Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aging beef

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,204
i picked up a nice boneless ribeye roast at Costco yesterday. I’ll be roasting it on the Egg Christmas Day. I had a mind to just keep it in the fridge and “age” it. Any thoughts?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Are you planning on wet aging or dry? For dry I think the usual school of thought is 28 days at a minimum for a noticble change.  But I don’t think it would hurt anything to try. I put mine on a wire rack over a sheet pan. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Teefus said:
    i picked up a nice boneless ribeye roast at Costco yesterday. I’ll be roasting it on the Egg Christmas Day. I had a mind to just keep it in the fridge and “age” it. Any thoughts?
    You won’t get much additional flavor out of aging it for only 16 days.  But it also won’t hurt it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Age it.....
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Teefus said:
    I think as others have said you’re too close to game day at this point. 

I would fake it using a dry brine at this point when you’re four days out https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-your-steak-even-tastier-use-the-dry-brining-method/
  • Can't hurt, might help 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    You won’t get a great difference in flavor but you will get a difference in texture quickly. 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I'd salt it and put on a wire rack over a sheet pan, as @Wolfpack said. I do this for thick steaks. I think there will be improvement, just not Peter Luger type aged beef.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    I let the last hunk o beef (whole angus tenderloin) wet age for a few weeks before I trimmed it and made a roast out of part of it. Came out great as usual. I don't have it often enough to really remember if there's much of a difference. But, it's always damned good.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    I'd still dry it.  It won't really gain much aged flavor, but you will lose water, which literally condenses whatever flavor is there to begin with, and the surface will brown nicely when you roast it.
  • Teefus
    Thanks for the input. It stays out of the freezer. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Good call on no freezer.  Last year mine dryed in the fridge for 12days.  Not dry aged by any means but the roast developed a great crust by only cooking at 250 indirect and no final sear.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Teefus
    When dry aging in the fridge, do you folks apply any rub? To you cover or tent the meat? Or is it just on a rack over a tray naked to the world?
  • Teefus said:
    When dry aging in the fridge, do you folks apply any rub? To you cover or tent the meat? Or is it just on a rack over a tray naked to the world?
    I didn't use any rub.  Just a rack over a tray
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    +1 for opening and drying on a rack for a great crust. Just a heads up: at this point, the outside will dry enough that getting a dry rub the day of the cook will be very difficult.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • st¡ke
    Sea2Ski said:
    +1 for opening and drying on a rack for a great crust. Just a heads up: at this point, the outside will dry enough that getting a dry rub the day of the cook will be very difficult.
    Just rub with light coat of veg or olive oil, and season

The seasoning sticks to the oil

• Wolfpack
    Like the day you were born- naked

oil will interfere with the drying process

Greensboro, NC
  • st¡ke
    edited December 2018

the oil goes on just before you roast it 

Not while aging

Thought that was obvious. I wasn't clear. Apologies 
  • Wolfpack
    Sorry, like high school I only read the first part of the post and made an assumption- my bad
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    st¡ke said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Just rub with light coat of veg or olive oil, and season

The seasoning sticks to the oil

That makes total sense. I can only remember dry aging a roast for a prime rib once. Ended up making a tapenade for it and that was really good. Usually just dry it a few days for a rib roast. Most longer dry-aged roasts get cut into steaks.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Wolfpack said:
    Sorry, like high school I only read the first part of the post and made an assumption- my bad

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.