Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd attempt at Brisket

Options
Bought a 12 lb packer from Costco, plan was to do an overnight cook. But after trimming it went down to about 7 lbs (is that normal?), so I ended up getting up around 4 and put the brisket on the egg at 5. Ran 250 with hickory smoke and a coffee rub. Took about 7 hours on the dot, FTC’d til dinner was ready. Paired it with Some Mac n Cheese and Slaw Salad.

Thanks for looking! 

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks great!  Most fun on a BGE.  It looks like you sliced the entire meat the same way.   Next time, slice as you did until you get to the point,  then cut the opposite direction.   The grain in the point runs the opposite direction to the flat,  so cutting against it will make it much more tender.   Great cook though. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Great Bark Great Results, bonus points for the Mac and Cheese
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Outstanding. Maybe my favorite meal. Very well executed. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Great cook and result.  Congrats.
    Regarding your trim weight loss question-5 lb trim on a 12 lb brisket is an outlier for me but "the friggin cow drives the trim" as well.  I have noticed over the past few months that the Costco prime packers have been packaged with a lot of hard fat and excess silver-skin.  Seems their quality has gone down at least up here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great cook and result.  Congrats.
    Regarding your trim weight loss question-5 lb trim on a 12 lb brisket is an outlier for me but "the friggin cow drives the trim" as well.  I have noticed over the past few months that the Costco prime packers have been packaged with a lot of hard fat and excess silver-skin.  Seems their quality has gone down at least up here.  FWIW-
    Thank you! I was kinda shocked to see the end weight, but it turned out really well so can’t complain. Just not as many leftovers as I would’ve hoped 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I would second the CAPT regarding Costco packers.  I have an „n“ of one burning was 17 and I look off about 7lbs and could’ve done another one or two but was working up a sweat and just wanted to get the thing on the egg.  

Looks like you nailed the end result, so good one you!

nice work! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Some might suggest to eat and enjoy it, and then return the wrapper to Costco a few months or years later and ask for a refund. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300