Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for you wine aficionados.... regarding storing wine.

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited November 2018 in Off Topic
I rode by a construction site today where land is being cleared / prepaired for a self storage facility - construction. Now I will be the first to say that Columbia SC is not A trend setting type of city....so I may be getting up to speed here.

Back on task....the construction site sign calls out that it will offer wine storage...which brings me to my questions. Is there really a demand for self storage wine? I am assuming this has hit other larger cities...so just curious here.  I assume it would be conditioned at proper temp and humidity. Do these facilities provide racks? Various size storage options? 

I only have about about a dozen or so bottles on hand.....will there be a 2/2 storage to meet my needs?
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I dunno, I have a few bottles on top of my fridge. Been there for a year or better 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Wines that need to age should be in a cool, not cold, sunlight free area that has little to no movement or vibration. A closet in the basement or under the stairs are good places to store wine.try a wine cooler and adjust thermostat accordingly.
    If there is a lot of construction in the area of this storage site, I would pass.
    If there are internal storage lockers it may be okay.
    You also have no control on the lockers on other sides of you, some folks with small businesses run their offices out of them and run heaters, small fridges and have food in them and don't understand why the have mice/rats & roaches !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Is Columbia getting a Catalina Wine Mixer? 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I only know one man who could possibly need this. You know who you are.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Paging @Jeremiah
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I only know one man who could possibly need this. You know who you are.  
    Yeah....but he has a basement for a cellar. I think he has plenty of room....but also plenty of wine. I question if there is really a demand for this type of space rental. 

• northGAcock
    Options
    Is Columbia getting a Catalina Wine Mixer? 
    I really have no idea what you are asking me.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I know some restaurants will use this as off sight storage, we have several here in Louisville. Large volumes from busy spots really takes up a tremendous amount of floor space, and floor space is for as many tables they can fit in.
    I do not know ANY person who is a serious wine collector, that will do so off sight, due to the variables listed previously.
    For those that have a lot of wine, and no basement, typically they will get a wine fridge of serious size.
    Fortunately, we have both, 60 + fridge, and racks in a no sunlight, constant temp, stable space in the basement, sitting keeping the cork wet.
    The next couple of Holidays will diminish much of our stock, we have folks coming in that are serious oenophiles, and the only thing I have ever seen consume more liquid than these folks is a storm sewer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    YukonRon said:
     and the only thing I have ever seen consume more liquid than these folks is a storm sewer.
    I like these people.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YukonRon said:
     and the only thing I have ever seen consume more liquid than these folks is a storm sewer.
    I like these people.
    Me too, I have to. They are called friends and relatives, THIRSTY friends and relatives.
    :joy:
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Many sources that I have consulted state that most wines that are commercially available to the common folk should be consumed right away. Like barbecuing, wine attracts a lot of lore, so follow your heart and do what makes you happy. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Restaurants and in cities like SF and NYC. People that collect wines like to look at it. 
  • Rum_Runner
    Options
    I would only consider off site storage if you have some high quality wine ($100+) that will improve with age.  If you only have 12 bottles or so, you might want to buy a home wine cooler for a couple hundred dollars.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Wine is easier stored when it is box shaped.

Duh. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Many sources that I have consulted state that most wines that are commercially available to the common folk should be consumed right away. Like barbecuing, wine attracts a lot of lore, so follow your heart and do what makes you happy. 
    Ha, i’m Not a candidate myself. Just curious if there is really a demand for this dirt of thing. Put it this way, I don’t think myself or @Jeremiah are potiential tennents....maybe no one else either.