Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post in a long time. State of Maine Biscuits

Options
2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    It looks to me like we have the makings for a throwdown. So here is my plan I will post a new Biscuit challenge thread. I will take suggestions for “southern” style biscuit recipes and buy some White Lilly flour. If anyone wants to on their end they can try the Bakewell cream and put it up against the southern recipe of their choice. I’ll be honest and tell you if yours is better. I have never tried White Lilly Flour and as such have had poor luck making buttermilk biscuits. Any takers?
    I'm in! 

For the last several months, there has been a smoldering desire within me to learn how to make great biscuits. The recipe from John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast has worked well, but I feel that the flavor is a tad off, possibly because of how much baking powder and baking soda it calls for. So some tweaking is in order. 

@HeavyG that link makes a good point about the flour used, but it fails to mention that White Lily has baking powder added, to make it "self rising". It also ignores the role of the type of fat, technique etc. And erroneously states that White Lily isn't available in Houston. Its always on the shelves at HEB here. 

I'm going to give biscuits another whirl in the morning. So let's get it on :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SGH said:
    thetrim said:

That’s almost the identical recipe that use to come on the Bisquick box. The only difference is it said 7Up instead of club soda. 
    This card is from a deck of cards all with different Cajun recipes.   I bought it at a place called Cajun Charlie’s in Sulpher, LA.  
    For years, it was my standard for Cajun food.  I’m not sure it was actually that good.  My first stop there was in April or May of 1995 during US Army Ranger school. I was on a bus from Ft Bliss TX heading back to Ft Benning and one of our Trump Level negotiating Ranger Instructions had our busses stop there and talked them down to $10/person charge and told them they wouldn’t need to clean up the lunch buffet if they hosted all 41 of us. Needless to say, it was maybe to this day the best meal I ever had.  
    Unfortunately, Cajun Charlie’s is no longer w us.  

I’ll be happy to post more from that deck of cards. 
    Good stuff in there. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Good stuff in there. 
    Post’em up brother. I would love to see them 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    caliking said:
    Jstroke said:
    It looks to me like we have the makings for a throwdown. So here is my plan I will post a new Biscuit challenge thread. I will take suggestions for “southern” style biscuit recipes and buy some White Lilly flour. If anyone wants to on their end they can try the Bakewell cream and put it up against the southern recipe of their choice. I’ll be honest and tell you if yours is better. I have never tried White Lilly Flour and as such have had poor luck making buttermilk biscuits. Any takers?
    I'm in! 

For the last several months, there has been a smoldering desire within me to learn how to make great biscuits. The recipe from John Currence's Big Bad Breakfast has worked well, but I feel that the flavor is a tad off, possibly because of how much baking powder and baking soda it calls for. So some tweaking is in order. 

@HeavyG that link makes a good point about the flour used, but it fails to mention that White Lily has baking powder added, to make it "self rising". It also ignores the role of the type of fat, technique etc. And erroneously states that White Lily isn't available in Houston. Its always on the shelves at HEB here. 

True, you can make any flour "self-rising" by just adding baking soda but I thought she did point out the main importance of White Lily vis a vis most flour available in the north was the importance of the distinction between soft flour and hard flour.
    No doubt there are other variables besides flour. I always assumed that with my mom it was "all in the wrist" (or some other voodoo) when mixing. I could never get my biscuits as good as hers even using the exact same ingredients and recipe. It pissed me off so much after a while that I just quit trying - I haven't made a biscuit that didn't involve whacking a cardboard tube over the edge of the kitchen counter in 30+ years. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    Jstroke said:
    I'm in! 

True, you can make any flour "self-rising" by just adding baking soda but I thought she did point out the main importance of White Lily vis a vis most flour available in the north was the importance of the distinction between soft flour and hard flour.
    No doubt there are other variables besides flour. I always assumed that with my mom it was "all in the wrist" (or some other voodoo) when mixing. I could never get my biscuits as good as hers even using the exact same ingredients and recipe. It pissed me off so much after a while that I just quit trying - I haven't made a biscuit that didn't involve whacking a cardboard tube over the edge of the kitchen counter in 30+ years. :)

Didn’t mean to sound like I was turning my nose up at that article. The type of flour likely does make a difference, as I saw today. 

Made with White Lily. Didn’t quite get the rise I wanted.  The dough was too wet, probably because soft flour needs less liquid?  

The crumb was nice and soft though. And they tasted great with some homemade peach orange marmalade :)

(and I’ll quit hijacking the OP’s thread now).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Bought some Lilly White today at HEB, DFW....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • thetrim
    edited November 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    thetrim said:
    Good stuff in there. 
    Post’em up brother. I would love to see them 👍

I did a card count last night and after 23+ years I still have every card. 

That is a person record for a deck of cards for me.  

More to follow.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    More to follow.  
    Standing by brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95