Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Portland, OR recommendations - OT

looking to the BGE community for restaurants and can't miss stuff in and near Portland. Plan to do a day trip to the coast and a couple of days worth of wineries. Looking for coastal must does and restaurants and Portland must does and restaurants. Everything from burgers and BBQ to fine dining. Hotels are set. Allison inn and the kimpton. Thanks in advance. 
Large

Houston,TX

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2018
    Family friend of ours opened, what has turned into, several biscuit places in Portland. I’ve been several times and they are really good. Give it a try- Pine State Biscuits

lots of great food trucks/shacks downtown that are worth a lunch visit. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Voodoo Doughnut.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    We've visited out kids and grandkids there a couple of times. Spectacular food everywhere. 7 James beard award winning chefs. A lady visiting out house yesterday mentioned that she had attended a conference there, and in just a few days, had gained 10 pounds.

While there are loads of really good big name places, like Le Pigeon and OX, there are little hole in the wall places, or just food carts that made some of the very best stuff I've ever had.

Of the 2 higher end restaurants we visited, Andina, which is Andean fusion cooking, and Higgins Restaurant, where I had my 1st fresh octopus dinner. It had been brought in from Tilamook bay just 2 hours earlier. Also managed to score a bottle of Hair of the Dog's "Putin" Russian Imperial, 12% ABV.

As to be expected, the top end places can be hard to get into.

Portland is often called the best place for Thai in the US. But what may be the best Thai, Langsbaan, is so small that it can take weeks to get into. Pok Pok has 2 locations, but seems to be getting too popular, and the wait times for service can be unpleasant.

My DIL has quite a sweet tooth. We visited Pix Patisserie/Bar Vivant. Really good tapas, but the desserts were nearly lethal. She also brought home donuts from Blue Star. Maple Bacon donut breakfast is really nice.

The food cart pods often have remarkable stuff. On cart that moved up to a sit down cafe is called "Lardo." Some of the best sandwiches I've had.

As it happens, my DIL is vegetarian, and Portland supposedly has some of the best of that. But the family rule is that anyplace they dine has to have a significant offering in either the veg or meat category. Turns out there are lots of those.

Etc, etc.

Didn't visit any wineries, but if you like beer, the place is sometimes called "Brewtopia," or "Beervana." Visited a store that had 1200 varieties on hand, along w. about 75 kinds of mead. My favorite brewery was "Hair of the Dog." Even the little hole in the wall places I mentioned often have a dozen taps of fine micro-brew.

• Get a reservation to Beast - https://www.beastpdx.com/

It's $125 for a 6 course meal - plus $50 for wine pairings - but its worth it for the experience alone. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • @HoustonEgger thanks for the tip. We did Brunch at beast. It was was fantastic. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • If you have time I highly recommend eating at the Red Robin at the outlet mall in Salem and top it off with the “Halibut” fish n chips and a few Tito’s at Emabssy suites PDX. This was my day today. I am dozing on the couch in my 2000’s era emabssy suites room as we speak. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Here's some excerpts from previous PDX postings I've made:

two places I would put high on the list for an amazing dinner would be Le Pigeon or Tasty N' Sons.  If you can't get a reservation at Le Pigeon, you can generally show up at 5ish and sit at the chef's bar (no res required).  Both places have other places around them for a tasty beer or cocktail beforehand too - Burnside Brewing across from Le Pigeon; HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing across from Tasty N Sons.  Also the Le Pigeon spinoff, Little Bird.  

For beers: I prefer some of the smaller guys on the East side - Migration, Breakside, Burnside, Commons, Gigantic, Ecliptic.  Ecliptic also is also located on the south end of Mississippi St., which is a great place for local eateries and watering holes - Prost! on Mississippi is a great pub with a fantastic food cart pod outside.  Another area I highly recommend is NE Williams St.  Go to Tasty 'N Sons for a meal you will not forget.  It's conveniently located across the street from both HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing (location is called 5th Quadrant).  Both these guys make excellent beers.  If you only have a short time, this is where I would go.  

Other great eateries would be Ox, Toro Bravo (tapas), Beast, Lardo, and Stammtisch (German pub - try the Schweinhaxen).  And if you're still hungry, get some ice cream at Salt and Straw, but it tends to be pretty packed and somewhat touristy.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 

two places I would put high on the list for an amazing dinner would be Le Pigeon or Tasty N' Sons.  If you can't get a reservation at Le Pigeon, you can generally show up at 5ish and sit at the chef's bar (no res required).  Both places have other places around them for a tasty beer or cocktail beforehand too - Burnside Brewing across from Le Pigeon; HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing across from Tasty N Sons.  Also the Le Pigeon spinoff, Little Bird.  

For beers: I prefer some of the smaller guys on the East side - Migration, Breakside, Burnside, Commons, Gigantic, Ecliptic.  Ecliptic also is also located on the south end of Mississippi St., which is a great place for local eateries and watering holes - Prost! on Mississippi is a great pub with a fantastic food cart pod outside.  Another area I highly recommend is NE Williams St.  Go to Tasty 'N Sons for a meal you will not forget.  It's conveniently located across the street from both HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing (location is called 5th Quadrant).  Both these guys make excellent beers.  If you only have a short time, this is where I would go.  

Other great eateries would be Ox, Toro Bravo (tapas), Beast, Lardo, and Stammtisch (German pub - try the Schweinhaxen).  And if you're still hungry, get some ice cream at Salt and Straw, but it tends to be pretty packed and somewhat touristy.
    This sounds so much better than Red Robin and Embassy Suites. Nothing bums me out more than being in a cool town and not being able to get out amongst the people. Just crazy busy this week and that’s the way the dice rolled. Next time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

This sounds so much better than Red Robin and Embassy Suites. Nothing bums me out more than being in a cool town and not being able to get out amongst the people. Just crazy busy this week and that’s the way the dice rolled. Next time. 
    Sorry to hear that CT.  I actually live in Salem, and while it's no PDX, I would have been happy to shoot you a few recommendations that are at least on par with the local Red Robin.   =)
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW