Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    giggity

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for the price and the longevity promised on these new light bulbs...i would have zero problems with returning them.  2 out of 3 spots in the bathroom are out right now, i just put the bathroom in a few years ago and have already changed out every bulb. 3 over the vanity, 3 spots, and 2 more spots now.  thats 14 bulbs in 5 or 6 years
    I bought 7 LED floods for our kitchen when the bulbs were $25 each. 5 burned out within a year. The promised cost savings is totally bogus as they do not calculate the high rate of failure into the equation. 
    the light in the shower is old school halogen, that works fine and is under the worst conditions
    Freaking amazing the halogen gas in the hermetically sealed glass hasn't succumbed to the horrendous conditions in your shower.  There must be a god!

and ill probably get 15 years or more out of it, with these new bulbs there is no god =) with these new bulbs is there a problem with temp, i have no heat other than the one halogen in there, basically a beer fridge with a shower built in this time of year
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    giggity

one fart and you could poke your eye out.  Owch
    Options
    SGH said:
    New Muck boots for the annual hog slaughter tomorrow. 

Do you like those better than the lacrosse boots? I've thought about buying some muck boots for hunting but the green lacrosse ones have treated me well. I've had the same pair for 6 years.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    On another LED note, I bought two dozen 100w LED bulbs from Amazon when we bought our new place last August (Feit). Probably 2/3rds of them have failed. 
    I bought about 30 of the same generic bulbs for an extension and most has gone in 2 years. The Osram replacements were slightly more expensive but are all intact after 5 years.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I put halo brand recessed led in my whole house when I built it. They are all working great 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've had far better luck with LED lighting than those damn CFL things. Those things never had the claimed lifespan and it took a minute or so for them to get up to full brightness. Hated those.
    Have a floor lamp for reading that used those little 20W bipin halogen bulbs and those damn things would pop about every six months. Wasn't a huge deal but to replace those you had to disassemble the light head. Found an LED substitute and it has been going strong for over a year and a half.
    Have a few LED bulbs from Amazon and have yet to have an issue with a single one (at least not yet).
    Replaced the T12 lights in the garage a couple of years ago with LED's and love them - instant on, full brightness even in the dead of winter when the garage might get rather cold.
    LED's rock!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've had far better luck with LED lighting than those damn CFL things. Those things never had the claimed lifespan and it took a minute or so for them to get up to full brightness. Hated those.
    Have a floor lamp for reading that used those little 20W bipin halogen bulbs and those damn things would pop about every six months. Wasn't a huge deal but to replace those you had to disassemble the light head. Found an LED substitute and it has been going strong for over a year and a half.
    Have a few LED bulbs from Amazon and have yet to have an issue with a single one (at least not yet).
    Replaced the T12 lights in the garage a couple of years ago with LED's and love them - instant on, full brightness even in the dead of winter when the garage might get rather cold.
    LED's rock!
    cfl are the worst.  had my shops lighting changed from the highbay 400 metal halides a few years back to led.  the brightness blew me away the first year, they are fading away now, the shop is getting darker, i am using flashlights for some test setups now. i kept half of the halide setups, some areas im going to reinstall them.  probably would not notice this as much in a residential setting,  but in a highbay setting with the lights up 30 feet its really noticeable.  i need to have someone come back with a calibrated light meter again and retest,  last time i had every light source tested from drop lights with different bulbs to the smallest mag light, the overheads are not doing it with the distance now. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Could they need cleaning?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Could they need cleaning?
    If you've seen his Egg it would be a good guess that they need cleaning. :)
    But the reality is that high power LED's do lose brightness over time but to dim as much as he describes in just a few years seems abnormal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    LED's rock!
    cfl are the worst.  had my shops lighting changed from the highbay 400 metal halides a few years back to led.  the brightness blew me away the first year, they are fading away now, the shop is getting darker, i am using flashlights for some test setups now. i kept half of the halide setups, some areas im going to reinstall them.  probably would not notice this as much in a residential setting,  but in a highbay setting with the lights up 30 feet its really noticeable.  i need to have someone come back with a calibrated light meter again and retest,  last time i had every light source tested from drop lights with different bulbs to the smallest mag light, the overheads are not doing it with the distance now. 

I have been really pleased with the Philips T10 HO bulbs, man those are ridiculously bright. They take a minute to get going when its cold temps, (shop is not constantly heated.) but they are awesome and pretty efficient 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Technically not me but my brother just called and said Merry Christmas I’m getting you an instant pot. What is this strange device that I hear you all mention all the time?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    for the price and the longevity promised on these new light bulbs...i would have zero problems with returning them.  2 out of 3 spots in the bathroom are out right now, i just put the bathroom in a few years ago and have already changed out every bulb. 3 over the vanity, 3 spots, and 2 more spots now.  thats 14 bulbs in 5 or 6 years
    This is pre-LED, I had purchased one of those spiral-shaped fluorescent bulbs with an Edison base, 10-year guarantee.  On a hunch, I thumb-tacked the package (with the printed guarantee) and the sales slip inside my bulb closet, and marked the bulb with the "install" date.  Sure enough, it died after 7 years, and I carefully packaged it all up with a polite letter, asking for a refund.
    Never heard back.  Sure wish I'd written down the company's name first, d'Oh!  

wrt LED's, I haven't had one burn out on me yet; I'm a fan.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    That’s a shame @Botch.  Probably could’ve taken back to Costco or Nordstrom.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Do you like those better than the lacrosse boots? I've thought about buying some muck boots for hunting but the green lacrosse ones have treated me well. I've had the same pair for 6 years.
    @TideEggHead
     Yes sir I do. Let me explain why. Not because they are the cool or hip thing. Nor because they are high dollar. None of that means anything to me.  I like them because I have a severe neuropathy in my feet/legs and these don’t hurt me. The top of them are made like a wet/dive suit and are extremely comfortable. 
    Due to my condition, I don’t try to wear what is cool or expensive. I wear what does not triggger my neuropathy. Hence the overalls etc, etc. 
    With all that said, unfortunately these boots are quite expensive for rubber boots. I use to wear the white shrimp boots that cost 15 bucks. These are 125 bucks. Big difference. However they are worth every cent not to hurt and suffer. 
    I have no idea if these are as good as the Lacrosse brand as I can not wear them for reasons stated above. However I can tell you that these are very good boots the price aside. Again, I would wear them if they was 500 bucks a pair just not to suffer due to my neuropathy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Technically not me but my brother just called and said Merry Christmas I’m getting you an instant pot. What is this strange device that I hear you all mention all the time?
    Tell him to make sure he provides a gift receipt.  Never know when you need to take something back.  You know? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Tell him to make sure he provides a gift receipt.  Never know when you need to take something back.  You know? 
    Does Costco sell these??

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Agree @SGH. @tidehead.  We wear Muck's on the farm here.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Does Costco sell these??
    You're golden son!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A hairs cut.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Just ordered $989 tires for the truck 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Just put a deposit down on one of these child safety pool covers. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Just ordered $989 tires for the truck 
    You milked those racing slicks for every mile. I bet those were fun in the ice storm. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    They are great for soup or stock. We make winter soup with a chunk of ham, lentils to thicken, greens, beans or peas (as you like) and stock.
  • SGH
    Options
    I have an ankle high pair coming that should be delivered today.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• alaskanassasin
    Options
      Got these on my christmas list. but for the big boys I prefer the Bogs stainless.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited November 2018
    Options
    One of these

To go with one of these.
    Ego is much better on those light snow day's . Even throws slush.
    Still love my Cub.

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have an ankle high pair coming that should be delivered today.  
    Well I spoke to soon my friend. They have now bumped my delivery to Wednesday for some reason.  

Status- Standing by.