Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife Sharpening

Options
2»

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Now that’s a sharpener, I have a small belt grinder with about 8 different belts down to leather and blue felt with compounds. I do non specialty knives on it. All the ones I show off I use WE and the ones that do major work get the belts.

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I was cutting up an onion for hash browns, and did a similar job on a fingertip. I looked for it, in vain. I guess it got fried with the potatoes and onions. Oh, well....   I was the only one eating breakfast that morning so I didn't worry about it.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    If I need to make a knife surgical sharp (Japanese Chef Knife), I put on belt sander with a 1200 blue belt, then hand home on a King 1000/6000 water stone.  Nasty sharp!!
  • tz666
    Options

Here is a Spyderco Tenacious that I sharpened and I added a sharpening choil to the back of the blade.

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I use a Ken Onion Work Sharp blade sharpener...  It is a fantastic tool and keeps all my blades like a razor!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    When my knives get dull I just throw them out and make a new one. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • tz666
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf221x8_79w

Picked up a Spyderco chefs knife, put a wicked edge on it

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    That video gives me the shivers.  I don’t think I even want to be in the same room as that knife.

nice job.
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    trizor xv.  easy to use.  recommended top pick by cooks illustrated...reasonably priced
    On sale here, 20% off, free shipping and no tax. I am going to try it.
    https://www.cutleryandmore.com/chefs-choice/model-15xv-electric-knife-sharpener-p135519
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    trizor xv.  easy to use.  recommended top pick by cooks illustrated...reasonably priced
    https://www.cutleryandmore.com/chefs-choice/model-15xv-electric-knife-sharpener-p135519
    Is this a sharpener you’d recommend for a novice that just wants to sharpen kitchen knives and pocket knives? 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    newby84 said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Is this a sharpener you’d recommend for a novice that just wants to sharpen kitchen knives and pocket knives? 
    I will find out after I use it. I ordered it just for this reason. There are a bunch of vids on YouTube showing using this with very positive results. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Tz666, I have the stones that came with it, assume ceramic, 100 up to 1000. I will buy the 1500 and stropping straps as well as the angle cube. Do you recommend wicked sharp. I've seen others have had a different recommendation. I appreciate the answers. Thanks. 
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Still waiting on my ken onion knife sharpener to arrive...been delayed twice for some reason.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I got my Ken Onion last Tuesday or Wednesday and have sharpened every knife in the kitchen, It is a nice piece of  gear, does a good job with little effort.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Still waiting on my ken onion knife sharpener to arrive...been delayed twice for some reason.
    Heck mine showed up the next day...already Cut myself twice
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I have that unit.. it is AWESOME!!!
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    newby84 said:
    Woodchunk said:
    It came this am. I tried it out on two old Chicago knives, one had a bad place on the blade. It worked great and both knives will cut paper now. I want to practice more before trying one of our good knives. I think it will be perfect for us. This sharpener is only for 15 degrees, they have others that will do 15 and 20. 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I have that unit.. it is AWESOME!!!
    Thanks for the feedback. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I was confused for awhile here.  I have the Trizor xv, got it a couple years ago, and it converts any 20º to the Japanese 15º, yet some of the videos I watched stated that wheel 1 ground to 15º, wheel 2 ground to 20º, and wheel 3 did the stropping/honing.  
    Turns out there's a Trizor Model 1520, which indeed has one wheel at 15 and one at 20, and the Trizor Model XV (mine) which has all at 15º (#1 is a course grit, #2 is a much finer grit, and #3 is the stropping/honing wheel).  
    Then the link above mentions a "Model 15xv", no wonder I was confused!  

I've modded all my knives (Henckel's 4-Star) to the 15º angle, except my larger, heavier chef's knife.  I use that just for hacking thru chicken bones and bisecting squash, two things I do very seldom and I've been able to restore the edge just with my sharpening steel, if it ever needs to be resharpened I'll take it to a knife shop and keep the 20º angle, which is tougher.  

Okay, and here's a quiz question for you guys.  A sharpening steel isn't supposed to "sharpen" at all, but rather to realign (bend) the edge back so it sticks straight out.  I use a sharpening steel in my woodshop a lot too, for the same purpose; however, every "woodworking" steel I've seen is highly-polished steel, while every "kitchen" steel I've seen has diamond or carbide particles embedded in it (so I assume it does sharpen/remove metal, at least a bit).  Anyone know, why the difference?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My oldest kitchen steel was just that, steel only. It was used on an remarkable blade from Sabatier/Hoffritz. The "hone" was about 62 HRC, the blade about 58. When I got serious about sharpening it, I found that despite continuous honing over the years, the edge was so badly rolled, it needed to be sharpened away.

When I started buying newer knives, all of those had carbides in the steel, and the hones needed to be hard enough to reduce the size of the carbides, or push them out of the steel matrix.

The only woodworking tools I have whose steel I know have O2, which does not have carbides. Typically, those needed real sharpening. But to maintain the edge, I just used a strop w. jewelers rouge.

My surmise is that as kitchen knives have improved, the hones for them have too. Woodworking tools, usually having a much thicker bevel, don't need to be touched up so much as really re-sharpened.

Also, if one is fixing up a scraper, one wants to bring the roll back, which is what is smoothing the scraped surface. So a plain steel makes more sense that one that would remove metal.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    So I have a Shun question, for those of you who one them, have you ever sent them in for sharpening? If so, how often do you do this? Turn around time? I have some nice Wusthof but thinking about upgrading and I wouldn't trust myself sharpening something that nice. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So I have a Shun question, for those of you who one them, have you ever sent them in for sharpening? If so, how often do you do this? Turn around time? I have some nice Wusthof but thinking about upgrading and I wouldn't trust myself sharpening something that nice. 
    I have 4 shun knives and I use the work sharp on all of them. It does change the edge. shuns have a 17.5” chisel edge from the factory; The work sharp puts a convex edge on them. I like it but it’s not the edge put on at the factory. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    Good to know, I have the same Chef Choice model, I do like it but it seems like my knives go dull quick, and no, no dishwasher :)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Good to know, I have the same Chef Choice model, I do like it but it seems like my knives go dull quick, and no, no dishwasher :)
    Until recently, most Euro blades were relatively soft. Going dull was pretty standard, hence, steeling them after use. Ironically, if made sharper, they went dull even faster. The old Sabatier/Hoffritz I mentioned was exceptional because Hofftriz eventually specialized in tool steels. The blade I have holds a  fine edge, but the down-side it is rather brittle, and prone to chipping.

Many of the Shun's now use "super steels." What was for awhile a standard, VG-10, is easily twice as good as older steels. I have a couple knives now with R2 cores, similar to Shun's SG2. Really spectacular for keeness and edge retention. Downside, a major PITA to sharpen.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Thanks, @gdenby, that makes sense!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Just finished sharpening some of my knives with the Ken onion work sharp- wow! 

Very quick and easy and knives are razor sharp now. 

Thanks to whoever posted the amazon deal

Greensboro, NC
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if your steel has diamond embedded, it's a big no no.