 degrees F. Last night after an hour, I couldn't even get to 200 degrees F. I've tried this with the conveggtor in place and without for various recipes. Bottom vent and top are both wide open. I've checked air flow and all holes in the grate and firebox are free of ash and little pieces of coal. I have noticed that the BGE charcoal has mostly small pieces in the bag, but I'm assuming this should be normal. Have 2 bags here and they're both the same as far as coal sizes. 

I had success with my first cook and then troubles ever since. I hope I don't have to clean out old charcoal and start fresh each time. None of the answers here on the forums or videos seem to recommend that. I do stir the old coals and rake out the ash from the bottom vent before I try to re-light.

I'm about ready to give up, return the egg and go back to my Weber Genesis. Any advice would be most welcome! Thanks.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Is there a chance your firebox opening is not lined up with the "Egg Vent Opening" 

open the vent and screen and take a peak
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    What @lkapigian said. 

You also might have a bag of moist lump, happened to me once, I couldn’t figure it out, until someone on this forum mentioned the possibility. Sure enough, I cleaned out the egg and opened a new bag of lump and I was good to go. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sent PM-Check your inbox
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The smoke at startup is due to the starters themselves

Don't shut the lid with those until they have burned completely

They are paraffin and sawdust, and anything less than full flame causes them to smoke

So. Let it flame, bottom vent open, lid open

Biggest problem is when you use a couple of those for a low and slow, because you will have a reflex of shutting the vents when it hits 250 and trying to hold that temp. But if those starters aren't burned off (and two full sized ones won't be), they will go out and smolder forever

Try a half a starter for a small fire. 

I switched long ago to a paper napkin and a LITTLE (not soaking) oil. That burns hot and fast and short. One for a low and slow, two for a hot fire

i actually **** the dome with those bc they burn hot enough

your other issue sounds like you are leaving the top vent on, but open

take it off

i have never heard a case where it was the firebox alignment. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    ^^^what he said^^^

I always leave the lid up for the first 15 minutes or so.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• azgriller
    Options
    OK great. All excellent suggestions that I will try. Thank you for the quick replies!

I think damp lump is probably not the issue as I live in Tucson and it's about as dry as you can get down here. Also on my second bag with the same problem.

Firebox is aligned with opening and all holes seem open. I think the issue is getting a hot enough fire going to burn off the smoke and get the lump burning to raise the overall temp in the egg. I will try other lighting techniques - napkin or MAP torch that was also suggested. Hopefully I will be a happy egghead after that.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to practice controlling temps without any cook planned.  Just go play with settings to learn how the egg responds.  Temp is controlled by the amount of burning lump which is controlled by the amount of airflow through the egg. The first, second, third, and fourth thing to check if having a temp problem is airflow.  Then make sure you have enough lump - fill up the firebox.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Check your inbox.
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    I never leave the lid open, different strokes.

OP - how deep are you burying the firestarters?

How much lump do you have in your egg?

You say it takes a long time to hit temp, how long are we talking about? 5 minutes "long" or 2 hours "long"? It probably takes me a good 30-45 mins for me to hit 400F (might be the lack of leaving the lid open) without the conveggtor.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Maybe A different brand of lump? I use Rockwood exclusively. I also use an electric lighter called a Looftlighter but there are weed burner fans out there. The paper towel and veggie oil method is a quick alternative.
  • azgriller
    Options
    When I say long, I mean an hour or more. Last night could not get above 200 for over an hour. I think I had too little lump in there that was also a problem.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i use this, yes the owner is a buddy of mine now but it works great and i recommend them to everyone.

https://www.amazon.com/JJGeorge-Grill-Torch-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B076HSB7MM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545340733&sr=8-1&keywords=jjgeorge

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    azgriller said:
    When I say long, I mean an hour or more. Last night could not get above 200 for over an hour. I think I had too little lump in there that was also a problem.
    Make sure you are filled to the top of the fire bowl/bottom of fire ring. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    You will get a lot of great advice from these folks. Welcome to the madness and enjoy the ride. Also, get to posting some pictures and recipes if you have them.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I use the Firestarter cubes, too. One for L&S, two for higher temps. I light the cube, making sure that it's actually lit with a good flame. Then I put it in a pocket of lump with additional lump bridging the pocket but not touching the cube. I leave the bottom vent wide open and the lid up. Leave it like that until the flame is out and the coals are red. Put the lid down now for L&S or leave it up if you want to get hotter.  I've forgotten about the lid and when I finally put it down, it was 600*.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • azgriller
    azgriller Posts: 4
    edited December 2018
    Options
    OK got the mapp torch but it still goes out when you turn it on its side or upside down to get into the firebox. Suggestions?
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    azgriller said:
    OK got the mapp torch but it still goes out when you turn it on its side or upside down to get into the firebox. Suggestions?
    the link i sent fixes that problem.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    $20 at Harbor Freight. Game changer. Seriously 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    jabam said:
    What @lkapigian said. 

