Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Chicken??

2»

Comments

• NDG said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Got 3 lbs of thighs in buttermilk brine . . I’ll probably do half as Sv/fry and grill others later.  My question is moving from this brine to SV.  Best to rinse 100% and vac seal dry before the SV cook?

That I don't know. When I grilled it, I shook it off but left some buttermilk on it. Not sure how that would play in a SV bath. If it were me, I would rinse after the brine, then use fresh buttermilk for the dredge instead of egg for the fry. Just riffing here but that's what I would try first. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481

About to go into the wood oven. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @SciAggie how did your cook go?  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SciAggie
    NDG said:
    @SciAggie how did your cook go?  
    It was great. I posted the cook. The bird was tender and juicy as advertised. I often do a dry salt brine on birds that I cook in the oven in the same way. Honestly, I’m not sure I could tell the difference between either method - they are both good. Either method is far superior to just putting a chicken in the oven... I think the color was better on the buttermilk chicken. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    NDG said:
    after watching Fat, Salt, Acid, Heat . . The heat episode she makes a buttermilk full chicken.  Anyone see this?  I didn’t find anything on the search & surprised nobody tried it on the BGE yet?  Looks simple, and she hyped it big time. I will try next chance I get, lemme know if you tried ?
    Haven't tried yet, but here's the recipe (link). The series is great, but check out the book. It really amped up my cooking.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited November 2018
    Got a 5 pound chicken today and about to put into the bag overnight. I'll post my cook in this thread tomorrow.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Wow. Made this recipe tonight and the whole meal was perfect. No pics, of course. 
  • NDG said:
    Well that was GOOD.

Dude. This is over the top. 
  • dmourati
    edited November 2018
    Chicken is on. Raised (AR+Extender) direct at 425. Added two chunks of cherry.

And here is the finished bird.

Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati
    TBH, I liked my first spatchcock attempt (sans buttermilk/brine) better than the second. I changed a few things so hard to say what made this attempt not quite as good. The skin def wasn't crisp.
    Mountain View, CA
  • NDG
    @dmourati yea I can see how harder to crisp . . I ended up frying all 3 lbs, but next time I want to do the same, but GRILL buttermilk boneless skinless chicken thighs - lots to explore
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I made Buttermilk Turkey today. It was delicious. I had the browning issue as well but I expected that. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I cooked 2 chicken halves that I brined in buttermilk for 24 hrs. I cooked them in the convection oven, it's been pouring down cold rain all day.
    The flavor of the chicken was an A. The skin was a B. The texture was an A.
    If I repeat the cook, and I most likely will, I will add salt to the buttermilk to help season the meat.
  • GregW said:
    I cooked 2 chicken halves that I brined in buttermilk for 24 hrs. I cooked them in the convection oven, it's been pouring down cold rain all day.
    If I repeat the cook, and I most likely will, I will add salt to the buttermilk to help season the meat.
    It’s all about the salt. I tbsp per cup of buttermilk 
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2018
    I combined this with the Franklin method and made a turkey breast that was awesome!

i also threw salt on a frozen turkey last and cooked it whole and mostly still frozen today and it was awesome as well. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • I combined this with the Franklin method and made a turkey breast that was awesome 
    We are doing g that this weekend as a test run as well. Good to hear it was good. How did you cook it? 
  • SciAggie
    I’m going to cook a spatchcock turkey on Friday in the wood oven. It’s a small 9 pound bird. We’ll see. I’ll post the results. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    I combined this with the Franklin method and made a turkey breast that was awesome 
    We are doing g that this weekend as a test run as well. Good to hear it was good. How did you cook it? 
    Shirley at 275 ish, let it run about an hour then about an hour in the butter. It was off a 12pb turkey so not a huge breast.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    GregW said:
    It’s all about the salt. I tbsp per cup of buttermilk 
    Thank you. I will use your recommendation.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Did this yesterday on the Egg. For me, not worth the effort. Maybe the meat was a bit softer, but I never have a problem thinking that chicken needs tenderising in the first place. Tastes the same, skin the same (did it high in the dome on the MMX, same as for the last non-buttermilk chicken). Meh.
  • Just did a practice turkey breast. I thought it came out great. Skin was better than the chicken we did last week. Nice, salty, crispy, and juicy. Lighting is kind of funky here but the skin had some color and crisped up really nice.

I did 3/4Tbsp per cup of buttermilk (she does 1Tbsp but I thought the chicken was a little salty), let it sit 8 hrs (would do overnight next time) in the brine then wiped the brine off with my hands and let it sit on the counter for an hour. Added cracked pepper and Cooked at 425 on a bge. 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I’m guessing you like a bit of heat. Try adding a fair amount of Texas Pete. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    SciAggie said:
    I often do a dry salt brine on birds that I cook in the oven in the same way. Honestly, I’m not sure I could tell the difference between either method - they are both good. Either method is far superior to just putting a chicken in the oven... I think the color was better on the buttermilk chicken. 
    If that's the case, the cost for the dry brine vs. a container of buttermilk would far outweigh anything else.
    I wonder if adding just a bit of sugar to the dry salt would help with the color; I always sprinkle a very light amount of sugar on seafood for a bit of color, should work on cheekun too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NDG
    another Buttermilk Bird . . just pulled after 24 hrs in b-milk brine (blot w/ paper towell & added pepper) . . going to let this sit for 5 more hours in fridge and grill indirect super raised.  Last time I fried, so curious to try texture/moistness/etc this way on BGE.   
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Pretty Bird - grilled up nice !!  So hard to compare Buttermilk Brine vs Dry Brine (both help) but recency bias tells me this was a top notch spatchcock.
    Columbus, OH