Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Tuesday Lunch

Options
2»

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    (Apologies to the broader group for this John^2 wankfest.  Lunch was really good.  You should go to Franklin BBQ if you have the chance.  Other places in Austin are also really good, have better sides and shorter lines.  You have several willing tour guides if you find yourself here, and then you can have your own Q-inspired wankfest) 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

That’s a whole lotta brisket!

I could probably handle an hour’s wait, but that’s about my limit. 

It may be sad that I could tell from the pic of the guy slicing the brisket  that y’all were at Franklin’s. I need to get out more. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    I just did the math...1295 calories. all meat (the bread in the pic did not get eaten). THe only good thing is I have been eating low carb. I crushed that part :)

Good thing we stopped when we did.  1300 calories would have been too much.
    :rofl:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Shirley you didn’t eat the rib bones - subtract 1/2 lb for those?

While that is a lot of calories, if you stopped at McD’s and had a meal of anything, you would easily be in that zone from bread and grease.  Not a bad gorge as they go.

Looks like it was stilll warmer than @JohnInCarolina’s last run.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I have not made the CT (Central Texas) quick stop Austin road trip since Dec '16.  The menu was brisket (no bread no sides and Shiner Bock chasers at Franklin's).  I found that the home-run day was Valentina's (10 minute wait) when rolling in figuring Franklin's-no way, only to drive by Franklin's about an hour later and decide to give it a go and yes a true meat coma brisket overload- two target destinations in a period of two hours.   I liked Valentina's a bit better as the bark was lighter salt and thus a more peppery flavor.
    Next day the Franklin's line-an experience unto itself.  Arrived at 8 AM to number 30 in line.  Enjoyed the whole experience-then Mickelwaites's (no wait) that PM in keeping with the brisket overload.
    Final Day AM-Franklin's in hopes of meeting the Man-success and a few minutes of great conversation.  The off to La Barbeque (5 minute wait upon opening) to pound more brisket before a road-trip to Dallas.
    An expanded road-trip is in the queue for Spring '19. 
    If you have the opportunity or a chance to create and experience the opportunity then you need to go for it.  I mean @SoCalTim flew into and out of the area (from LA) in around 36 hours-yes, with a smile on his face.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I have not made the CT (Central Texas) quick stop Austin road trip since Dec '16.  The menu was brisket (no bread no sides and Shiner Bock chasers at Franklin's).  I found that the home-run day was Valentina's (10 minute wait) when rolling in figuring Franklin's-no way, only to drive by Franklin's about an hour later and decide to give it a go and yes a true meat coma brisket overload- two target destinations in a period of two hours.   I liked Valentina's a bit better as the bark was lighter salt and thus a more peppery flavor.
    Next day the Franklin's line-an experience unto itself.  Arrived at 8 AM to number 30 in line.  Enjoyed the whole experience-then Mickelwaites's (no wait) that PM in keeping with the brisket overload.
    Final Day AM-Franklin's in hopes of meeting the Man-success and a few minutes of great conversation.  The off to La Barbeque (5 minute wait upon opening) to pound more brisket before a road-trip to Dallas.
    An expanded road-trip is in the queue for Spring '19. 
    If you have the opportunity or a chance to create and experience the opportunity then you need to go for it.  I mean @SoCalTim flew into and out of the area (from LA) in around 36 hours-yes, with a smile on his face.  FWIW-

Dude, that is on meat-packed, epic tour you did there. I don't think I can play at that level. Next time you are in town, I'll join you for every third stop or so.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You have to strike when the iron is hot-thoroughly enjoyed every brisket adventure.  I realize when such groceries are right outside your front door the focused deal is not in play but dang it was great.  Can't wait to get back.
    Meanwhile, appreciate all you have going for you.
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.