Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WSM, Lang 84 Deluxe Now an Egg....

Options
Last week I won a Large BGE from a raffle from my local cigar shop. I couldn't believe it. So, of course two days later my first smoke was a 16 pound packer to put it through its paces. I have been eyeing them for years but never wanted to stroke the check given I have other nice smokers and grills. I am originally from Western NC so been smoking pigs etc since I was a teen (56 now). Any advice from other Pitmasters specific to BGEs I should know as opposed to other smokers? Thanks

--jeepdad

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Better to be lucky than good any day...great score.  
    In the main, Q skills and experience are rig independent.  About the only things with the BGE are the ease of operation (no stick feeding) for extended periods of time, the fact that it is air-flow managed to control the fire volume and thus cook temp and the moisture retention properties.  With your background you've got this as I'm sure you figured out with the brisket.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Low airflow compared to offsets makes for a more humid environment, making a water pan unnecessary.  

Welcome and HTTR.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    The smoke profile will be similar to your WSM but less work. No water pan is needed with the BGE. I'm going the opposite direction of you. Coming from an egg to a stick burner. Enjoy and welcome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  The egg is easier to use than the stickburner.  The heat comes from below like the WSM only the heatblocking device is shaped differently so the areas where you can burn the bottom of your meat are a little different.  

Please post some cooks and be a regular contributor.

Oh yeah, the egg takes a long time to cool down so overshooting the temp can cost you a fair amount of time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sounds like you’ve got a nice arsenal of cookers. Welcome aboard. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Well I’d love to see some cooks from the Lang. Building a clone right now. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BugFreak72
    Options
    I don't have a Lang but I do have a couple WSM and an egg. To me the egg works similar to the WSM just with less holes to adjust. I'm sure I will catch some flak for this but I generally smoke on my WSM and grill on my egg because I like how they smoke better. Pizzas are amazing on the egg so definitely do that though. Getting the crust right was a bit of a challenge at first for me but once I got it they turn out great. I can't say enough about how good the pizzas are on the egg.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• jeepdad
    Options
    Thanks Everyone much appreciated.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome! And congrats!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome and good luck... you have options 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"