Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

please help a german "griller" / BGE the right choice?

CowboyNic
CowboyNic Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in Pre-Sale Questions
Hello guys,
I´m Nic, writing from Germany. I was able to BBQ some very-next-to-perfect steaks with a colleague in Alabama during a short business stay. The BGE are expensive in germany. REALLY EXPENSIVE, we´re talking about double the price (at least).

I have already a big gas grill station (size like a weber genesis) but with not enough BTU/heat DIRECT at the grid, so searing a steak is possible but I will get a too-big grey border... works but could be better. Additionaly I have the weber smokey mountain for l&s jobs.

I was thinking about a BGE MINI for us to make steaks and some smaller items. We´re 2 at home (plus a 15month old daughter). And sometimes I would like to have the "real fire" taste and wood-smoke taste also on the short-term grill jobs.

I would have the chance to buy a BGE Mini in February during a business stay in Atlanta. Each bigger Egg would be to heavy or to big to take it with me as an additional suitcase.

Is the BGE ok for my purpose? Any other comments on this?

What´s the current price for the MINI in Atlanta? Do you know a dealer which is located around Dundwoody, with good prices or so...

Regards & wishes from Germany

Nic

Comments

• 3 days not at least a short "hello".
    Seems the green eggs are the wrong for me. Will check Kamado/Monolith.

• gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110

Guten Tag!

Sorry for the lack of replies. I don't think many realize this sub-forum even exists, you would have gotten a lot of replies in the general forum.

I have a lot of respect for you guys in other countries who purchase BGEs, they are expensive here, CRAZY expensive over there!

Mini is a great choice given your restraints. Lots of videos on Youtube about the possibilities for the creative. Ideally, a larger one would be the best starter egg, but a Mini would let you dip your toes in the water and see if you like it before possibly spending the big bucks on a larger size. I say go for it, I have a Mini (among other sizes) and love it.

Maybe post up in general section for a good dealer recommendation. good luck!

• I cook on a large, minimax and small BGE. The mminimax maybe worth the extra freight. It's easier to manage because the fire is further from the grill and has a bit more surface to cook on. The Minimax also has carrying handles. Maybe an advantage if you plan on traveling with the grill. 
  • If you take a look at Angela Merkel....she has a BGE...so what do you think?? lol Absafrigginlutely!
    Tiocfaidh!
    Support 26+6=1 United Ireland
  • Welcome. BGE is great for high heat and sear, however, I’ve not done a steak, lamb chop or pork chop on the grill in at least a couple of years. Sous vide, is the answer for edge to edge pink with a crust for flavour. Quick cast iron sear then into sous vide bath, pull it, dry it and finish sear just as you serve, no need to rest.  
    Also, I have a Primo, it is just as good as my MBGE  for heat control and offers the ability to easily two zone cook. Have had warranty service under both and both were excellent. 
    For many cooks the WSM is good, but the larger kamados are even better, IMO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I'm guessing the business trip has happened...after all the initial post was Jan 2017!
    Happy American Thanksgiving. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    I'm guessing the business trip has happened...after all the initial post was Jan 2017!
    Happy American Thanksgiving. 
    Yeah I noticed that, but thought maybe news of how to best cook a steak travels slow to the Fatherland.....

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving Day Lou, to you and yours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!