Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fryer for Fried Turkey

Options
2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you don't burn the oil just strain it... Last forever.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Get the Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer Kit from Home Depot or Lowes if available. They are great .. Been frying in them for the past 12 years without any issues. They come with a nice stand to prop up the turkey, lifting hook, thermometer and an injector for injecting butter/spices into the turkey (http://www.lowes.com/pd_18718-95532-3025_0__?productId=3735775)

Remember to dunk the turket like a sissy .. ie. drop it slowly .. then pull it up a little as the oil bubbles, then drop it a little more .. pull it up again etc .. until the oil is settled. Be extremely patient and always use the thermometer that comes with the kit to see the temperature of the oil keeping in mind not to exceed 425 degrees. Stay with the frying pot all the time ... do not allow children near the fryer and do it outside on a level surface. I do it in my back yard on the grass away from everything. I also use my welders gloves when dropping the turkey in the oil and when pulling it out.

I fry 3 very nicely seasoned turkeys around 12 to 14 lbs with the peanut oil I put in and after the first turkey is done, I add a little bit more oil. I typically get the 3 gallon peanut oil from either BJs Wholesale club or from Costco.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Would a bone-in breast dry out? Not fond of dark meat and thinking of frying just a breast.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • LakeSeminoleEgger
    Options
    We have a 6-gallon Cajun Fryer and love it.  Been frying turkeys for many years, since way before there was such a thing as a "turkey fryer".  We use 100% peanut oil and turkeys that are right at 15 lbs.  Inject with Tony C's Creole Butter and fry at 350 for 4 minutes per lb.  Skin is crispy, meat juicy, and family fights over it.  Also fry some canned biscuits while the oil is still hot, yummy!  We reuse the oil over and over for fries, onion rings, etc. and it stays good for months.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This is what I use, timer and thermostat, completely disassembles to make it easy to clean, spigot for draining. I have a recipe that will blow you away if you dare to risk it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    I have fried the turkey for years for my immediate family.  Used to do a traditional baked or smoked turkey in addition to fried when we had additional guests. Now I just fry 2 because the fried always was in higher demand.
     My fryer is an older one without the annoying safety features that cut the fryer off for no reason in the middle of a cook. The electric fryers mentioned work great and are less trouble, however  I can’t abandon the old oil set up as it was a gift and has sentimental value.

@LakeSeminoleEgger how long do you fry the biscuits?
    @YukonRon I will risk your recipe if you will share. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This thread woke up today after a five year nap.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    It was the tryptophan. That stuff will knock you out for a while. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have fried the turkey for years for my immediate family.  Used to do a traditional baked or smoked turkey in addition to fried when we had additional guests. Now I just fry 2 because the fried always was in higher demand.
     My fryer is an older one without the annoying safety features that cut the fryer off for no reason in the middle of a cook. The electric fryers mentioned work great and are less trouble, however  I can’t abandon the old oil set up as it was a gift and has sentimental value.

@SandyHookEgger

What you need:

1 16 oz bottle of Italian Dressing
    1/2 cup of cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup of black pepper
    1 cup of creole seasoning (I use Tony's)
    2 heaping tablespoons of garlic powder

What you do:

First, be careful with cayenne pepper, wear gloves and keep away from your eyes. Do not ask me how I know this.

In a medium bowl, mix about 3/4 or 12 oz of Italian dressing, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Creole seasoning, and garlic powder, pour Italian dressing, a little at a time, until the mix is of similar consistency of used coffee grounds, like a paste. Try not to to get it too thin. Spread paste over entire turkey, then use remaining Italian dressing to fill cavity. Allow to marinate 8 hours, or over night.

Deep fry as desired at your selected time and temp.

The Turkey will come out black, but it will not be burnt, so do not worry, also the pepper cooks into a sugar, so there is very little spiciness in the flavor. Totally not what you expect.

It will be the best fried turkey you will ever taste, and it will be a wow factor to all of your guests. Be sure to get you a plate early, because if you are like me, bringing it in, and then going back out to make sure everything is safe and secure with the fryer, you will return to just the carcass. It has happened almost every time. It is so moist and delicious.

I have made a dozen or so of these, and have been asked to do them for others every year. The blackened skin is unbelievably good. It is the first thing consumed off the bird.

If you do this, and need help or insight, call me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn that sounds good. Leave the paste on for the fry, correct?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What is the best one at keeping temp, safe etc. 
    As far as holding temp, without getting into dedicated commercial units one would be hard pressed to do any better than these:

https://cajunfryer.com/shop/ff6-17-gallon-6-basket-fryer/

I have the 8 and 17 gallon models. Both are simply phenomenal. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SandyHookEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:

@SandyHookEgger

What you need:

1 16 oz bottle of Italian Dressing
    1/2 cup of cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup of black pepper
    1 cup of creole seasoning (I use Tony's)
    2 heaping tablespoons of garlic powder

What you do:

First, be careful with cayenne pepper, wear gloves and keep away from your eyes. Do not ask me how I know this.

In a medium bowl, mix about 3/4 or 12 oz of Italian dressing, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Creole seasoning, and garlic powder, pour Italian dressing, a little at a time, until the mix is of similar consistency of used coffee grounds, like a paste. Try not to to get it too thin. Spread paste over entire turkey, then use remaining Italian dressing to fill cavity. Allow to marinate 8 hours, or over night.

Deep fry as desired at your selected time and temp.

The Turkey will come out black, but it will not be burnt, so do not worry, also the pepper cooks into a sugar, so there is very little spiciness in the flavor. Totally not what you expect.

It will be the best fried turkey you will ever taste, and it will be a wow factor to all of your guests. Be sure to get you a plate early, because if you are like me, bringing it in, and then going back out to make sure everything is safe and secure with the fryer, you will return to just the carcass. It has happened almost every time. It is so moist and delicious.

I have made a dozen or so of these, and have been asked to do them for others every year. The blackened skin is unbelievably good. It is the first thing consumed off the bird.

If you do this, and need help or insight, call me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks @YukonRon and I thought you’d never top church recipe bourbon Slushes. Likely won’t be tomorrow but I will definitely do this soon.