Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey fryer

Options
What do you got and what would you recommend? Just thinking of trying something different this Thanksgiving.

Thanks.

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max

Comments

• RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    Options
    I bought the turkey fryer kit from Bass Pro Shop. It's a pretty decent burner and I think it's around $60 for the whole deal.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like the burners that sit flat on top without the hoop that wraps the pot.  it makes it easier to use other pots and pans without that hoop in the way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    This has cooked a very good bird for me the last two years, and I am using it again next week for one of the birds:

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Oil-less-Liquid-Propane-Turkey/dp/B071VT9RRR/

27 page thread on its use:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @BobDanger not sure your budget, but if you’re exploring options other than the egg, the PitBarrel cooks awesome turkeys. Even better than fried in my opinion. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    to reiterate not having that hoop on top of the burner, i use a 17 inch ci pan on the burner top for searing sometimes, also a big dutch, and my homemade lobster steamer box that also gets used for canning. fits 18 quarts for canning and about 20 good size maine lobsters or clams or corn on the cob. you can brew beer on it ;)

you want the burner to be multifunctional.

fukahwee maine

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I can't remember the brand name, but my frying vessel has a flared mouth, which provides surge capacity in the event of a boil-up.  It's a really nice safety feature and If all other things are equal, I would lean that way.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • BobDanger
    Options
    This has cooked a very good bird for me the last two years, and I am using it again next week for one of the birds:

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-Oil-less-Liquid-Propane-Turkey/dp/B071VT9RRR/

27 page thread on its use:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200865

Have my eye on that one.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Whatever you use........TURN THE FLAME OFF BEFORE LOWERING THE TURKEY INTO THE OIL!!!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Whatever you use........TURN THE FLAME OFF BEFORE LOWERING THE TURKEY INTO THE OIL!!!!!
    wheres the fun in that =)
    fukahwee maine

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    I'm also a  fan of the oil less "fryer."  I've had mine for 4 years and don't miss the oil, cleanup, etc.  Bought mine at HD on sale for $69 as I remember.  I checked and HD has the Butterball brand for $78.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• OshawaDave
    Options

We've done one on Canadian Thanksgiving for the last 10 years. I agree with the cost.....but, it's a tradition, so not too concerned. We usually save the oil and cook homemade fries, blooming onion and fish & chips the day after.

Only advice is to buy a stainless steel model (Bass Pro has a nice model, with drain spigot) rather than aluminum. IMO, better to cook with stainless than aluminum.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• BobDanger
    Options
    Well had to get one...I can never walk out of Lowes without something.

Now I just need some quality advise...not sure I should start a thread though. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Now I just need some quality advise.
    Make loins and tenderloins in it as well. Trust me on this one. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Used to fry a turkey or two every year, and I had a pretty good set up to do so.
    It was an electric fryer, with removable heating coil, A pan with a drain spigot, thermostatically controlled with an automated timer. It also came with all the turkey handling accessories; Drain pan, hooks, handles etc.
    Turned out the best Turkey I have ever had.
    Bought it at first sight in a Sporting Goods store in  Northern Michigan, for 60 bucks.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    "Used to fry a turkey or two every year, and I had a pretty good set up to do so."
    Why did you stop?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I think he's a vegetarian now.
  • BobDanger
    Options
    SGH said:
    BobDanger said:
    Now I just need some quality advise.
    Make loins and tenderloins in it as well. Trust me on this one. 

I’ve got some deer back straps in the freezer I’ll give a try too.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Love fried turkey and have fried more than my share over the years for neighbors, friends, and customers. If looking to get most mileage out of the oil, highly suggest throwing in a few whole cornish game hens later. Better than the turkey
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Congrats on the big easy purchase, I think you will like it. I finished setting it up at my moms last night to get ready for Thursday. We are also hanging one pit barrel style on the WSM. I can’t decide between the two methods, so both is a good idea :)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    We usually fry 2 turkeys when possible. If someone wants baked, then we have 3 turkeys. Yes, the oil is expensive but fried is the best. Quick and juicy. We usually mess around with homemade fries after just because. 
    One of the local restaurants does fried turkeys for pickup. You can preorder and pick it up Thursday. They do a few dozen for local customers. 
    You don't have to turn off the flame to lower the turkey in, you just have to make sure your oil is not too hot. Oil at 375 doesn't catch fire. Oil at 550 does catch fire. And no frozen turkeys. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Toxarch said: 
    You don't have to turn off the flame to lower the turkey in, you just have to make sure your oil is not too hot. Oil at 375 doesn't catch fire. Oil at 550 does catch fire. And no frozen turkeys. 
    Turning the flame off isn't to prevent the oil from overheating.  It's to prevent any potential boil-over from contacting the flame directly, resulting in a fireball.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA