Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt

Options
Well after 3 runs to get the Egg all sealed, I decided that beef ribs would be my first big boy cook. Trial and error ensued as I ran out of lump about 5 hours into the cook. Not sure if the cold weather had anything to do with it, but I learned my lesson. The ribs i got were cut into 2 sections and I did 2 different rubs. 6ish hours at 275. The one section got pulled off and wrapped. The second and thicker one plateaued on me at 192 and I had to pull it off to wrapped. I still was pretty happy with the outcome nonetheless. I can't get the videos to post on here but I put them on my IG. @gr3glord
Butler, PA
Large BGE Newbie 

Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.
-Anthony Bourdain

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! 

Those ribs look great! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome and the ribs look great-

As info, 5 hrs is very fast to run out of lump. It should burn well over 20 hrs even in the cold. I suspect you can add a lot more lump than you had in the egg. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Rolling in with beef ribs is rolling in hot.  Great intro cook.  Nailed it.
    Here's the key to lump loading-within reason (like well into the fire ring) you cannot load too much fuel.  The BGE runs on air-flow, not how much fuel do I have.  Thus you manage the air-flow and thus the fire volume and follow-on cook temp. So load it up and control the air. 
    No worries about wasting the lump once the cook is finished.  Shut the lower vent and intsall the ceramic cap (or position the newer cap for no air passage), snuff the fire and then go again the next cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Ribs look great, welcome.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Starting with the big boys outta the gate. Great job and Welcome.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Welcome aboard - great first post.  Beef ribs rule!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • gmoorhead
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and the info. 

At least I didn't mess up too bad and I will need to make sure to add more lump next time. It felt like it was a little light but as I looked at it I thought for sure that I would have enough. I guess in comparison to my first 3 cooks (venison roast, pork tenderloin, and steaks) there needed to be a lot more. Live and learn. 

I am super excited for my first "big" cook. As soon as I cut into that first rack, the juices rolled out and I saw that smoke ring I instantly thought "NAILED IT!!"
    Butler, PA
    Large BGE Newbie 

Barbecue may not be the road to world peace, but it's a start.
    -Anthony Bourdain
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    welcome and the problem your going to have is trying to top the ribs you just nailed
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    You can put most of a 20 pound bag in a large egg no problem 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Welcome.  Great cook.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX