Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I either need a new base, or need to sell my Egg

Options
Howdy there folks, been a while since I've been on the forum.  Quick & dirty back story:

I bought a house 3yrs ago, it came with a well used Large BGE.  The table it's in is built into the deck, which is why they included it with the house.  Obviously, no warranty for me since I'm not the original owner.  The firebox was cracked and eventually crumbled, I bought a new one.  Fire ring cracked into two pieces but is still usable so I didn't get around to replacing it.  When the bands went out of adjustment, and I spun it around get better access to the bolts, I noticed that the base was cracked.  Crack starts about a foot up on one side, goes down, across the bottom, and about a foot up the other side.

Haven't really used it since then.  Bought a kettle and a WSM, sold the WSM and built up an drum smoker (which I need to finish actually, it just needs final assembly and seasoning and it's ready to rock).

Soooo....I need to do something with the Egg.  Either get a new un-cracked base for it, or get rid of it.  I'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of it though, because as I said, the table is built into the deck.  We are going to re-hab the deck at some point, but it's not an immediate project, and it would look weird with an empty table out there.

Anyone in or around GA (I'm in central GA and willing to drive a bit to pick it up) have a non-cracked Large base they want to get rid of for a fair price?  I'm not buying a new one, last I saw the price was north of $500.  I really like the Egg, but it aint magic, I've got great food coming off the Webers too.

Some pics, cause every thread needs pics.

Last night's dinner.  Lamb shoulder blade chop, potatoes, and asparagus.

Another recent cook.  Petite tender, roasted sweet potatoes, steamed veggies.

Tri tip cooked up for a family cookout.

Some homemade sourdough to take to a Thanksgiving get together

Dustin - Macon, GA
Southern Wheelworks 

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Fix it up, looks like you have good skills on it 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    edited December 2018
    Options
    ^^All that stuff was cooked on the Weber kettle actually haha.  Well, not the bread, that was cooked in the oven.  I'd like to get the Egg working again...but I don't need it, which is why I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.

These beef ribs were one of the last things I cooked on the Egg before finding the crack.

Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Try calling and explaining the situation to the customer service folks at BGE Headquarters. Maybe they'll be sympathetic. Worst they can say is no. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking grub! Any chance of getting in touch with the previous owners to see if they can assist in handling a warranty claim with a dealer? Do you know if they are still in the area?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I'm pretty sure any part that you buy new then has the warranty.  So you got that going for you.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    May be worth it to try patching the crack with JBWeld or refractory cement. First (slowly) drill a small hole where the cracks end on both sides, to keep them from spreading further. And of course, fill the holes with JBWeld too. 

Those are  some mighty fine lookin’ eats :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    If you entertain, fill it with ice and Behold! the best bad-ass'd beer bin on the block!  (and if the crack completely lets go, you'll have ice on your deck instead of a house fire).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Great looking grub! Any chance of getting in touch with the previous owners to see if they can assist in handling a warranty claim with a dealer? Do you know if they are still in the area?
    Well....probably not.  I've contacted them (a husband and wife duo) a few times with questions about stuff around the house, and they were happy to get back with me and answer the questions.  But my wife is a nurse practitioner, and she did a drug test on the wife who was applying for a job to work for a church or some non-profit, and...she failed, and the next time I called with questions they didn't return my call.

I'll call BGE HQ and see what they say.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:
    If you entertain, fill it with ice and Behold! the best bad-ass'd beer bin on the block!  (and if the crack completely lets go, you'll have ice on your deck instead of a house fire).  
    Or, plant some herbs in it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Depends I suppose on the crack. I’ve had a crack just as you described in my medium for at least 5 years. I even moved it that way to the new house.  BGE has already given me a new base which is in my garage, but I’m getting all I can in the meantime out of this one. So if it were me I wouldn’t worry, reach out to BGE and see what they say and keep on trucking. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Growing herb in Georgia isn't legal yet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Nothing's illegal until you get caught.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GATraveller
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Living proof of that!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Living proof of that!
    It's still illegal. You don't get in trouble if you don't get caught. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    In some cases you don't get in trouble even when caught.

It is Friday you know.
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt  best comment award
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    You want a base for nothing, but at what price point would you sell your stuff?  Used, no warranty, etc.??
    Arlington, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited December 2018
    Options
    DFW said:
    You want a base for nothing, but at what price point would you sell your stuff?  Used, no warranty, etc.??
    He never said he wanted one for free. He did say he’s willing to pay for a “new” base. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Who’s going to buy a half broken egg?!  You’ll need to buy the bottom to sell it, and when you do, you should keep it and just use it.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BobDanger
    Options
    I’m willing to throw down $50 for it broke...
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max