Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese on

My first time trying this...

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    ^^^^^like^^^^^^^ Still waiting to do this
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I'm a little worried because I put it on then had to go to work.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    If you,are using the AMAZN and only loaded a few hours worth I would not worry...a full,load on mine will go 8 to 9 hours which could be to much 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Full load burning from both ends...you think that too much. gonna check it at 4 hours. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i am hoping santa comes through with one of these so i can start trying this.  i moved it to to the top of my list.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    I've never light both ends but that would probably be about 4 hours....even in my smokehouse 1 end is way more smoke than I need 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BobDanger said:
    Full load burning from both ends...you think that too much. gonna check it at 4 hours. 
    I do soft cheese about 2 1/2 hrs and hard cheese 3 to 3 1/2. 
  • can you over smoke cheese?
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    BobDanger said:
    can you over smoke cheese?
    I would think that would vary by the person's taste--Seems what I have read the range is 2-4 hours...............But I also see people cold smoke bacon for just a couple hours where I like 8-12...........And I don't like my BBQ to smokey , but bacon Cheese Rubs ETC I do
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    I've done 30 or 40 lbs of smoked cheeses so far. After I pull them, I wipe them off and leave them on a counter to cool before packaging...I give them another wipe down as necessary before vac sealing...last thing I want is damp cheese.... try a piece also, if its a bit strong on the smoke you can rest it in the fridge and that smoke flavor will mello out over the course of a couple days. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Here’s what’s left after 4.75 hours. I lit it at both ends. This was a great purchase...thanks to all.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    ^^^^^Thats about right, Try lighting just one end next time
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    BobDanger said:
    I’m gonna go broke before this is all over...
    Look at how much money you saved smoking this cheese yourself.lol
    If you sample it now, it will no doubt taste strong.
    It needs to mellow after you vac seal for several days before you eat it.IMO
    Will be even better after a couple weeks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

For cheese, I've settled on one row of pellets blocked in with a foil ball.  This is about 3 1/2 hours.  I like smoke, and this seems about right for my taste.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg said:
    BobDanger said:
    I’m gonna go broke before this is all over...
    Look at how much money you saved smoking this cheese yourself.lol
    If you sample it now, it will no doubt taste strong.
    It needs to mellow after you vac seal for several days before you eat it.IMO
    Will be even better after a couple weeks.
    Yea...love learned enough here so far...it’s in the fridge till Xmas. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Did you use pellets or sawdust/shavings?
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • I used pellets. I was concerned that they would go out..I had to go to work so, I lit both sides. 

Wooked great for unattended. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Some things to consider next time from my experience.
    1. smoke it indirect for less melt on the cheese. 
    2. Putting the cheese right on grate tends to mold faster. I put foil over the grate and slice holes in it between the bars . 

Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Bob, what species of wood did you use for the smoke ?
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    etherdome said:
    Some things to consider next time from my experience.
    2. Putting the cheese right on grate tends to mold faster. I put foil over the grate and slice holes in it between the bars . 

Try dedicated pizza screens.  Interesting point you made about mold.  I just didn't like dirty grill marks on cheese i give away.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    blasting said:
    etherdome said:

Try dedicated pizza screens.  Interesting point you made about mold.  I just didn't like dirty grill marks on cheese i give away.

I also use pizza screens - easier to clean than my nasty grill grates. :)
    I never noticed any mold problems when I used to put cheese directly on the grill grates.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    very nice - I gotta get mine out and cold smoke Almonds asap.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Bob, what species of wood did you use for the smoke ?

I used apple wood pellets
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • HeavyG said:
    blasting said:
    etherdome said:

I also use pizza screens - easier to clean than my nasty grill grates. :)
    I never noticed any mold problems when I used to put cheese directly on the grill grates.

Yea, I plan to next time. I bought a cheep baking cooling screen when I bought the cheese, it was a little too large when I tried to fit it in the egg. So I wiped down the grate but the oil from the cheese cleans better.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • It’s not a major and immediate mold problem but I have noticed that it tends to come on sooner when I’ve smoked the cheese on the  grill grate. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I did mine this past Fall. Havarti, Gouda, Sharp Cheddar and white cheddar.  I went 4 hours, but I think 2.5-3 would have suited my tastes better.  For my family of four, that amount of cheese was plenty.  The amount you have on would feed us three times over! 

I don’t know that there is a sweet spot regarding smoking time.  If you went with Apple, you’ll probably be able to smoke longer.  Hickory might shorten that a bit.  On top of all of that, mellowing time and personal preference are additional factors. Just another opportunity to tinker!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Just did my second batch. Ran 3 hours this time. Everything worked out great and finished by vacuum sealing and placed in the fridge.

one note to those using this tray is it will raise the temp of your egg by as much as 25*.

egg and outside temp when starting 62* after 3 hours internal egg temp reached 87*. Had bottom vent open and top off.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    I bought these pellets on Amazon...burned great, gotta wait a couple weeks to see taste.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max