Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Tips...What i learned at Grimali’s

Options
CheeseheadinAZ
CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
After not making pizzas for a long while I’ve now created a demand for pizza at the compound after the success of the last 6 pies. Major difference... I paid attention to the cooks last time I was at Grimaldi’s.

Tip #1 I found out we can purchase their dough!  $4 for 18”. Just go to the bar and ask for it. 

Tip #2 If you do buy the dough from G and had stored the dough in your fridge prior to making, let it sit out for at least an hour. Then apply a little flour to the dough and put it on a board. Using your fingers work the dough to get all of the air out. Then toss/stretch to size.

Tip #3 I purchased a baking screen from amazon to put the dough on.  Works great! 

Tip #4 Grimaldi’s drops mozzarella chunks on first. I bought a block at Costco then sliced as thin as I could.

Tip #5 Grimaldi’s then kind of splashes some sauce sparingly on the pie with a spoon. A lot less sauce then I typically used!!

Then add your toppings and finish with some shredded cheese of your choice. Until I dialed in the pizza, I just made cheese pizzas and focused on the and time for the crust. 

I have an xl egg. Setup was simple. Platesetter legs down, grill then stone. 

Tip#6 before you create the pizza get the egg fired up and stabilize temp. So far I found 500 degrees works well for repeated pies without burning the crust. Lower vent and screen wide open, smokeware cap on once the temp was reached and open all the way. Cooked for about 10 minutes. 

Tip#7. If the top is done and crust still needing more time I used the peel and placed pie directly on the stone (removing the baking screen). But be careful not to leave on too long. I found that you want the pizza to be able to bend a bit when checking under the pie. 

I made six of these this weekend and kept tweeking as I went. I gave up on pizza for a while during the learning curve originally a year or two ago. I’m happy I tried again using Grimaldi’s dough. Now the household is saying why would we ever go out for pizza!  

If you gave up like I did, hope this gives you a little hope and you’ll try again. It’s worth it. And if you have some tips to share please do!

Now time to enjoy the pizza and the game!  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice. it's always fun to learn something and get thumbs up from the harshest critics (the fam)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great looking pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir! :clap:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • geronimo
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    Excellent tips, thank you @CheeseheadinAZ !

Now, regarding the last photo, you either have a fire pit in your living room, or the nicest patio I've seen.  Care to share a couple wider pics?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @Botch per request here’s a pic of the back patio...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Love it. 

Thanks for all the advice.

I totally hosed up pizza, until I started placing it on a thin pan onto the pizza stone, and then removed the stone once the toppings were 90% done.  I let it finish cooking directly on the stone.  Haven't hosed one up, since making that slight change.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @Botch per request here’s a pic of the back patio...
    Nice. My bride and I love the Southwest. Outdoor living is pretty tough much of the year in our neck of the woods. When it's not too cold there are often too many bugs.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Looks great!  I just bought some of those screens based on your post here.  Will have to give them a try.  I wonder if they would work well with parchment paper between the dough and screen.  Don't see why they wouldn't I guess. 
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I've yet to give pizza a try on the BGE. My regular old gas oven will cook a 14" pie in 90 seconds so it's hard for me to get motivated. Yours does look great though, even if it did still take 10 minutes =)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options

Tip#6 before you create the pizza get the egg fired up and stabilize temp. So far I found 500 degrees works well for repeated pies without burning the crust. Lower vent and screen wide open, smokeware cap on once the temp was reached and open all the way. Cooked for about 10 minutes. 

Pies look great!  I have to give a word of caution to point #6 though - please don't have the vent and screen wide open.  The screen is there for a reason and opening it up does practically nothing to help with temps.   
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Those pies look great!! Especially the last pic.

I bought a screen years ago. Used it once, never again. Much prefer the crust result when it bakes directly on the stone (or better yet, steel). Been using a wooden peel with a dusting of flour for years. Haven't lost one yet, though I did turn one into a calzone once, long ago.

Sauce tip is the best of the bunch... Less is more for sure when it comes to saucing a pizza.

Not sure how you have top and bottom vents wide open and only reach 500°. I'd be at 900° or more. I would agree with @GoooDawgs about the screen except it appears your egg isn't near any flammable materials. Also, I've never checked, but I'll bet the screen makes more difference than you might think temp-wise.

My 500° pies take about 5 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ckreisl1
    Options
    Looks great! Enjoyed the tips. I might have to consider a baking screen. I've had trouble sliding the dough on the stone with all the toppings. My solution has been to put the dough on naked (w/a little olive oil) for 90 seconds to pre-bake the crust a little. Then I take it off, add the toppings, and let it bake until finished. Kind of a PITA, but it seems to produce good results.
    Washington County, MD

Large & MM, Blackstone Griddles (36" & Tailgater)
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @ckreisl1 just build the pie on parchment paper and transfer them both to the hot stone.  After 2 minutes grab a spatula,  lift a section of the pie up and grab the parchment - it should slide right out.   There are some purist who look down on this method,  but it works great.   Especially helpful when doing multiple pizzas.  Have fun! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • ckreisl1
    Options
    @GoooDawgs thanks! I'll try that next time.
    Washington County, MD

Large & MM, Blackstone Griddles (36" & Tailgater)