You also might have a bag of moist lump, 
    In Arizona? Yanking your chain....Happy Holliday’s to the west coast.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jstroke
    Options
    azgriller said:

with the yellow mapgas?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Fill up the firebox.......have the level at least halfway up the fire ring.

Torch is a good way to start, but dont waste your money on the yellow bottles.  MAPP hasn't been produced in over 10 yrs.  The stuff in there now is MAP Pro which is only 50F hotter than propane.  It's a friggin scam.

With a torch and a hair dryer, you can be at 1000F in under 5 minutes.  Even with nothing but a fire starter stick, there's no reason it should be more than 20 minutes to get to 400F.  

• 18wheelinman
    Options
    I use one of these. 
  • steel_egg
    Options
    azgriller said:
    Is there a ton of ash at the bottom blocking airflow?  I try and clean out before every use. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Hang in there. buddy!  Don't give up, you have come to the right place for guidance, there are mannnnyyyyyy experts here to help you out.

A few things to check:
    1-Is the firebox properly aligned with the lower vent opening?  I strongly suspect this is your problem and causing you to stay at low temps after an hour......or, your vent settings are too choked off.
    2-At a minimum, you should have lump at least to where the firebox and fire ring join....long cooks, most of us go much higher than that, until right below the platesetter
    3-Ensure that the small pieces of lump are not plugging up the air holes in the firebox....This is where a Kick Ash Basket will help you tremendously
    4-Use a good quality lump, everyone here is partial to their brand, myself, after 18yrs of egging, I like Rockwood....enough said.  Bigger lump at the bottom of the pile and smaller pieces on top.  RajunCajun likes BIG lump!!!
    5-Choose a method to light your fire that you are comfortable with.  I have tried them all and prefer the Looftlighter.  I nestle it in the center and light one spot and move on.  That works for me, find what works for you.
    6-Determine your target temp (low or higher, 220 or 350-400.  Your vent settings WILL be different for these two temps.  Every egg varies, or so it seems.

Please don't give up, you will miss out on a lot of good stuff.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I use a propane torch to light the center of my lump pile. I hate the wax starters. I open the bottom vent all the way and take the top vent completely off for 15 minutes or so in order to get the lump burning well. Then I drop the daisy wheel on and open it fully. once the temp climbs to about 300 the smoke clears from white to transparent blue. Then I throttle the burn back using the two air vents. The lump pile burns like a candle after that. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Hang in there. buddy!  Don't give up, you have come to the right place for guidance, there are mannnnyyyyyy experts here to help you out.

A few things to check:
    1-Is the firebox properly aligned with the lower vent opening?  I strongly suspect this is your problem and causing you to stay at low temps after an hour......or, your vent settings are too choked off.
    2-At a minimum, you should have lump at least to where the firebox and fire ring join....long cooks, most of us go much higher than that, until right below the platesetter
    3-Ensure that the small pieces of lump are not plugging up the air holes in the firebox....This is where a Kick Ash Basket will help you tremendously
    4-Use a good quality lump, everyone here is partial to their brand, myself, after 18yrs of egging, I like Rockwood....enough said.  Bigger lump at the bottom of the pile and smaller pieces on top.  RajunCajun likes BIG lump!!!
    5-Choose a method to light your fire that you are comfortable with.  I have tried them all and prefer the Looftlighter.  I nestle it in the center and light one spot and move on.  That works for me, find what works for you.
    6-Determine your target temp (low or higher, 220 or 350-400.  Your vent settings WILL be different for these two temps.  Every egg varies, or so it seems.

Please don't give up, you will miss out on a lot of good stuff.

I will add one more thing, be consistent in your approach.  Being consistent in how you load your lump, light  your fire, etc, will ensure repeatable results.  Once you find "the trick", stick with it and you will achieve success every single time.  I have many friends that offered to sell me their BGE  after a few attempts...they are all experts now and have taught me a thing or two.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Sent PM
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Why so many PMs? What’s the Buffalo banning now?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Why so many PMs? What’s the Buffalo banning now?
    Yeah. If the PMs work then post them here so everyone can lear from them.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• steel_egg
    Options
    Just a guess but I’m thinking they are giving out their phone numbers if this person wants to talk directly. Again, just a guess.