Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Returning an Item to Costco....

Options
I know you folks on here swear by Costco and their return policy. I have a question. What's the longest you've had something that you returned to Costco? My reason for asking this is that my wife and I bought a Prelit Christmas Tree about 7 years ago from Costco that stopped working about 2 years ago. Rather than trying to return it I've kept it and just added new lights the last couple years. If I don't have a receipt would they have a history of it anywhere and also would they take this back? It was around $300 when we bought it and if I can take advantage of Costco's supposed lifetime guarantee I will before shelling out another $300 for another tree. Any thoughts?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I would call/visit the source; Costco.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Ya, I've been trying to call today but apparently their entire phone system is down because every number I've called says its not in service. I plan on giving them a shout but just figured I would ask on here to get a gauge.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Standing by...if you're able to return/exchange, that would be impressive.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Ya, I've been trying to call today but apparently their entire phone system is down because every number I've called says its not in service. I plan on giving them a shout but just figured I would ask on here to get a gauge.
    They will probably take it back regardless of your documentation.  That's how they roll.
    NOLA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Ya, I really don't wanna be THAT GUY who returns an 8 year old fake Christmas tree but these dang "real looking" ones are expensive. If I can get a replacement or at least my money back its worth driving the 4 miles up there to try.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I doubt you would be asking if you didn’t think it’s really not the right thing to do. You did get 5 years use out of it.....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I doubt you would be asking if you didn’t think it’s really not the right thing to do. You did get 5 years use out of it.....
    Ya, 5 years of use is ok. I've just never tried to return anything to Costco before. However, seeing as I saw 2 guys back to back returning clearly well used Kamado Joe's to Costco and getting their money back I thought to myself, returning a Christmas tree that had the bulbs burn out is a little less douchy than that. So am I really that awful for at least looking into it?

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I hear you.. I just sort of look at it as if I got reasonable use out of it I got what I paid for it. They do have a lenient return policy... and like anything some returns are legit and some not...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Have you checked to make sure it is not just a fuse? I have one that is pre-lit but just uses standard cheap string lights. 

https://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p-4347-how-to-change-your-globe-string-lights-fuse.aspx

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Have you checked to make sure it is not just a fuse? I have one that is pre-lit but just uses standard cheap string lights. 

https://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p-4347-how-to-change-your-globe-string-lights-fuse.aspx

Ya, I tried but because this thing is pre-lit they seem to have special lights. I couldn't find a fuse box on it. They aren't LED's so I know there has to be one somewhere but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm probably just gonna bite the bullet and get another one. Just wanted to see if maybe someone had an experience doing something similar so I wouldn't feel so bad....

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ya, I wouldn't go so far as to assume I'm trying to abuse their system. I've never returned anything there before. I am going to try and get a hold of them and just ask them on the phone and be 100% truthful with them. If they tell me "no way scum bag we aren't taking that back". Then fine, I will be more than happy to walk in and buy another $300 tree from them. But if they say "sure, more than happy to help" then why not? I view what I am asking to do a bit differently than returning a used Samsung Washer or Used Dyson Vacuum or sheets. It's a Christmas Tree that I have up for 2 months a year. It's not really "Well used" or anything. Just happens that the middle section of lights went out and again if they seem as if its even somewhat sketchy then fine.

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    Sams club but I would assume similar results - a few years back, I bought a bunch of shorts that were on sale and never ended up wearing them (left tags on). Found them after moving and returned them without a receipt - they were able to go through my account to find the purchase and gave me the refund based on that. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    Good for Costco. I remember not too many years ago when they changed their return policy on tv's due to too many douchebags returning a large screen telly after the Super Bowl.

Amazon should probably tighten up their return policy also.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of returning a seven year old item and I've yet to return any items to Costco in twenty some years of membership but if I did I'm sure they would accept it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    How about accepting the fact that you got several (5?) years out of a plastic tree and recycle it and buy another.  If it sat in a box for two years and then you opened it and realized it was a defective product that would be one thing but you used it for multiple years before it had issues.  People abusing return policies is why places like Nordstrom and REI have had to change theirs.  

