Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post in a long time. State of Maine Biscuits

Options
Been a minute or two since I posted. Here’s a little breakfast. These biscuits are an old family tradition and the Bakewell Cream is from Maine. I have never found it anywhere else other than the web.

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looking good. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My kinda day starter!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Love me some biscuits :) Recipe, please?

I kick myself self now that I realize how quickly biscuits come together. All those years without hot, fresh biscuits in the morning...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    Wow, @Jstroke that brought back fun memories. My wife and I both grew up in Maine and remember Bakewell Cream well. Thanks for the post 😃
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Google search shows lot of sources for Bakewell Cream. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    caliking said:
    Love me some biscuits :) Recipe, please?

I kick myself self now that I realize how quickly biscuits come together. All those years without hot, fresh biscuits in the morning...
    Cali—the recipe is right on the back of the can. It’s just flour, baking soda, bakewell, salt, butter and milk. The only secret is not adding more milk than you think it needs because you swear it looks dry. Usually just a tablespoon or two will soak up the last bit, and don’t overwork the dough. I just use my floured hand to shape it before cutting out the biscuits. Then bake at 475–5 minutes. Shut off the oven. Let it sit another ten minutes and pull them out when lightly browned. Have fun.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes sir!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jstroke
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Google search shows lot of sources for Bakewell Cream. 
    I am not sure, I buy it when I’m home by the case as it’s made about an hour from Mom’s. I have looked from time to time in groceries other places, but have never seen it in a store outside of Maine.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Jstroke
    It looks mighty fine brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Your bake looks very tasty. I’ve never used a Bakewell just ordered from KA. Looking forward to trying it out. 
    IL 
  • SGH
    Options
    I had never heard of the Bakewell Cream until you posted it. However after a little googling, it’s sold here at Walmart. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jstroke
    Options
    SGH said:
    I had never heard of the Bakewell Cream until you posted it. However after a little googling, it’s sold here at Walmart. 
    That’s amazing. I should look around then. Thanks
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    This was a good read about biscuits and why Northerners just can't make them properly. My Mom used to use Lily White flour. I've never heard of Bakewell Cream before.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jstroke
    Options
    It looks to me like we have the makings for a throwdown. So here is my plan I will post a new Biscuit challenge thread. I will take suggestions for “southern” style biscuit recipes and buy some White Lilly flour. If anyone wants to on their end they can try the Bakewell cream and put it up against the southern recipe of their choice. I’ll be honest and tell you if yours is better. I have never tried White Lilly Flour and as such have had poor luck making buttermilk biscuits. Any takers?
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I find the northern biscuits a bit dry. The wife’s a maritimer and she has learned to make the good ones. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Been a minute or two since I posted. Here’s a little breakfast. These biscuits are an old family tradition and the Bakewell Cream is from Maine. I have never found it anywhere else other than the web.

We order Bakewell Cream from the King Arthur Flour website.  Makes some really good biscuits. 
  • Jstroke
    Options
    I’m glad someone agrees. I havent found a better one, but I’m off to go buy some White Lilly flour to see if I can learn how to make sourthern style biscuits to compare
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    This was a good read about biscuits and why Northerners just can't make them properly. 

My last GF grew up in 'bama, and she made the best biscuits for breakfast!  She wouldn't give me the recipe, and she never measured anything (all by eye) so I never attempted to recreate them.
    I sure do miss that (the biscuits).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Jstroke
    Options
    I’d look her up. A good biscuit recipe is worth a little groveling 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I love the way the can “pops” when you open it!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I’m off to go buy some White Lilly flour 
    If you want to make true southern biscuits (In the Style Of Dixie) try this instead my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I will even text you a couple of different recipes to try when I get back home. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Options
    SGH said:
    I will even text you a couple of different recipes to try when I get back home. 
    You on brother. I’ll get that stuff ordered or found locally and we will get at it.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Jstroke
    For the record, I’m not challenging you to a showdown. Just simply sharing some good recipes that I think you may enjoy. 
    On that note, I’m picking up some of the Blackwell Cream tomorrow and going to give it a try. I haven’t encountered very many biscuits that I didn’t like =)

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Options
    That’s fair. I appreciate it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jstroke
    Options
    thetrim said:

I will have to try those—very interesting thanks
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Long story short.
     Rolled into Bar Harbor late one night thinking we would camp at Acadia. Fat chance.
     Drove to a hotel 1/2 mile from the camp ground “can we just stay the night in your parking lot?”  Wife says no husband says yes, we offer to pay something and he says there is a soup kitchen next door just donate in the morning. 
     The next morning we were introduced to popovers!  Any other popover fans out there? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great topic, but a little sooner and I could've saved $20 on the book.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:

That’s almost the identical recipe that use to come on the Bisquick box. The only difference is it said 7Up instead of club soda. 

Status- Standing by.