Dont be her, returning a (real) Christmas tree in January:

Now obviously THAT I would never do. I didn't feel as though asking about my situation was in any way abusing a return policy but apparently several of you think it is. So I have a better gauge now as to what I should do. I'm still going to call and ask them but will most likely end up doing the very thing you stated which is recycle this one and buy a new one. Just asking for feedback and I've gotten it, Thanks everyone!

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Good for Costco. I remember not too many years ago when they changed their return policy on tv's due to too many douchebags returning a large screen telly after the Super Bowl.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of returning a seven year old item and I've yet to return any items to Costco in twenty some years of membership but if I did I'm sure they would accept it.

So when that lifetime warranty egg has ceramics that crack you just go out and buy a new one every time right? =)

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Get a tree from Balsam Hill if you have to buy a new one. It’s money well spent. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Get a tree from Balsam Hill if you have to buy a new one. It’s money well spent. 

Ya I just looked those up. They look pretty nice.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    How about accepting the fact that you got several (5?) years out of a plastic tree and recycle it and buy another.  If it sat in a box for two years and then you opened it and realized it was a defective product that would be one thing but you used it for multiple years before it had issues.  People abusing return policies is why places like Nordstrom and REI have had to change theirs.  

Now obviously THAT I would never do. I didn't feel as though asking about my situation was in any way abusing a return policy but apparently several of you think it is. So I have a better gauge now as to what I should do. I'm still going to call and ask them but will most likely end up doing the very thing you stated which is recycle this one and buy a new one. Just asking for feedback and I've gotten it, Thanks everyone!
    I’d definitely call them. Why would Costco offer a lifetime warranty if they didn’t intend to stand by it?

When your egg is 20 years old, are you just going to say it had a good run and go buy another one to avoid looking like a scum bag? 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Woodchunk said:

So when that lifetime warranty egg has ceramics that crack you just go out and buy a new one every time right? =)
    Yep. Since my dealer delivers fully assembled Eggs I just find that easier to deal with.
    It's apples and oranges tho and I suspect you already know that.
    What I find most surprising in this whole tale is that there really are folks that buy plastic xmas trees. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Cornholio said:

I’d definitely call them. Why would Costco offer a lifetime warranty if they didn’t intend to stand by it?

When your egg is 20 years old, are you just going to say it had a good run and go buy another one to avoid looking like a scum bag? 

Hence my reply to HeavyG above. I do view it slightly different as the Egg specifically states it comes with a lifetime warranty whereas my situation just relies on Costco standing by their claim to honor a satisfaction guarantee. I get why some people view it as "abusing" the system but I don't for my situation, considering I don't do this on any kind of regular basis and this would be the 1st time in over 10 years of membership with them that I have returned anything. I will see what they say but I'm not gonna get all pissed off if they don't. I will just go spend more money with them because I like them that much.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Ya, 5 years of use is ok. I've just never tried to return anything to Costco before. However, seeing as I saw 2 guys back to back returning clearly well used Kamado Joe's to Costco and getting their money back I thought to myself, returning a Christmas tree that had the bulbs burn out is a little less douchy than that. So am I really that awful for at least looking into it?
    Not exactly setting a high bar for your life, eh? 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Not exactly setting a high bar for your life, eh? 
    If I keep it that low there’s always room for improvement right?

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'd call and run it by them to see what they say. Can't wait to hear the outcome as I'd be really impressed if they took it back after this long. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    When BGE honors their warranty, it’s out of their pocket.  When Costco let’s you return anything, I believe it comes out of the vendor’s pocket, regardless of their warranty.  Cost of doing business with Costco.  So it’s different.

I’ve returned a keurig and a vacuum sealer at about the 2.5-3 year mark - basically just exchanged.  More than that and I wouldn’t unless it was something where the product itself has a longer expected lifetime.  I know people that do, but that doesn’t feel right for me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes, Costco will take it back. I’ve seen a lot worse returned, no questions asked (former Costco employee here).
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    first of shame on you for not buying a real tree!!!! Help keep us nursery garden center guys in business. Secondly I sell cost contact@bpiny.com and I get returns from them 3-5 years after selling the item to them so I believe they do not eat the cost of return and just push it to the vendor, hence why I stopped selling them a year ago but will still get a charge back here and there. Im sure they will take it back but is it the right thing to do only you can answer that
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18